• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dot Com's 2014 balcony grow

just gettin' ye old Glog started as I have some over winters & this late sprout from last season that I crowned last week:

12293641423_f4688ff46a.jpg

looks like 1-2 of my over-winters may've bitten the dust. **it happens. The small one, I think it was a barrackpore, just never had the vigor it needed. The larger dorset, if it is truly finished, I'll give it another week or so, would truly be a loss as I was trying to grow a bonchi. That one I might have over-watered or over nuted.I still have two bonchi overwinters that are looking like they'll make it. Heres the done barrackpore (Hope I can eventually grow one of these) & the "iffy" Dorset bonchi. I say that because one of our growers Down Under had an overwinter that he thought had died, yet it put shoots out in the Spring. Was mega or Trippa?:

12307215805_c699ce2ff5.jpg

have 6 plants still going- 1-2 bonchi's, 3 regular, and the new growth plant

Good luck with the overwinters and any new starts this season bro. Yeah give that overwinter another week or two ... You can afford to wait .. You waited all winter ... What's another 2 weeks ;)

saw this ad the other day and thought a garden gnome might help w/ my yields ;) Turns out, they were sold out so I'll have to pick one up elsewhere. I have almost all the stuff I need to grow plants anyway- sunshine, dirt, & water :) Seeing that wind chime also made me think but I've never had a bird problem so far (fingers crossed)

12640987513_a8334492d4.jpg

overwinter update:

dorset, that I have never been able to get a pod off of going on three seasons(?) Wrapped the roots around a rock (underneath the dirt) & am hoping to have a bonchi come this spring/summer:

12863528114_674f55c0e5_z.jpg

unkown, that I know was a pepper I wanted to grow but can't remember which :oops:

12863529184_1c4c15c311_z.jpg

Jonah  :hell:   is thriving:

12863183043_cb3fd4b1bf_z.jpg

over- winterd guhahati. Looks like she might make it (fingers crossed)

12864222385_df4f48dbb3_z.jpg

This, if all goes according to plan; which it seldom does ;) , is where a tropical, pepper forest will be in a few month's time :D

12864873353_8936fdd89b_z.jpg

that's a great balcony, be careful not to put too many plants out there, you don't want to fall off the balcony trying to get by and water all of them... 

guwahati bhut is looking nice... me and stickman unofficially changed the name ;)

Spicegeist said:
that's a great balcony, be careful not to put too many plants out there, you don't want to fall off the balcony trying to get by and water all of them... 

guwahati bhut is looking nice... me and stickman unofficially changed the name ;)
yeah. The person I got it from spelled it w/ an "h" but I googled it last year and came up w/ a "w" which would place it in Assam- the pepper holy land. I ate one last season & it was a scorcher. :fireball:

not so sure this douglah overwinter is going to make it :( Pruned it back before it produced anything late last season. This is not the plant that I thought was a douglah but wasn't. I culled that plant.

13127693423_0ecdceeb82_z.jpg

the other five overwinters are going gangbusters. Wondering when I should sow some new seeds given Spring is fast approaching???

Been a while since I checked in.

Not been having a very good go so far this season. Two- three of my overwinters seem to have gotten the blight 2 weeks before winter ended :banghead: Add to that, I sowed around 20 seeds in dirt, as opposed to seed starting mix, which is lighter and allows the seed to come through. I didn't realize the mistake until i killed 20 seeds :oops:

The only good thing is one overwinter survived and I got my first hook (choc 7-pot) that I planted in the proper seed-starting medium. Heres the overwinter then, the hook. Lost the label to the overwinter but I know its a pepper I wanted to grow. We'll see because its putting out a pod that might make it:

14008914963_bf0ca3b04f_o.jpg

13989416154_02b0ccea1d_o.jpg

Water those overwinters, and they might surprise you. My tiny Petin, about 14" in diameter all total, in a 3 gallon pot-crispy dried straw colored(rice crispy dry, dead hollow branches-you could brush them and get straw rain)surprised me about 2 weeks -time to yank it came, so like any good pepper head, I scoured the dirt dead leaves for a few dried pods for seeds, and low and behold...hmm, looks like clover starting at the base,,,yep deader n hell...wait, dig a bit at the base,and about 15 or so little shoots were coming out an inch or so below the soil line :woohoo: .I stalled on pulling a huge Black Naga, an Infinity,and a Red Douglah later that day -unfortunately, the rest had been pulled-even a fav.Douglah x Butch T, as after finding the sprouts, I went and checked all the pulled plants and about three or four had green cambium layers below the old soil line.Usually they kick back "on" much earlier-but they did have several hard freezes, so I was sure they were dead. Too late now, anyway, I got to start a whole new brood, so no great loss. These pepper plants are a good bit tougher then we tend to think.

Good luck on your grow again this year, and as Charles suggested there a few places selling live plants that will mail em-I have a12 coming that I ordered a few days ago when it looked pretty grim fungus gnat wise for my last starts.I did the same last year.My guy has pretty much sold all his stock, but I think Jim Duffy at refining Fire sells live plants on his site.
Have a good one-
DJ

I only lost 2 weeks but thanks for the info. Sowed some more seeds in the proper medium this time. Got a 2nd choc 7-pot hook emerging as well. Haven't thrown out the overwinters yet but they are outside now & a couple look like they might be able to rebound. One might not.

I'm hoping to grow a Barrackpore, Assam, & Primo this season :drooling:  plus I got the choc 7-pots. Those should be nice 'n hot :hell:

got the pod hatchery up and running in a more serious effort. I was trying to sprout them under a regular incandescent bulb in regular dirt. Now I have them here in proper seed starting medium. Not professional/commercial grade :P but better than it was. ;)

onFlickr

Choc 7-Pots coming right along. They seem like they have a lot of vigor.

14077769474_1947a6fc98_b.jpg

Yellow Brain Strain that came up as a helmet head. Seems like a runt but it might make it

13890685928_a59090ce66_b.jpg

Barrackpore seedlings finally bursting through. Tried to grow this one last year. Maybe this will be the year? (fingers crossed)

14054176376_0cf4a7d585_b.jpg

Back