• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A Simple Microbe Tea Recipe and Its Effects

Hey fellas,

I have had such great results with my tea recipe over the past few seasons that I wanted to share it. I have used this tea in soil and hydro, but you can't see the results in soil so all example pics are from hydro.
There is another thread (the pinned one) that talks all about compost tea. I am posting this one so people have a specific recipe along with pictures of the results.

The idea is that you add a relatively small quantity of your beneficial microbes and culture them through the so-called log phase of growth which is 'pay me more because I make up sciencey words' speak for you end up with a sh*t load more than you started with (exponential growth type thing). Some of the products can be expensive and some of the people here have ridiculous quantities of plants (Brain Strain Pepper Head, I'm looking at you, for one) so even the cheap stuff adds up. By using teas, you can stretch your microbe products by literally 1000s of times. I used to do cell culture as part of my job and routinely multiplied cells by BILLIONS of times from what I started with. Quite easily I might add.

Basics requirements of a tea are (as explained in the pinned thread) as follows:
Food (for microbes, not plants)
Water
Air
Microbes

Recipe and process
There are many ways to do it, but this is what I personally have found to be the most effective and simplest. Use common sense to sub things out like the milk jug for example.

What you'll need:
1. A gallon milk jug
2. An air pump and air stone (can be small)
3. Flour
4. Beef Bouillon (preferably low/free of sodium but that's not critical)
5. Sugar
6. The following products:
       Orca
       Aquashield
       Earthworm Castings
2mA03Xol.jpg

Directions:
1. Dissolve 2 bouillon cubes, roughly 1/4 cup sugar, and roughly 1/4 cup flour in hot water (can be separately) and add it to the jug. Fill the jug up to 3/4 full with fresh tap water (don't age it).
2. Add "some" of the Orca and Aquashield - Just go with double whatever the labels say and you'll be fine. Give it a good stir, drop in the air stone and set it somewhere reasonably dark (preferably 70-85F). Let her bubble for 24-48 hours.
3. After the first 24-48 hrs, add a small handful of earthwork castings and let her bubble for at least another 24 hours. (If you put it in a coffee filter and close it with a rubber band it is cleaner, but it's not necessary)

DONE! Ready to use.

I highly recommend starting with small amounts around 1/4 cup of tea per gallon of water since he growth rates depend on so many factors. USE FAR MORE DILUTED TEA IF ITS ON SEEDLINGS. You can increase this as long as you don't see it harm the plant, but using over a cup per gallon of water is probably going to be overkill.

After you have used some, you can top off the jug with water and let it keep bubbling. Just remember, it will get stronger. I've let my teas go for more than a month, but I would recommend you start fresh every two weeks or so.

Alternatively, although I haven't done this, instead of topping off and continuing the culture, you could store it in the fridge for about 2 weeks.

DO NOT LEAVE TEA AT ROOM TEMP WITHOUT AERATING. Over night is fine, but if several days pass without air, toss it and start over. Bad guys could start to grow.

uDYisC9l.jpg

It ain't pretty but it works!

The results:

TjAI7fZ.jpg

You can't argue with that...

I have never had a single disease problem while using this tea.

Hope this helps others as much as it has me!

Nigel said:
Ahh yes, the fun and giggles of maintaining dozens of cell lines was always a great time. 
hahaha you too eh? I only maintained one or two at a time, not dozens (luckily). It wasn't my primary job function

jojo said:
Beef Bullion, really?
Yup, no BS. Its an ancient witchcraft rea - wait no, thats not right - its a long-used ingredient of homemade culture media. I honestly don't know exactly what makes it so good, maybe Nigel could enlighten us?

Thanks for taking the time to post all this, man! I've thought about giving compost tea a shot and with this tek, now I have no excuse. I used to prepare tea for work on a much larger scale (250 gallons), but I never wrote down the recipe. The viability of commercially prepared inoculants is always sketchy, but by doing this you're virtually guaranteed a high cfu count. Thanks!              

jedisushi06 said:
How is that not simple????
which one do you mean? :) both seem pretty simple to me

dash 2 said:
     Thanks for taking the time to post all this, man! I've thought about giving compost tea a shot and with this tek, now I have no excuse. I used to prepare tea for work on a much larger scale (250 gallons), but I never wrote down the recipe. The viability of commercially prepared inoculants is always sketchy, but by doing this you're virtually guaranteed a high cfu count. Thanks!              
No prob! Glad you find it helpful, thanks for letting me know.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Much simpler to use compost/worm castings and molasses.

Do you think brown (or even cane) sugar could be a substitute for molasses?

jedisushi06 said:
How is that not simple????

Less ingredients and fewer steps if I am correct. When I read about compost/worm castings + molasses, I think most people just put it all in at once and flip the switch.  I have read some people only use compost and some only use worm castings as well.

jedisushi06 said:
both are simple.
True but what I use I can make myself except for the molasses I buy at the store.
What does all those other goodies cost? I don't believe in the overpriced things they sell in hydro shops personally. ;)
filmost said:

Do you think brown (or even cane) sugar could be a substitute for molasses?

Yes absolutely although there are trace minerals in molasses that is a bonus.
You can even use fruit juice if you want. Any carbohydrate to feed the bacteria.

Less ingredients and fewer steps if I am correct. When I read about compost/worm castings + molasses, I think most people just put it all in at once and flip the switch.  I have read some people only use compost and some only use worm castings as well.
I use three cups of home made compost, a half a cup of home made worm castings and two tablespoons of unsulfered molasses. Simple, cheap and backed by scientific data from Dr. Ingham and others.

filmost said:

Proud Marine Dad said:
True but what I use I can make myself except for the molasses I buy at the store.
What does all those other goodies cost? I don't believe in the overpriced things they sell in hydro shops personally. ;)

Ok I modified it so the steps aren't all separate; it's really quite simple. You can throw it all in at once here too, it can just be a pain to dissolve bouillon cubes without hot water sometimes.

The goodies can be pricey, but I've had the original bottles for over 2 years so they last a LONG time. The major advantages here are consistency (i.e. because compost varies a lot), the various microbes that are in these products (will try to post a list later), and if you're not a composter you're SOL with the other method :) It would be interesting to compare results, but I would be shocked to see any improvement over what these products offer (with worm castings too of course).

Did the whole AACT thing last year with mixed results. Had to make about 20 gallons just to feed all my plants. Although initially everything seemed to get better, look healthier, but then towards the end of the season my plants seemed weak and susceptible to every disease and pest. At one gallon at a time and more than half the mess to clean up, I might just have to give this a try. I do have to admit when you said beef bouillon cubes I thought you were taking us all on a snipe hunt. 

SL3 said:
Did the whole AACT thing last year with mixed results. Had to make about 20 gallons just to feed all my plants. Although initially everything seemed to get better, look healthier, but then towards the end of the season my plants seemed weak and susceptible to every disease and pest. At one gallon at a time and more than half the mess to clean up, I might just have to give this a try. I do have to admit when you said beef bouillon cubes I thought you where taking us all on a snipe hunt. 
LOL lets catch us a snipe!! My wife went to TX a few years back with 3 others on business and they all came back telling me about this creature that they mercilessly find and beat to death in Texas and how awful the people were hahaha I couldn't stop laughing.

I'm going to try to update the post later with easier/clearer instructions. Its very easy and I highly recommend it!

Also - I put the wrong amount of flour don't use that much if you do it before I update, use 1/16 cup-ish

Reactions: SL3
Back