• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Grafting pepper plants...grafting clips...

I've done it but it's tough...depending on how you want to try. The one plant that I had successful grafts on ended up getting sick and didn't make it. I had several others that were close.  Side grafts and approach grafts were most successful. best of luck to you keep us posted!

ive tried this to no end... grafting onto home depot cheap tom rootstocks.... i think i tried like 27 plants and failed each one.

the big thing is matching precisly the diameter of the shoots...  i started the tom seeds like 9 days after the peppers.

i used the silicone clips as well as parafilm... and small spring loaded clips. i even tried the little rubber bands one uses on his/her braces, couldnt anything to work.

i blame it on my failure to sterilize the rockwool cubes, and ham hands.  use the safety razor blades imo, if you do try this.

I have just started seeds for a grafting project. All c. annuum using jalapeno as a base and several others to graft to offshoots. It will be a winter project for fun. I plan to use saranwrap and small office supply clips. Cleft grafts to start. I have seen a couple of youtube videos of successful cleft grafts on pepper offshoots. Fingers crossed.

The clips you have linked are tiny. If used they would have to be done on brand new seedlings. I intend to graft larger onto larger. 

Let me know how it turns out...Good Luck. I'll be tinkering with it all winter. (2 jalapenos sprouted already)

Been experimenting with grafting for the last couple seasons. Mostly I've been trying to plonk two plants onto one so I can have two varieties in one pot so saving space. My hypothesis is that if both sides are drawing from the same rootstock they will thrive equally, whereas two plants in one pot, one may outgrow the other. This hypothesis is based in no way on fact or experience!

Had my best results with approach grafts:

212015090_zpsvmmajzql.jpg

This was a recent picture of the graft site:

725201584825_zpsuqvvjigl.jpg

If you look closely in the below pic you can see two different types of fruit:

725201584950_zpszvzdmdwl.jpg

I've had space issues this year so my grafts have been potbound for quite a while (just potted up in the above pic) so I can't really judge how they've grown.

I've also played with micrografts.

Here is cheiro roxa micrografted onto a bell pepper rootstock:

216201520550_zpsnnm4ujdh.jpg

They've grown as well as can be expected. I gave a normal cheiro roxa and a micrografted one to a fellow chilli grower and he has reported that the grafted one is more prolific with larger pods, although standard has more vegetative growth. Too small a sample size though to come to any conclusions. I can take a picture of the micrograft site tonight if anyones interested.

I also tried to micrograft a cheiro roxa onto a tomato rootstock. It lived but never really developed. I dissected it and there was only a tiny connection between the rootstock and scion. I only tried a couple and I'm going to retry when I get a chance with varying techniques. Here is the tomato micrograft:

2162015205516_zpsa5h3vsi0.jpg

Ben.

Back