• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite nutrients for your peppers...all types...

I finally put together all my photos of the nutrients I use on my peppers and tomatoes.

I'm always open to something new. I have a friend who swears by earth worm casting. I have not tried them, but want to.

Anyone else out there have any suggestions?

Here is a photo list of my stuff.

http://photobucket.com/albums/t585/casevideo/Nutrients

My list:

DYNA-GRO K-L-N (.009-.011-.006)
Botanicare AquaShield (.02-.04-.01)
Vitamin B-50 (0-0-0)
Mexican Bat Guano (10-1-1)
Miracle Grow Cactus Plant Food (2-7-7)
Green Light Super Bloom (12-55-6)
Fox Farm Grow Big (6-4-4)
General Hydroponics Liquid KoolBloom (0-10-10)
General Organics CaMg+ (0-0-0)
General Organics Bio Root (1-1-1)
Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus (2-0-0)
GROTEK Pro-Silicate (0-0-3)

Thanks.

I do. Not just at the same time. I start my seedling with 1-1-1 and Cal-Mag plus (2-0-0) or CaMg+ (0-0-0). Then after plants are maybe 3 to 4 inches I use (2-7-7). When plants are about 7 to 10 inches tall I start them on (6-4-4) and Cal-Mag plus (2-0-0) as they grow into bigger plants. As they start to flower I will also use (0-10-10) to get lots of flowering. I have tried the bat guano (10-1-1), but it is so dang strong it usually burns. I must really dilute down from the directions.

I just started my hydro addiction. I am using in my cloner RO water, Cal-Mag Plus, K-L-N, Vitamin B-50, Aqua Shield and Pro-Silicate. It all the other hydro stuff same as cloner, but no K-L-N.

All my seeds are usually in Sunshine #4 potting soil. It is Canadian peat moss and pearlite. I usually mix in some more pearlite.

Advanved Nutrients 3 part and a bit of cal-mag+
1/4 strength mix for aerogarden starter, full strength mix for small pots (4") every other watering after rootbound, as needed when in the ground.

Wow, you use a lot of stuff there. 

I keep it simple. 

Hydro plants: Flora Duo and Calmag+. That's it. 
Pots: bagged soil is enough for most of the season. Add hydro nutes as needed. 
Soil: just compost, some manure and diluted used hydro nutes.

I keep an eye on the soil plants and if they have a deficiency, I can add some hydro nutes if they need it. Last year all I noticed was some late season BER that is easy enough to treat, but since I was already overflowing with peppers, I didn't bother. 

Looking to get more into the compost tea thing this year. all the hydro nutes can't be all that great for the soil microorganisms. 

Jeff H said:

I keep it simple. 

I keep an eye on the soil plants and if they have a deficiency, I can add some hydro nutes if they need it. Last year all I noticed was some late season BER that is easy enough to treat, but since I was already overflowing with peppers, I didn't bother. 

Looking to get more into the compost tea thing this year. all the hydro nutes can't be all that great for the soil microorganisms. 

Loved that post ^^^  easily understood by those who don't have years of gardening under their belt and want to be confident in their method.

This is my first year garden (in ground) and I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what to do this year nutrient wise and I just read this post and realized that I got it all covered with my compost tumbler. 

Thanks Jeff H!  You could have just saved my sanity.

filmost said:
If you have an active compost bin, it can be done in as little as 18 days. The point is getting it to heat up.
I know it can be done fast. I just don't want a fire. I have seen hay piles catch fire for the same reason. I will let nature run its coarse.

Jeff H said:

I keep it simple. 

Try the organic soil recipe I posted above your post Jeff. You won't have a nutrient deficiency and you can use the soil over and over.
McGuiver said:
I know it can be done fast. I just don't want a fire. I have seen hay piles catch fire for the same reason. I will let nature run its coarse.
Hot composting is the only way to ensure that pathogens and weed seeds are killed. ;)

Worm castings, organic npk pellets for tomatoes, guano, blackstrap molasses tea at times. Peppers dont need too much anyway ;)

Cya

Datil

I'm hoping to start brewing my own tea this week. I just got some worm casting samples, and think it will be good. I have other friends that have beautiful plants, and only swear by this stuff.

house and garden cocos
calmagi
Rock resinator ( im expirementing with it... may make peppers hotter.. good showing so far)
Rock supercharger
Rock asorbalight

i also use nectar for the gods on some projects and that stuff is really nice to use ... makes for easy grows.

-Fresh EWC from my worm bins for the soil mix and tea brewing
-Fish/seaweed emulsion w/rain from rain barrel in soil and as occasional foliar spray
-Fresh brewed AACT w/rain water from rain barrel, fresh EWC, bat guano, grass clippings and unsulphured molasses in soil and occasional foliar spray
-General organics calmag for foliar spray
-All watering and nute mixes are done with rain water form rain barrel...

Gonna fire up a hydro system soon and use "organic" nutes , well as organic as you can be with hydro which is nearly impossible to be strictly organic with DWC hydro system...

For my soil, I use just Kelp/Fish Emulsion and Tomato Tone.  Nothing more.  For my hydro and seed starting, I use Kelp4less 20-20-20 Blend, CalMag+, Fulvic Acid, Humic Acid, Micro Nutes, Enzymes, and Silca Powder.  I've developed my own "Grow Juice - Seedlings" and "Grow Juice - Hydro" formulas.  Each is very potent, but won't harm or burn my seedlings/plants.

Should have my DWC up and running next weekend.  Just waiting for my seedlings to put on their third set of true leaves.

Back