• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ferbys Glog 2014 - 30/3

Again this year I'll try to GLOG from my overcrowded dorm room. This year i will try to continue after april too ;)

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37141-overcrowded-danish-glog-more-pics-less-talk/?hl=%2Bovercrowded+%2Bdanish

I am growing a lot of blushing and brown chinenses, a full list is still to come. (With blushing i mean e.g. CGN21500, peach color with a purple blush)

Also i will grow my possibly crossed mini rocoto again, but since i did not isolate any flowers last year i will grow the F2 again this year. I also have a wild every year and i would like to thank John Fiedler (johnf here on thp) for the C. galapagoense seeds.

I have been looking for C. flexuosum the whole last year but without succes. Maybe i'll find it this year.

Again this year i will try to have a lot af pictures with each update since the pictures are the most fun.

I'll probably also throw in some off topic pictures too.

I am about to zip-lock my seeds with moist paper towel and put them on my radiator. This worked out fine last year when i found out how to monitor the temp.

I'll return with my grow list

Pics of my BOC and a C. pubescens from last year:

peace

Did your Rocoto's cross with another Rocoto or a wild relitive like C. cardenasii or C. eximium ? Rocoto's won't out cross with any other species that I know of.  This year was the first time I had any look growing a C. galapagoense they can be really tricky to get them to grow, but I have 6 healthy ones under ligths now.
If all my peppers come up and I'm already have 60% up now I will be hunting up more space to grow all of them.
Well I hope you have a great season growing your peppers i will be great to see who well they do for you in your Dorm.

Thanks a lot!

wildseed57 said:
Did your Rocoto's cross with another Rocoto or a wild relitive like C. cardenasii or C. eximium ?
I actually don't know since i bought the seeds and they grew out to be a wrong color/size/form, but I think it's just with another C. pubescens.

Oh I had thought that maybe you had grown them before and they had crossed with a wild that you had.  one little trick to keep various peppers from crossing is to wait for the flowers to get were they just start to open and then take a little white paper glue and a cotton swab and just dab a small amount of glue on the swab and just dab the glue on the flower so that it will seal its self shut. Of course this would take a long time to do if you had lots of flowers that you wanted to glue shut, but it works really good if you just have a few that you want to do and then just tag the flower so you know which pods were the ones you glued shut.

Thanks wildseed57 I've never heard of that method before. It sounds pretty cool. I will definately try it out this year.

So! Two days ago i put 50 types of peppers in zip-lock bags on a moist piece of TP :) I'm expecting the first breakthroughs tomorrow!

The list is as follows:

-Brown chinenses
Jamaican scotch bonnet brown 1
Jamaican scotch bonnet brown 2
Brown Bhutlah SLP
Georgia Black
Habanero Ebony Giant
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate
7 Pod Brown
Trinidad Douglah
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
PI 159236

-Blushing chinenses
Puerturican Yellow
Miscucho Colorado
Pimenta Tiger
Pimenta Elisa
CGN 21500
CGN 21566

-Mild chinenses
Vicente's Sweet Habanero
Numex Suave Orange x BOC F1
Tobago Seasoning
Manabi Sweet
Zavory

-Other chinenses
Habanero White Giant (2006)
Habanero Green
Habanero Mustard
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Long
Jamaican Scotch Bonnet TFM
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bhut jolokia india carbon
Chili Gorongong
SB7J F3
Jelly Bean
Wild Brazil
Aribibbi Gusano

-Bacattums
Aji White Fantasy
Madre Vieja
Lemon Drop
Aji Ahuachapau
Inca Hot

-The Rest
Bradleys Bahamian
Tabasco
Medusa
Numex Twillight
Takanotsume
Holy Mole
Pimient d'Espelette
C. chacoense
C. galapagoense
Mini Rocoto F2

As last year i have sown far more than I have space for and i will only keep the ones i like the most as they grow bigger. The rest I will give away to friends and family. E.g. All the compact and ornamental peppers are to give away.

In the end there should of course be a pic. This is a Carolina Reaper (the creaper) I got from a fellow chilihead. It's about 9 weeks now and the only pepper plant i have from this season.

It's a phone photo so sorry if the quality is a bit off.

Thanks Penny!

8 days has passed.
41 out of 50 cultivars and 64 % of the seeds has germinated and been put into soil. :dance: So far so good! :party:
Still missing these though.

Habanero White Giant (2006)
Bhut jolokia india carbon
Chili Gorongong
Zavory
Trinidad Douglah
Wild Brazil
C. chacoense
C. galapagoense

These are some ghostpeppers i planted in the same pot last year. It's nice to have mixed colors in the window.
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate and Bih Jolokia Strain II.

Spicegeist said:
Very nice.  I'm curious how your Yellow Bhuts will turn out, there is a lot of variation out there...
Yeah me too. I also grew peach ghosties last year. Pretty hot, but not super i guess and also not completely true to type. IMO they were too smooth and too thick fleshed. I really dig the two from my last post though! I got the Yellow Bhut seeds from John Fiedler, so hopefully they will look a lot like these: http://www.pbase.com/chiles400/image/152638587

Ferby, did you have any problems with the Tobago Seasoning? None of mine germinated this season and I gave them about a month. I guess I had a really bad batch.

No problems here yet. 4/5 seeds had begun germinating after 4 days, but none are above soil yet. I'm expecting them any day now. I bought the seeds from semillas.de.

Ferby said:
No problems here yet. 4/5 seeds had begun germinating after 4 days, but none are above soil yet. I'm expecting them any day now. I bought the seeds from semillas.de.
Thanks, I'll probably order from them next season. Looking forward to following the habs!

capsidadburn said:
Your grow is certainly looking magnificent! I will be checking back for sure!
Thank you good sir. :cool:

Bjornson said:
Thanks, I'll probably order from them next season. Looking forward to following the habs!
If it is possible across the border send me a SASBE and i will happily send you the 5 seeds i have left.

Back