• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Fast germination I think.

Not sure on the usual time from sowing to germination for these strains, but I have a moruga and barakapore that have popped up after only 6 days.
I've been using an electric propagator in my room with 8 pots containing: moruga, barakapore, yellow 7's, and brainstrain - 2 of each and all seeds taken from pods by myself last year.

Ive heard superhots take longer to germinate but I too have morugas, bbg7, primos, and red bhuts that popped in under a week. Last year I sprouted some red bhuts but it took like three weeks and then they died of damping off.

I've had a bunch of superhots pop quickly, I soak them in water for a good 2-3 days and throw them into jiffy pellets with temp set around 90F. Last germination I ran SB7J, Jays Peach, Red Ghost and 7 Pot BBG from seeds given to me by a member on THP and they all germinated in about a week. I found when my temp was lower between 75-80 and only an overnight soak they took forever to sprout, sometimes even rotting in the jiffy pellets before popping.

Did you do anything like presoaking or scarification? What growing medium did you use?

I have some which still not popped and I'm close to a month, but this is normal. Still getting pops. Temperature is around 70. The ones I'm still waiting for are:
yellow Brain Strain, Brown and Indian Carbon Bhut Jolokias and Jimmy Nardello's. Be patient. I thought my 2 Ghost Scorpions won't sprout so I planted two more. Now I have four. :)

I have some Yellow primos that popped in 3 days. But had a brown moruga and reaper pop in 28 days.  Guess it all chalks up to genetics and how the seeds where dried. 

Ive never had the long wait time so many talk about with supers. chiltepin is my current challenge and i wish i started them earlier with my chinense. Going on 10 days in my dome at 87.

my slowest chinense this year popped after 6 days i think.

If they are your seeds I wouldn't worry about anything other than having them grow a little larger than planned. I started early this year to compensate for slow germination like I had last  year, but my seeds ended up sprouting quick quicker than I anticipated, so now my plants are just a little larger than planned. But to do it in soil under a week without a presoak or scarification you must have a green thumb! How did you preserve  your seeds from last year?

Just plucked them from the pods then wrapped up in a sheet of toilet paper. I didn't wrap them tightly and the seeds where nicely spaced.
I then plonked them on a shelf to dry for a couple weeks... Afterwards I removed them from the tissue and placed them in a sealy bag.

I dried and stored the seeds from each pod separately. The sealy bags where kept in my sock draw lol.

My seeds usually pop up in about 3-4 days. I think it's mainly because of where I live. Days are usually at 84 to 90 degrees and nighst are usually around 74 degrees. Temps usually stay the same year round with the occasional 100+ degree days.

This year I tried 20 min presoaking in 3 % peroxide and then 24 hours in camomile tea. Then after 2 days in the soil on an internet router everything germinated except my praetermissimum that took one more day and galapagoense- I'm still waiting those.

mememe said:
This year I tried 20 min presoaking in 3 % peroxide and then 24 hours in camomile tea. Then after 2 days in the soil on an internet router everything germinated except my praetermissimum that took one more day and galapagoense- I'm still waiting those.

Camomile tea rocks, i soak them all overnight in half strength tea. Its an anti fungal as well as the tannin could be helping the seed pop.

@Pods671 I'm guessing with that heat you grow pods all year round.
24 hours after the first 2 I have another :-))) this one is a brainstrain.

I was going on 3 weeks with my C.Reapers, then 9/12 popped up within 2 days.  Still waiting for the other 3.  Going on a week now waiting for my Brain Strains to pop.

Not sure why I'm staggering my germination this year, but it's probably got a lot to do with the fact that I'm a lazy, lazy man, and cupping/potting up a bunch of plants at the same time is a lot like work.

I've got some fataliis, red savinas, and morugas germing after 4 days, the rest of my chinenses don't look like they're doing much. This is the first year I've used jiffy pellets for peppers, usually I use them for tomatoes so I'm hoping it doesn't mess me up.

Soaked my Reapers , TMS , and Ghosts for 20hrs filtered drinking water.Paper towl method in ziplock. Opened every night for a few minutes to get some air. Sprayed them with water . Back in the bag covered and insulated between a towel on a heating mat with thermostat set at 81 degrees. First sprout 3 days. The rest of them within 5-6 days. And some stubborn ones I trimmed the hard part of the seed where it sprouts. Within 5 hours they started sprouting. Once sprouted I put them in soil. Lost 6 out of 60. Got impatient. Should have let them sprout a little more in the paper towl. Not to worry I have more seeds on the way.

Bit of a poor picture because of sunlight but here they are now - March 19th.

c3_zps92708efe.jpg

As you can se only 5/6 germinated.

Back