• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Capsicum rhomboideum. Smaller seeds than even C.lanceolatum!

Mumrik said:

I would never have guessed that was a pepper. Everything from the leaves and flowers to the seamingly semi-transparent fruit that looks more like a berry.
There is some debate as to whether it really is a Capsicum or not. 

Mumrik said:

I would never have guessed that was a pepper. Everything from the leaves and flowers to the seamingly semi-transparent fruit that looks more like a berry.

Agreed. I thought it looked like a cherry at first.

Very cool! Also thanks for the link.

They look about the same size of cacti seeds I planted a few months ago, so small and delicate you worry tweezers might crack them just picking them up. Don't drop any!

Mumrik said:

Technically, peppers are a berry according to botanical definition, as they are a fruit bearing seeds that grows from a pollinated flower.

I grew C. ciliatum years ago before it was removed and then reinstated as C. rhomboideum, The berries do have very tiny seeds compared to other capsicum species that have pods that look more like berries. there are some subspecies that have very small seeds, but I think C. rhomboideum has the smallest seed when compared to them also.
Nigel has there been any research as to what C. rhomboideum may be used for? the berries are pretty much tasteless and dries up hard as rocks, I wonder if it has any medical uses. Are there any other capsicum species that it might be related to, or is there any other species that has yellow cup shaped flowers?

Ripe berry from C.rhomboideum below.

I know of no research on the properties of C.rhomboideum fruit. My suspicion is that until the last 2-3 years it just wasn`t cultivated by more than a handful of people and researchers probably didn`t have any access to the fruit. The ripe berries on my plant are very sweet and have a distinct hint of vanilla, but it`s hard work to gather more than a few to eat, especially as I want to collect as many seeds as possible. I`ve had fruit with anywhere from 1 seed to the vast quantities found in a pod that had 5. It takes a while to accumulate a seed stock, le me tell you  :P

It has been compared to the rest of Capsicum via some DNA sequences and it is certainly related, but not necessarily a true Capsicum. It`s hard to make the call, as it`s just about related enough for some, not quite enough for others. 

I know of only one other Capsicum with a yellow flower, C.caballeroi from Bolivia. I have not got a photo, nor do I know of one. It looks like C.cardenasii in shape, but it is bright yellow. I do not know of any other Capsicum with this kind of cup-shaped flower, although the flower of C.lanceolatum can be fairly similar.

Very nice! I want to have the opportunity, but I wouldn't have much space for it. I see it grows bushy and wide. This year I want to concentrate on the eximium and the lanceolatum.

Some day I will grow it LOL.

-Walt

12603763663_76872e86e4_o.jpg

The rhombs have more surface area,but a thin,flaky texture, probably not as heavy as lance seeds.

Nigel,interesting to see a golf pro use a coin with a date later than '60s.

Pr0digal_son said:
Nigel,interesting to see a golf pro use a coin with a date later than '60s.
Ha, nice one, John.

I usually use 100 year old English pennies on the course. My Grandfather gave me a big bag of old coins about 25 years ago, so I use a different one each year. Last year a 1913 penny, this year a 1914 penny. I think I have every year covered up to around 2028.
BTW, that new camera is really paying off, isn`t it?

Bump!

I had sprouted around eight of these. I gave two away to Neil from THSC and was raising the others for myself.

Well, i came home one afternoon to check on my babies after a temperature spike and they were cactus. I had not provided enough water for them. Being such small seedlings they require a lot of attention.

So, back to buy some more seeds!  Semillas (aka Peter Merle's seed company) sells these at a very reasonable price.

Garretts Bitch said:
Bump!

I had sprouted around eight of these. I gave two away to Neil from THSC and was raising the others for myself.

Well, i came home one afternoon to check on my babies after a temperature spike and they were cactus. I had not provided enough water for them. Being such small seedlings they require a lot of attention.

So, back to buy some more seeds!  Semillas (aka Peter Merle's seed company) sells these at a very reasonable price.
Been there done that! Damn tiny seeds and initial seedlings!!!

As I don't use Paypal, I'm stuck to bank notes and personal checks, so that limits me to where I get my seeds, but I plan to get several varieties from Judy too bad that she doesn't have the Rhomboideum, but Rainbow Chili seeds carries them along with C.tovarii and others, so I might order some from them, has anyone ordered seeds from them and do they accept other forms of payment other than Paypal?

wildseed57 said:
As I don't use Paypal, I'm stuck to bank notes and personal checks, so that limits me to where I get my seeds, but I plan to get several varieties from Judy too bad that she doesn't have the Rhomboideum, but Rainbow Chili seeds carries them along with C.tovarii and others, so I might order some from them, has anyone ordered seeds from them and do they accept other forms of payment other than Paypal?

Paypal really isn't that hard to set up. Having said that i understand some people do not use it for other reasons.

You would save serious $ buying from Semilla's versus Rainbow Chili Seeds. I just had a look and as an example the C. Tovarii is listed at $7 a packet where as Semilla's sell all their seeds for $1.50 Euro with  a $2 postage fee for any amount of seeds purchased.

Up to you though, i am sure others would take money orders / personal checks.

I could ask if they will take a bank note as they are a good vendor, right now though I'm waiting on some wild seeds to be sent to me. As I don't know what species they might be, I'm waiting to buy anything till I get them.

Back