• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

"Not White" Yellow Bhut Community Grow

Okay, I've intended to start this thread for awhile now.  The impetus for this is a couple of plants I grew last year.  They were White Bhut Jolokias, seed for which I got from PepperLover.  While the majority of plants grown from those seeds were true to type, two produced yellow pods instead of white.  Judy tells me the White BJ was created by crossing a Yellow BJ with a White Habanero, so it's not surprising a plant might revert to yellow.

In any case, this is what those "not white" pods looked like:
2aouo3.jpg

You can read what I had to say about them in my 2013 glog here.  Long story short, it is a superior pod in size, shape, texture, heat level, flavor and fragrance.  The pods have a very distinct banana fragrance to them, enough that even I could smell it, and I normally have difficulty smelling the fruity overtones of peppers.  The plants were healthy and productive, though I don't recall anything particularly distinctive about them, other than the pods.

Compare those to the regular Yellow Bhut Jolokia, seed also from Judy:
2na037t.jpg

I know there are other variations of the Yellow BJ out there, as well, but I think attempting to stabilize this "not white" is an effort worth pursuing. 

I've already distributed seeds to a few people, and while they are not obligated to participate here (since I hadn't thought of this thread when I sent them the seeds), I hope they will choose to participate.  I have plenty of seeds for others who wish to participate, but a limited postage budget.  So I'll send free seeds post-paid to the first ten people who post here asking for them, who either have a current grow log or had one last year, and also agree to participate in this community grow log.

It may turn out that none of the seeds produce plants that match the parent, but the more people growing, the better the chances.  If the phenotype does reproduce and we can stabilize it, it will be a nice addition to the BJ family.

Edit:  PS - I can really only cover postage to US destinations.

Edit: - Cleaned up grammar.

John, I know its late, but I would help with the grow out.  That pod looks a lot like my early yellow bhuts I grew from Asia gardens/ebay in 2010-2011.  I don't have anymore of those seeds.  Has Charles got any of these from you?  I would think him interested!

Love to help stabilize!  Have a great week.

Mike

capsidadburn said:
John, I know its late, but I would help with the grow out.  That pod looks a lot like my early yellow bhuts I grew from Asia gardens/ebay in 2010-2011.  I don't have anymore of those seeds.  Has Charles got any of these from you?  I would think him interested!

Mike
Just watching on this one...

This is the plant I chose to grow out.  It hooked sometime between 12/21-12/25 2013,
so about 7 1/2 weeks old.  Now out in the greenhouse:
_DSC1222a_zpsbed9221f.jpg

Should be fun seeing how they do around the country!

capsidadburn said:

Mike
I already have your address, Mike.  Seeds will go out today or tomorrow.

Spicegeist said:
Just watching on this one...
Pepper voyeurism is encouraged.  :)

PaulG said:

This is the plant I chose to grow out.  It hooked sometime between 12/21-12/25 2013,
so about 7 1/2 weeks old.  Now out in the greenhouse:

Should be fun seeing how they do around the country!

Your plants are monsters, Paul.  Good thing you have a greenhouse to move them to as they grown.  I'm going to have to figure out some additional space very soon.

I just want to say thank you for letting me be a part of this  even though I am relatively  knew to this forum. I'll do my best and keep regular updates, the first one being when sow them  and how long they take me to germinate

Miniac67 said:
I just want to say thank you for letting me be a part of this  even though I am relatively  knew to this forum. I'll do my best and keep regular updates, the first one being when sow them  and how long they take me to germinate
You're welcome.  Your seeds, and Solem22's, were mailed yesterday.  Still haven't gotten in touch with newpeppergrower.

Miniac67 said:
the seeds  came in the mail today! i am going to do a simple 24 hour soak in water before i sow them. Lets get this going!
Wow, that was fast.

Capsidadburn's and newpeppergrower's seeds are in the mail today.

I'd love to participate, but I'm too close to plant out. I wouldn't see pods until November. Perhaps next season?

Devv said:
I'd love to participate, but I'm too close to plant out. I wouldn't see pods until November. Perhaps next season?
Hopefully there will be some second generation seeds to grow then.  If no one's plants exhibit the desired phenotype this year, though, this will be a short-lived experiment.

I'll give it a go.  I got 10 days before my next round of pepper planting and 2 1/2 months from that planting to plant out.  I also have an OW yellow bhut that was told by people who tried it is was the hottest yellow ever tried.  I agree it was hot...So I should be able to do some side by side taste testing.

Back