• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Earthworms in fabric pots?

Hi,

I have been reading a few posts here and there on the subject, but can't seem to have a consistent answer.

Given that I grow in a relatively cold climate in Montreal, I don't think my 5-15 gallons homemade fabric pots should suffer too much of dehydration or extreme heat. I am thinking that a peat-perlite-compost mix could get compacted and maybe cause root rot overtime.

My idea is to put earthworms for tunneling and aerating the mix and also providing castings through summer if I am lucky. I plan on using as little salts as possible and will try to recreate as best as I can a good environment for an established soil food web.

Given that they can't exit from the bottom with fabric pots and am asking you guys if this is a good idea.
Would it disturb the roots? Will they have a habitat big enough to find a temperature to suits their needs?

Thanks,
TEURF

I only use pure home made compost for my plants and sometimes I find worm castings on top of the soil or under the pot. The compost still has things in it what they can feed on.
Inside temp is around 70. Haven't seen any problem so far, but I probably don't have too many of them.

The problem I see is the worms starving worms in ground have basically an endless supply of food in a pot they will run out of food pretty fast

especially if it is already composted

What sort of fabric is it... I have seen worms move though seemingly impossibly fine cloth.  On the other hand.. I have seen worms happily living in such cloth pots... compost and worm castings with worms in them will do great outdoor as long as you dont let them dry out or over-water.  The plants seem to like them too.

On a side-not... I was brewing some worm tea a few months ago... and i use these nylon mesh bags to hold the filtered worm castings suspended in the middle of the bubbling brew.  Well apparently my aeration is so great that some worm eggs hatched.. or some tiny baby worms escaped the mesh and were alive and well in the worm tea.... they were fully grown.  Hydroponic worms !?!?

Noah Yates said:
What sort of fabric is it... I have seen worms move though seemingly impossibly fine cloth.  On the other hand.. I have seen worms happily living in such cloth pots... compost and worm castings with worms in them will do great outdoor as long as you dont let them dry out or over-water.  The plants seem to like them too.

On a side-not... I was brewing some worm tea a few months ago... and i use these nylon mesh bags to hold the filtered worm castings suspended in the middle of the bubbling brew.  Well apparently my aeration is so great that some worm eggs hatched.. or some tiny baby worms escaped the mesh and were alive and well in the worm tea.... they were fully grown.  Hydroponic worms !?!?

The fabric i plan to use is from www.petsandponds.com it is pond underlayment 8oz thick.

Wow awesome hydroponic worm growing! I can't wait to brew my first teas!

TEURF

There won't be enough food in the pots to keep them alive very long, especially Red Wigglers. Seeing them in compost tea doesn't mean they do well in a liquid either. Too much moisture is detrimental to their health.

Back