• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Note to new members...0 posts=0 seeds.

Aight folks, bit of a rant here, so apologies in advance. I have noticed a recent rise in the number of brand new members PMing me and asking for seeds. While the wonderful generosity afforded me by the amazing members here is a large part of why I'm here, I didn't show up to ask anyone for anything. I started off by surfing the site and posting questions and comments and the magic just happened. I will say that at least a couple of the recent PMs have offered to either pay, trade or SASE for them...and I have responded favorably to those. 

0 posts = zero seeds at least read the site rules and go introduce yourself in the welcome section!!! 

Not trying to turn off potential new and awesome members. However so many of the new folks that I have given in and sent seeds to are still at less than 5 posts...over a year later.

Am I off base??? Just being a jerk??? 

By the way...a big thank you to griff87 for being the very first member to send me seeds back in 2011 and all the awesome members that have hooked me up over the past couple years. 

Alright...rant over, carry on.
:rofl:

Getting pepper seeds for free is a privilege bestowed by the people who have the seeds. I don't think people should be asking for seeds unless someone has some rare variety you can't find anywhere else. If you do something cool or just are a good sport and someone decides to give you free seeds great, but it's not to be expected..

If you're new, buy seeds like everyone else who started out, there are vendors on this site who are happy to sell you stuff. 

Scoville DeVille said:
Piss poor internet behavior. People asking for seeds then a week later having a seed auction on Facebook. Like we don't realize what they're doing... duh.

Good onya for bringing this to attention stc.
Thanks Scovie! 

OKGrowin said:
Getting pepper seeds for free is a privilege bestowed by the people who have the seeds. I don't think people should be asking for seeds unless someone has some rare variety you can't find anywhere else. If you do something cool or just are a good sport and someone decides to give you free seeds great, but it's not to be expected..

If you're new, buy seeds like everyone else who started out, there are vendors on this site who are happy to sell you stuff. 
I always point them in the direction of the vendors that have treated me right...

stc3248 said:
Aight folks, bit of a rant here, so apologies in advance. I have noticed a recent rise in the number of brand new members PMing me and asking for seeds. While the wonderful generosity afforded me by the amazing members here is a large part of why I'm here, I didn't show up to ask anyone for anything. I started off by surfing the site and posting questions and comments and the magic just happened. I will say that at least a couple of the recent PMs have offered to either pay, trade or SASE for them...and I have responded favorably to those. 

0 posts = zero seeds at least read the site rules and go introduce yourself in the welcome section!!! 

Not trying to turn off potential new and awesome members. However so many of the new folks that I have given in and sent seeds to are still at less than 5 posts...over a year later.

Am I off base??? Just being a jerk??? 

By the way...a big thank you to griff87 for being the very first member to send me seeds back in 2011 and all the awesome members that have hooked me up over the past couple years. 

Alright...rant over, carry on.
:rofl:

Just a warning to people complaining about new users asking/begging for free seeds you could get banned or get some ban points to your username like i did in this topic - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44734-closed/

Hope you don't get in trouble stc3248. I think the admin/mod team would rather you say nothing and hit the report button or just ignore those types of posts.

Hophead said:

Just a warning to people complaining about new users asking/begging for free seeds you could get banned or get some ban points to your username like i did in this topic - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44734-closed/

Hope you don't get in trouble stc3248. I think the admin/mod team would rather you say nothing and hit the report button or just ignore those types of posts.
I doubt it...I am not trolling anyone, and didn't call anyone specific out. Just posting my thoughts on some good site etiquette. I got caught up in a couple threads when I first got on here that had me a little hot under the collar, and realized that the best thing to do once a thread starts heading south is to just opt out of posting there. I was cordial in my comments and will be on any future replies...just gotta stay chill and the boss is chill right back.

stc3248 said:
I doubt it...I am not trolling anyone, and didn't call anyone specific out. Just posting my thoughts on some good site etiquette. I got caught up in a couple threads when I first got on here that had me a little hot under the collar, and realized that the best thing to do once a thread starts heading south is to just opt out of posting there. I was cordial in my comments and will be on any future replies...just gotta stay chill and the boss is chill right back.

Well said and a smart answer. ;)

Scoville DeVille said:
Piss poor internet behavior. People asking for seeds then a week later having a seed auction on Facebook. Like we don't realize what they're doing... duh.

Good onya for bringing this to attention stc.

I have found that the pattern seems to result in a search for the word "free" using the THP Search function. I get PMs from members (whose only posts are asking other members for seeds) that are enquiring about a specific seed variety I offered 8 months ago.

My response has been to make sure that I close my SASE offers when they are no longer available and I begin my SASE offers with a specific timeline of availability (like "offer is open for the next 2 weeks or until seeds are gone"). I don't get the PMs asking about an offer from 8 months ago since I have begun using this approach.

Like you said the magic just happens. I joined after lurking a few weeks because it just plain seemed like an awesome thing to be part of. And it is! I had a few varieties that i was looking for but didn't join for that. then like day 3 an Aji Joe sale, like $1 for a bag of what i was looking for! Magic!

I give a few away to a few who ask nicely.
I happened to have a bunch that would just sit and turn to dust, so why not?

Couple years of SFRB's adds up to a load of seeds, and random interesting ones go in a "freebie bag".

"Mystery Peppers" in my vernacular.

Easy way for those interested to get involved with little (if any) expense, and if their interest and activity grows, I expect they will remember how they got started and pass it on.

Of course, "Select" varieties in excess are saved for trading or giving to active members. ;)

I like this, I've been posting here since August and still haven't gotten the stones to ask anyone for seeds.  I post to a lot of forums and I know it can take a while for people to warm up to me.  I did buy some seeds from some of the vendors who post here, but it seems rude to come in brand new and start shaking down members for seed handouts.

That being said, I already actively trade with a local commune and some guys I work with.

Back