• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Oddest type of meat that you enjoy eating.

I'm just curious if there's any others out there that enjoy eating meat that's kind of out of the norm. I actually really enjoy eating deer heart. I know it sounds gross, but it's actually really good. I cut out the hard artery looking things and stick a fillet knife in it. I cut it in a circular motion from the outside in until I reach the center. It'll end up being one long strip of meat. While I'm in there I trim out the other tough looking connective parts. Then I rub olive oil on it, sprinkle garlic powder, and dice up some onions in it. I put a couple strips of bacon along it and roll it all up. Put more bacon around the outside and toothpick it together. Then I place it in the oven on 350 until it's done. It honestly taste like a roast, but the texture's a little different. My wife tried it and actually said she was suprised that it did taste good. I'm just curious if there's anything odd that anyone else likes to eat here? I think I remember a guy eating some bugs on here one time, so I know I'm not alone...lol!!

Snapping Turtle, Blood Sausage and Pork Brains are foods I love than no one else in my family will even look at.

Mike

Lamb brain, chicken and bull testicles, cow spleen and pretty much everything kosher... weird or not.

I actually love escargot as well. Lamb tongue is good, and I've heard snapping turtle is good, but haven't had it yet. I'll have to try it. Haven't had the pig brains yet though. My grandma has as a kid.

rabbit said:
I actually love escargot as well. Lamb tongue is good, and I've heard snapping turtle is good, but haven't had it yet. I'll have to try it. Haven't had the pig brains yet though. My grandma has as a kid.
I love tongue! I like everything. :oops:

Dad's cousin loved groundhog. He would fix them on a rack because they had so much fat the grease would fill the skillet.

Mike

Omri said:

Your not alone man. Maybe it's not just me. I noticed a few people on here will eat just about anything INCLUDING myself! Also, yes I've eaten squirrel, gator, rabbit, ect as well. Hence, my signature:lol: A couple of those things you guys said on there sounds interesting. If I have a chance I'll try them.

NatGreenMeds said:
Snails are delicious. I guess the strangest one I've eaten and eat when available is rattlesnake BBQ. Once you try it, you'll never think it's weird again.

When I was younger and in better heart health, the high cholesterol innards of lots of animals were favorites. Brains are awesome and can be cooked in many ways.

Gator is very good and in very good supply where I live.

Sushi of course. There are a few types of sushi that are a little weird.

I like sushi, but honestly the only kind I really like is the salmon.

rabbit said:
I noticed a few people on here will eat just about anything INCLUDING myself!

Shouldn't it read: "I noticed a few people on here, including myself, will eat just about anything."??? :cool:

dogeater.jpg

dogeater2.jpg

Omri said:
I love tongue, mainly Ox's tongue but I'm really fussy with meat (annoyingly fussy). I won't eat anything off the bone, chicken leg, etc. I'm guaranteed to find a bit of bone or chewy bit in a sausage, burger or a slice of ham. I'll find bone in a tin of tuna.

rainbowberry said:
I love tongue, mainly Ox's tongue but I'm really fussy with meat (annoyingly fussy). I won't eat anything off the bone, chicken leg, etc. I'm guaranteed to find a bit of bone or chewy bit in a sausage, burger or a slice of ham. I'll find bone in a tin of tuna.
That's actually a good thing. more for me! :lol:

Philipperv said:

You've got me beat Philip:shocked::lol:. While I couldn't eat my pet, I've always wondered why people judge on what animals fair game for food. As long as it's not human it's all food and edible in my eyes. Just out of curiosity though. What's it taste like? I had a friend in the army that ate spider monkey before and dog when he was in Korea. (The spider monkey was near south america I believe though.) Is it more like Chicken, Beef, or Pork?

Back