• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

AJI 2013???

I tried to grow a plant from one of these peppers last year. No luck.
I also gave my friend some seeds. He grew a plant and gave me this pepper.

I have been told it may be an AJI Amarillo. Does anyone know what this is?

3f188ff5539f3025b39200e56adb7470_zps0265996a.jpg

fd64397ad44fcdbb16ed6541eadf908d_zps0a5d24d0.jpg

Pepper has the heat on a Jalapeño.

While dissecting this pepper for seeds. I found a twin inside.

91342f02da46bcdd5d65f74a0f0eebdf_zpsa66f7026.jpg

1262d802b3f3bc41bc6fa54be226bf3b_zps56173f0f.jpg

I dissected the little twin.

A baby twin pepper with no seeds.

89eac981c4aea37f94813d9c06c191bc_zps98b01db2.jpg

And the fruit of my labor. Seeds to start drying.

e050b55f8f3086620ec4fd20b3146bd9_zps99563182.jpg

Will try these seeds with saltpeter soak and see if I get them to sprout.

Thanks for looking.

Hard to tell without seeing a flower but it looks like it's in the Baccatum family. Aji Amarillo's tend to be yellow but there are so many different types, and lineages i suppose, that i'm sure there are plenty of golden and orange-ish varieties.

Any background on where the seeds originated from? That might yield some clues.

The original pepper was brought back from Peru. By the time I got the pepper it was very dry and brittle. I think most of the seeds were non-viable. The pepper looks darker in the pics then it is. It is actually orange in color.

The original pepper was over 7 inches in length.

Ahh, then it might be a Peruvian commercial, or "backyard" variety. If they dry it in the hot tropical sun, then it kills off a percentage of the seeds.

But like i said, there are so many types and lineages of Aji Amarillo in Peru, that you may never know which one it is, or if it's a different type altogether.

I still say that you grow a few plants, eat a few fresh, charcoal-grilled, fried, pickled, puree, powder. I bet you'll find a favorite way to prepare them, the Peruvian Baccatums are high on many people's list. The golden colored varieties will have a different flavor than the red and yellow types too btw, like most peppers.

Yup, Aji Amarillo. Peruvian Aji Amarillo (commercial/common varieties) ripen orange, but when used in food/salsa results in yellow color. In some regions they are called Aji Escabeche, and when dried they are Aji Mirasol or Aji Mirasol Amarillo.

Indiana_Jesse said:
Yup, Aji Amarillo. Peruvian Aji Amarillo (commercial/common varieties) ripen orange, but when used in food/salsa results in yellow color. In some regions they are called Aji Escabeche, and when dried they are Aji Mirasol or Aji Mirasol Amarillo.
I can't wait for mine to grow. I love the taste.

I love the Aji's I have one that goes from green to yellow then orange, but mine only gets to be 4'' at best and has thin flesh and a slight citrus flavor. If I scrape out the seeds it has very little heat, even with the seeds left in the heat is maybe 1,000 to 2,000 shu at best, I love them fresh, pickled and made into a paste or powder, I have another Baccatum thats called Orchid or Bishops Hat because of their shape, they have very little heat.  I treat them the same way I do my Orange Aji, but I like to stuff them with a little cheese or meat and then grill over a Maplewood fire, for some bite size snacks, that goes good with any grilled meat. 

I don't think that is Amarillo.  Amarillo is thin walled and dries to a dirty yellow.  Also the shape isn't right.  It looks like what Beth @ Pepermania call Aji de la Tierra.  Check out:

http://peppermania.com/baccatum_seeds_4.html

You will see it has the same very characteristic shape (i am growing these and can vouch for both the shape and colour) and the heat description sounds much like yours (mid-heat = jalapeno).

True Amarillo can vary in shape and size quite a bit even on the same plant. Also the commercial variety can be reasonably thick fleshed and crunchy, yum yum. If you do a google image search for Aji Amarillo or Aji Escabeche and allow non-english results, you will see many beautiful pictures of these ajies and some variation in size and shape.....and most will be orange.

RobStar said:
I don't think that is Amarillo.  Amarillo is thin walled and dries to a dirty yellow.  Also the shape isn't right.  It looks like what Beth @ Pepermania call Aji de la Tierra.  Check out:

http://peppermania.com/baccatum_seeds_4.html

You will see it has the same very characteristic shape (i am growing these and can vouch for both the shape and colour) and the heat description sounds much like yours (mid-heat = jalapeno).
I looked at those peppers. Mine original pepper was over 7 inches long. It looks like the same thing, just bigger.

McGuiver said:
I looked at those peppers. Mine original pepper was over 7 inches long. It looks like the same thing, just bigger.

I have found that very often thse things are either bigger or smaller than what a vendor states.  My C. baccatum Kaleidoscope (from Peppermania) are 6-7 inches long whereas she states they are 4-5 inches long.  The fruit are so large and so many of them that the branches had to be staked to prevent them from laying on the ground!

Back