• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What causes this to happen?

Of the 7 caribbean red plants sprouted so far, 4 of them have 3 cotyledons, or a fused 3rd leaf. I also have one reaper that sprouted like this, but all of the other varieties I'm growing are turning out normal. 

Just wondering what causes it to happen? I'm not so much worried about it, just curious why over half of my caribbean reds would sprout this way. Also, if you have had seedlings like this, did you notice anything different about them as they grew? I can't find much info online other than it doesn't happen often, and may be a mutation? I hope these plants turn as out true caribbean reds!

Crazy genetics. Don't know why? I had a pepper with a twin inside it.

91342f02da46bcdd5d65f74a0f0eebdf_zpsa66f7026.jpg

Why do we have kids with cleft lips? Genetics. Man has really screwed this world up with chemicals, and substances we think are safe. A generation or 2 later we find that what we are using is killing us.

Plants tend to show damage faster than humans in genetics.

I wouldn't worry much. Plant should be fine.

The Anaheim strains that I'm using this year came from a parent plant that continued to grow split leaves into maturity, I'm hoping it's something genetic that passes on to them.  They look pretty cool on a large adult leaf....some of my seeds are hopeful Anaheim X Thai from the same parent.

Ive got a 7pot primo and a bbg7 that sprouted with 3 cotys so I was wondering the same thing. Im just gonna let them do their thing and see what happens

2 of 4 of my red bhut jolokias did this as well, and a month and a half later they are looking awesome and way larger than the other 2. same conditions, same nutes, just overall they look more healthy

Back