• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Big Daddy's Big Bad Trinidad

Product Name: Big Daddy's Big Bad Trinidad

Style: American BBQ Sauce

Manufacturer: Big Daddy's

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Ketchup, Sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, Trinidad Scorpion Peppers, Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Garlic, Lemon Juice, Liquid Smoke, Mustard, and Apple Cider Vinegar.

Label/Packaging: Simple but effective label on a nice large hot sauce-style bottle.

Appearance/Aroma: The appearance is nice. A deep dark red color with lots of signs of peppers, a few seeds. Looks like it is thick, but pourable. With the aroma I smell the smoke first, then the sweetness. I can't really smell the peppers.

The Hot Pepper Award 2013 for BBQ Sauce!  Let's see if it really is The Big Daddy.

Body of Review:
Ike "Big Daddy" Seymour was a legend in bar-b-q for over thirty years, He counted among his customers President Bill Clinton, Vice President Al Gore and a long list of politicians, celebrities and journalists who, by word-of-mouth, made a stop at Big Daddy's essential when they passed through Des Moines.

In the early 1990s, Big Daddy began bottling and selling his bar-b-q sauces in local stores. They were an immediate sensation, and his legend grew as bar-b-q connoisseurs began sending bottles to their friends around the world.  Throughout the city, Ike "Big Daddy" Seymour was well known as one of Des Moines' most charismatic and charitable residents. He never stopped giving to and fundraising for the Food Bank of Iowa, his favorite charity, raising and donating thousands of dollars to feed those in need.

Big Daddy died in 2004, and after almost 30 fiery years, the Big Daddy family decided to close its legendary restaurant. But it is through catering for large and small events around town, and manufacturing those world famous, mouth-watering, heat-intensive sauces, that the legend of Big Daddy lives on.*

*Excerpt from Big Daddy's website.

I am thrilled to be trying the sauces of such a great and respected man.  I know that Barbecue Cane, as he is known here on THP, is carrying on the legacy.

On to the sauce, Big Bad Trinidad is the hottest of the Big Daddy's line, I figured I would review it first.  The initial taste is very interesting.  There is so much going on here.  I taste the sweetness immediately followed by the smoke flavor.  Personally, I am not much of a fan of liquid smoke.  I would prefer to impart the smoke flavor when I BBQ/smoke the meat, but I can see how it would be beneficial if you are just grilling, or using on baked or fried foods.   After the smoke, the tanginess of the mustard and the apple cider vinegar comes through and the worcestershire provides depth.  I don't get much of the garlic as I am eating it, but it is there in the aftertaste.  This is a well-crafted sauce.  I would say this is a Kansas City-style BBQ sauce based on the sweetness.  Every bite has bits of chile in it which gives you a burst of pepper flavor.

The heat is probably pretty intense for the public, but for a chilehead, it is more than bearable.  It is a slow building heat which I expected with the use of the trinidad scorpions.  I love the scotch bonnets.  They give you a warm slight burn all around the tongue.  I am eating this right off the spoon and going back for more.  I will tell you though, that I am starting to sweat a little.

The consistency is great on this sauce.  It is thick and sticky, but still pours nicely.  I love the rustic feel of it with all the bits of pepper flesh in there.

Heat Level: 7

Applications: Anything BBQ. I love this on ribs, chicken, shrimp, pork butt. This would also be good on a burger.

Appearance Score: 4.5
Aroma Score: 4.5
Taste Score: 5
Mouthfeel Score: 4.5
Heat Accuracy Score: 4

Overall Score: 4.5

Notes: A wonderful, wonderful BBQ sauce. I can see why it won The Hot Pepper Award - Overall for BBQ Sauce in 2013!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 131
It was showing redtail Forrester as posting today... But when you get in here its from 2014. It was definitely at the top of the new content when I clicked on it

Website is down, I did message him on FB and got an auto reply.  Will update when I hear from him.  He has been doing local markets and shows and has at least two new products so I am hopeful to score some of these sauces again.

Looks like he has quite the collection in his product line. I'll have to try some of his stuff out. Hard to find good bbq sauce. Most of the stuff available at the store stinks so I prefer to just make my own. It's probably been years since I actually bought a commercial bbq sauce.

It's a good sauce, if I remember not too sweet, just right, and not filled with a bunch of crap, pretty simple, tangy, with good heat and pepper flavor. Not "molassesy" like some others, and the liquid smoke does not "stick out" which can be bothersome.

Good to know. I'm not a huge fan of any sauce that leans heavy toward the side of sweetness like a lot of the commercial ones do. Mainly because of the taste but also cuz it burns too damn easy

I'm going from memory so take it with a grain of pepper.

JayT said:
I talked to him and they don't have any sauce available right now.
Bummer. Did you at least get the stuff you ordered from the other site?

Back