• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Naga Morich Vinegar

So my buddy grows all sorts of peppers (which I'm now getting into) and had a bunch of naga morich...mislabeled them, and ended up making this killer sweetish blended salsa that was too hot for him. In the process, he saved a nice big jar of delicious vinegar for me that was strained from it. 

It's very sweet, vinegary, a gorgeous peach color and of course pretty hot. I'm looking for ideas on what to use it with. Yeah, I can make a salsa or a sauce, but I'm looking for something different. 

My only thought right now is to add it to a mash way later when I make my next mash ferment, which I can't do right now because I don't have any peppers at the moment.

Taking all advice. And in case anyone is curious, I have 16 ounces of it.

Pepperjack91 said:
Ever use oil and vinegar as a salad dressing???

:fireball:
Of course. I'm looking for something different. I watch cooking shows relentlessly and I'm told by more than a dozen people in my life I should be on one of these challenge shows for the home cook, since I'm not a professional. I dare say I'm a pretty great cook. BUT, having said that, if I could find a unique salad dressing blend...I'm actually eating the salsa right now, feeling the flavor profile on the tongue and I think some mango would be amazing with it. 

Thanks for the suggestion.
Okay, so I'm thinking of using it in a homemade bbq sauce. I think it would be bangin' on some ribs OR homemade sloppy joes!

Pepperjack91 said:
Collard greens. Yes sirrrrrrrr

jedisushi06 said:
f**k yeah with garlic and onion and homemade stewed tomatoes.

Good call! I make ours with some smoked ham hocks in them. Gotta love soul food!

Dykealiscious said:
So I did the homemade bbq sauce. HOLY HECK twas the best sauce I think I've personally had in a long time. Gave a lot away too. 
Good idea! I'd be willing to provide my professional opinion as a food critic. ;)

Good call! I make ours with some smoked ham hocks in them. Gotta love soul food!

Good idea! I'd be willing to provide my professional opinion as a food critic. ;)

Ill make some again and keep you in mind. I have more vinegar

TrueNorthReptiles said:

Soooo I went ahead and made a new batch of sauce. YUMMMMM. I'm good on my word. PM me your address and I'll send you a sample. My only request is that you send me the bottle back when you're done or if you have one just like it (dasher) send me one in return. I bought a 6 pack and I'm down to 5. We trade homemade sauces at work and occasionally I don't get the bottles or jars back.

If you like it, I'll send you the ingredients list. I'm not much for measuring, I'm a taster cook, and I do well. So you figure it out. ;)

Dykealiscious said:

Soooo I went ahead and made a new batch of sauce. YUMMMMM. I'm good on my word. PM me your address and I'll send you a sample. My only request is that you send me the bottle back when you're done or if you have one just like it (dasher) send me one in return. I bought a 6 pack and I'm down to 5. We trade homemade sauces at work and occasionally I don't get the bottles or jars back.

If you like it, I'll send you the ingredients list. I'm not much for measuring, I'm a taster cook, and I do well. So you figure it out. ;)

Can do! I dropped you a line. Can't wait til I get more pods so I can do the same.

Taster cooking is the way to go. I follow a basic recipe, but there is always some margin of error involved and the only way to get things perfect is to use your senses.

I got Sara's BBQ sauce yesterday. Wow! I have already smashed half the bottle! Knowing that it was made with Naga morich vinegar I was expecting a strong vinegar flavor (like Kraft BBQ sauce) along with enough heat to melt concrete. This sauce is actually the exact opposite. It is quite tangy and all the flavored were well balanced to my palate. Not too thick, not too runny. Just right for me! The heat and vinegar flavor was very subtle. Just enough heat to let you know it was there, but not so much it is a one person sauce. Our whole family was able to enjoy it without suffering. I think tomorrow I am going to make some BBQ burgers with the remaining sauce. Hopefully she will be kind enough to pass along the recipe to the fine folks here so we can all get a chance to enjoy it. I know I wanna make up a batch!

Dykealiscious, I've got a couple sauces to send you now. I'm gunna attempt to recreate my Moruga scorpion hot sauce that I made a while back. I'm also gunna whip up some pineapple-orange hot sauce as well as my take on a jerk marinade. I've also got some hard candies to throw in as well.

Thanks again!

Back