• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

filmost 2014 - Year of the Pepper Podding Up!

--- In case just stumbled on to this, my 2015 glog is here ---

Hey all, figured it was time I started my glog. I will be managing it off site since I plan to translate the content later in hopes of connecting with the locals here in Japan. I will post short blurbs here with links back to my site; feel free to comment here or on the individual posts. Since updates will be in the comments of this thread, I will also post a link to the specific comment entry here as well. And on we go!

Blog Posts:

2014 The Year of the Pepper

Keep Calm and Grow On (3/6/2014) - (forum post here)

How do you harden your plants? (3/13/2014) - (forum post here)

2014 Glog Update #4 (3/23/2014) - (forum post here)

2014 Glog Update #5 (4/30/2014) - (forum post here)

2014 Glog Update #6 (5/27/2014) - (forum post here)

This is my second year with a garden. Never in my mind (or any one close to me) did I imagine I would get so into it. Last year I got started late and most of my plants never got anywhere. The only ones that took off were an unknown annuum my parents gave me, jalapenos, and a bell pepper. Even still,  I didn't really get any pods until fall.

This year I started my seeds in January with the majority of them fully sprouted by about the 3rd week. I followed up later with additional plantings after I received new seeds. Among the more interesting of my grow list this year (and the ones I am most interested in) are Rocoto de Seda from Semillas.de, Giant Mexican Rocoto from PepperLover, and some unknowns from Gotrox; if interested hit the link for the full list.

I'll end this here with the latest pic I have of my windowing facing grow space where the overwinters spend their time and the seedlings get to go when the weather is nice and sunny. Cheers!

VvmLGuu.jpg

Thanks everyone. It has been an interesting experience so far, and I've made notes of what I would do different next year already!

Nice job. Is this your first year growing the blue tomato? I planted some this year for fun.

Yep. Actually this is my first year with a lot of these plants.

Some how I notice the tomatoes are doing a lot better than the peppers

filmost said:
Yep. Actually this is my first year with a lot of these plants.

Some how I notice the tomatoes are doing a lot better than the peppers
Tomatoes grow a lot quicker.
Chillies are agonisingly slow to start with. They get to a certain size and you can notice them growing by the day.

Warming up now in Japan. Can't wait to get my chillies hardening off

georgej said:
Tomatoes grow a lot quicker.
Chillies are agonisingly slow to start with. They get to a certain size and you can notice them growing by the day.

Warming up now in Japan. Can't wait to get my chillies hardening off

Yeah I have noticed that. So slooowww. Cucurbits are very fast as well.

Yeah man, can't wait to get them outside and into the dirt. How do you harden yours off? Can it be done inside next to a large very sunny window, or is hardening off strictly an outside thing? Wasn't sure how I was going to manage hardening off outside with work and all.

I hardened off next to a sunny window, yep. Given how poorly insulated Japanese houses are its almost like outdoors!

I moved them from the grow box to the window ledge for a few hours, then back to the grow box. Repeated it a few times then finally just left them by the window. Left an oscillating fan running nearby and then started opening the windows too. Worked fine for me

Awesome, that is what I will be probably be doing then! Hopefully the weather starts warming up consistently, this back and forth shit is getting crazy.

filmost said:
Among the more interesting of my grow list this year (and the ones I am most interested in) are Rocoto de Seda from Semillas.de, Giant Mexican Rocoto from PepperLover
Looking forward to seeing how these two come out...   I really wanted the semillas one, but opted for Judy's Giant Mexican instead.  keep us updated!

Good luck to your grow this year...  I'm sure it will be superb.  

Nice start, very uniform - did you germinate directly in the cups or transplant into them?  When's your plant out date?

Back