• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I Need Help

I have recently grown simple sweet banana peppers and have had okay success but I just kept 5 plants in a garden tray which was only like 5 inches deep. I have ordered tons of seeds from Bakers Peppers and some people are sending me some from youtube.

I was wondering what size pots to start in and move to.
I bought a a germination kit which has starter pellets. So I was planning on going from the pellet to a red solo cup.
1) pellet
2) red solo cup
3) WHAT SIZE POT
4) WHAT SIZE POT
5) ETC....

Thank you, :dance:
Max from florida

Welcome to the forum!

First two options  look nice.

Go into 3 gallon pot after cup, then 7 gal. Should be fine from then onwards. Just be careful not to overwater from the solo cup into the 3 gallon, it is a little bit big jump for a new grower. If you don't feel good about it, use a 1 gallon first.

cruzzfish said:
Welcome to the forum!

First two options  look nice.

Go into 3 gallon pot after cup, then 7 gal. Should be fine from then onwards. Just be careful not to overwater from the solo cup into the 3 gallon, it is a little bit big jump for a new grower. If you don't feel good about it, use a 1 gallon first.
Okay thank you for the information. W ill the bigger the pot mean bigger plants? I want the most peppers possible hahah
Also how often is good to water

maxdantonio3 said:
Okay thank you for the information. W ill the bigger the pot mean bigger plants? I want the most peppers possible hahah
Also how often is good to water
Bigger pot means bigger plant, but only up to 7-10 gallons.
Water is a difficult issue. If the seedlings are on a heatmat, sprinkle water daily. If not, then every few days sprinkle should be fine. Ask around the forums with that though, I lost 5/6 of my madballz to watering issues earlier, and the last one is just getting strong enough that I can afford to goof once in a while. But once they really become set plant, as in 6 or so true leaves and a bit of wood, water them as the soil becomes dry/they start drooping a little bit. Hope all goes well.

Okay I will keep that in mind. Would you be willing to trade seeds later on
cruzzfish said:
Bigger pot means bigger plant, but only up to 7-10 gallons.
Water is a difficult issue. If the seedlings are on a heatmat, sprinkle water daily. If not, then every few days sprinkle should be fine. Ask around the forums with that though, I lost 5/6 of my madballz to watering issues earlier, and the last one is just getting strong enough that I can afford to goof once in a while. But once they really become set plant, as in 6 or so true leaves and a bit of wood, water them as the soil becomes dry/they start drooping a little bit. Hope all goes well.
^^^^

1) paper towel ziploc bag
2) 3.5in x 4.5in nursery pot (p86d)
3) 5 gallon bag

4) if growing 2nd year / overwinter 10/20 gal pot

My opinions:
Pellets are a waste of time and money, just go straight form germination to nursery pot/solo cup
The 3.5in deep nursery pot takes up same room as solo cup but is 24oz (8 oz more than solo cup)
5 gallon is good..

there was video of big ass pepper tree (6ft tall) in a 150 litre container.

OKGrowin said:
1) paper towel ziploc bag
2) 3.5in x 4.5in nursery pot (p86d)
3) 5 gallon bag

4) if growing 2nd year / overwinter 10/20 gal pot
It's it better to start in paper towel or will my kit be enough

maxdantonio3 said:
It's it better to start in paper towel or will my kit be enough
you can use that kit if you want. Then you can try some on the ziploc method.

see which you like better.

Back