• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First Crop Ever

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hey all![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Brief background:  I have never grown anything before. Somebody gave me a ghost pepper in the fall. Before using the pepper in my cooking, i scraped out all of the seeds. Harvested 56 seeds. I planted them in a Burpee peat-pod starting kit (I later read you shouldn't use the peat-pods for starting hot peppers. Oh well. too late for that)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]All ghost pepper seeds. (I think)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Planted 2/18[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]first sprout (hook) Tuesday (3/3)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]placed the whole tray in a makeshift grow house (3/4) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Took this picture this morning. [/SIZE]
(The site wont let me embed google pics so here is the link)

http://goo.gl/FP5iTD

Exciting week, Lot's of growth. 
I will continue to search the boards looking for answers, But if anybody wants to throw out some answers to these questions I'll gladly take help. :-)

When should i transplant to larger pots? 
Can these material bags go with the transplant?
 Thanks for reading!!

Looks good, what you're doing is perfectly fine just not as easy as it could be =]

1. i start out in solo cups so i don't have to transplant, You can do that whenever, usually people wait after set of true leaves.(second leaves (cotyledons don't count lol))
2. you should cut it up or tear it off as much as you can without damaging root.

DrAlbin said:
[SIZE=10.5pt]Took this picture this morning. [/SIZE]
(The site wont let me embed google pics so here is the link)

http://goo.gl/FP5iTD

You can do it this way:
IMAG0160.jpg

There are a bunch of double sprouted pods. Should i do anything to separate them? or just let nature take its course. 36 pods planted 33 sprouted. It looks like i am going to lose another, The seed came out with the plant. I am happy with 32.

Picture taken 3/12
IMAG0171.jpg

Those are great looking sprouts and great germination rates, so you're doing something right :D Congrats!

Carefully clip one of the doubles, but, as practice or for some reason you need 30+ Bhuts ( hey, they' re my favorite too), at that stage you could split the wrapper with a X-acto and careful crumble the medium until the plants separate with as little force as possible handling preferably by the leaves... just watch this video... a good video in this thread.

My personal, favorite soil, and many will agree, is Fox Farms Ocean Forest. 

Make sure you keep them warm, well lite, and not over-watered.

Do these ultimately go in ground or do you have 30+ 5 gallon buckets at the stand by? ;)

Welcome to Pepperlandia.

Thanks for responding. There is no reason i need to have 40+ plants so i guess i'll clip one. Thanks for posting the video link. 
Keeping them warm and well lit doesn't seem to be a problem, I found a pet carrier that fit the tray i had so i turned it into a mini grow house (enclosed pics). I am still using the Burpee tray, and add water once a week. i guess it pulls enough water as it needs it. 

Ultimately they are going outside. The one side of my house gets 12+ hours of good sun during the summer i plan on planting them there.

IMAG0173.jpg
IMAG0175.jpg
IMAG0176.jpg

12 days since last post. They appear to be doing well. First picture included is from Friday 3/21. The last day in the dog crate grow house before i moved to the storage container grow house. Unfortunately with the new pots, i could only fit 21 plants. I tried to pick the 21 healthiest looking plants. I fumbled some of the sprouts during transplant but they seem to be taking ok. Second picture is today 3/24.

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

I love the pet carrier grow house.  That is a great idea, and I may put one together for my starters next year.

Love your pet carrier set up. At 21days after germination, your bhuts are so much bigger than mine at 17days. Now i'm starting to worry.

What did you transfer the plants to, as far as shelter goes? Looks like another foil lined boxed area but hard to tell what it is.

DrAlbin said:
12 days since last post. They appear to be doing well. First picture included is from Friday 3/21. The last day in the dog crate grow house before i moved to the storage container grow house. Unfortunately with the new pots, i could only fit 21 plants. I tried to pick the 21 healthiest looking plants. I fumbled some of the sprouts during transplant but they seem to be taking ok. Second picture is today 3/24.

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

Islander said:
What did you transfer the plants to, as far as shelter goes? Looks like another foil lined boxed area but hard to tell what it is.

A large storage container i picked up from the store. I was hoping it would hold more but all i got was 21. This was a quick splice of the wires, i need to rewire it all into a box.

IMAG0192.jpg

I used Vigaro organic soil from Home Depot. It was a quick grab while i was out. I never looked to much into it. 

Back