• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Very first try at growing peppers. Rymerpt 2014 ( 2 pod CHALLENGE VIDEOS)

1780132_10201563975249812_94634369_o_zpsee15fd1c.jpg

1965589_10201563976649847_1080762667_o_zps9a2b53ff.jpg
10005867_10201563977529869_1914849818_o_zps808d66d1.jpg

The seedlings are Thai and the egg carton is Thai seeds. The other little pots have habenero seeds. I'm also gonna try some supperhot seeds when the package arrives from Smiley. (Thanks again Mike)

I'll post progress often I'm sure. Yesterday the seedlings moved from a small six pack to their new nesting grounds. All rest in nothing but organic seed starter soil and water.

Rymerpt

good luck on your first try at growing peppers...  this is also my first try growing peppers from seed.

i hope those plants' roots don't entangle too much...  

how old are the seedlings?

Those top few look like they're doing well so far.

I do have to agree with jojo, how big of a bucket are those two in?
I just moved my plants to ~2 gallon pots, they're less than 4 months old and look like they're getting too big for those pots already too!

Maybe us CA folk can get together and exchange some hot stuff when the pods come.

Spork said:
Those top few look like they're doing well so far.

I do have to agree with jojo, how big of a bucket are those two in?
I just moved my plants to ~2 gallon pots, they're less than 4 months old and look like they're getting too big for those pots already too!

Maybe us CA folk can get together and exchange some hot stuff when the pods come.
For me the seedlings are a little over a week old. Bought a six pack. They are in these pots just untill they get big enough for a final pot (I think maybe five gallon buckets with holes).

Love the exchanging stuff idea.

Rymerpt

Looking good.  My pepper plants are jealous of the weather there.  They would love to be peppers there.  Mine have to stay inside the house in a greenhouse, due to our cold weather and snow outside.

Talked to a few of you and decided to trash the egg crated thai seeds, I have the thai seedlings anyway. The thai seed should have came up already. I also took the hab seed cups and gave them each their own solo cup (just slid them right in) and added some water. I then put a zip lock baggy over them to lock in the freshness. Then up close to the lights.
1962230_10201573788855146_2016360478_o_zps05dde58e.jpg
1978461_10201573796055326_461995360_o_zpse98b5953.jpg

Hopfully that will help. Oh, the seedlings got to play outside on the patio again today.

Rymerpt

Still no growth in the solo cups but the moisture is now staying in with those ziplock bags over them. Trying to be patient, SO HARD.

Rymerpt

I feel that I messed up the seed sowing. I have been asking around for spicific details.

1. What to soak seeds in?

2. What soil? Mine was organic seed soil (bone dry from bag)

3. What fertilizer?

4. Solo cup? One with or without holes? Or two?

Please help just wanna do it right.

Smileyguy is sending me seeds and I'd hate to screw them up.

Rymerpt

Rymerpt said:
I feel that I messed up the seed sewing. I have been asking around for spicific details.

1. What to soak seeds in?

2. What soil? Mine was organic seed soil (bone dry from bag)

3. What fertilizer?

4. Solo cup? One with or without holes? Or two?

Please help just wanna do it right.

Smileyguy is sending me seeds and I'd hate to screw them up.

Rymerpt

1) Three choices. Water, Water + Hydrogen Peroxide (1tsp/cup), or Water + KNO3 (potassium nitrate aka stump remover). This article uses 0.2% and 0.5% KNO3 to 'prime' for 2 days of soaking and they did very well: http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/43/7/2259.full
   Normally soaked for 'a few hours' or 'overnight'.
2) Seedling soil mix is good, rockwool cubes, paper towels, coco coir, peat moss are all acceptable. Best to read up a bit, but I use coir.
3) NONE! Don't fertilize seedlings, wait until they get their second set of leaves.
4) Solo cup is fine, two or four holes at the edges would be my preference for better drainage. A center hole doesn't work as well because it is slightly elevated in the center.

Cheers,
Spork

agreed with spork...

1.  I like to soak seeds overnight in a cup of tap water

2.  Seed soil is good, don't want it bone dry, try wetting it a little

3.  Don't use ferts.  maybe u can use some root boosters, such as Rapid Start by General Hydroponics

4.  I use 2 cup method...  hole(s) in one, and none in the other.  

watch this vid to see how it's done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_3Bv52vi9c

pepper_zps07adef15.gif

My package of seeds arrived today. THANK YOU MIKE

I picked up 10 two gal planter pots at dollar tree. Then on the way home hit a garage sale and got ten more for 2bucks. Plus I got two five gal buckets (& driled four holes in each) from work. Tommarow I'll soak and solo cup the new seeds. I may have to buy a heat mat. Gonna get soil and fert tommarow for sure. I'll take pictures tommarow, so stay tunned.

Rymerpt

Back