• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Bayou Battle - Roux'd Boy Throwdown

Who made the best Roux'd Boy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Who made the best Roux'd Boy?

That's a po' boy with a roux, combining elements of the classic po' boy with elements of classic roux-based dishes.

As stated in the TD... "The end result should be a saucy and spicy masterpiece of overflowing, overstuffed, sloppy but presentable mouth-watering ingenuity!"

Vote!

Ever since the time I lived in Hammond Louisiana, I can't get enough of Roast Beef Po Boy sandwiches. I just ate dinner, but want Phil's sandwich now. Looks good Phil. I could almost taste it from here.

Wow, they're all good! Happy voting!

There were many ways to go about this but one was the literal route of topping a classic po' boy with a gumbo. Sum dared to do that, and it worked! (It could have been disastrous. Like pouring soup over a sandwich.)

It hit the points of saucy and overflowing. It combined elements of a classic po' boy (fried shrimp) with a killer scallop/andouille gumbo as a topper with the perfect gravy-like consistency for this. The crunch of the shrimp on the bottom, and the gumbo topper with the sauciness seeping down. The softer scallops and andouille cut to the size of the scallops on top. Nice texture layering. It just looked right. Everything fit. Well done and well executed!

For me, that SUMmed up this TD. But y'all decide what tickles your fancy!

I'd hit them all. The roast beef looked EXCELLENT!

The tropical roux, I wanna try!

Voted for salsalady (and i considered TB too for awesomeness, epic melt), i like very much flavour combo (though i don't know Ponzu sauce, but i don't know all ingredients for everyone so i'm on par...) and those shrimps (!!!!!)!
AS always all great entries!
PS: Boss, wrong name in poll! :D (it must be said all call me Essi or Essigi :D)

Roux'd boy. lmao

1182efm.jpg

I'm debating between Salsa lady's and Sum's. Salsa lady's looks so fresh but Sum's has freakin gumbo on it. I'll have to ponder this one.

I would eat them all!  This is gonna be a tough one.  Need to sit back and absorb all of the recipes and pics.  

This is one of those where there is no clear winner!

The votes are pretty even, now get voting, every vote counts!

I wanted to eat them all, but The TB nailed this one for me. The shrimps with the queso... goodnight!

Looked at it closely and would have been a fan if he breaded and fried the shrimp for a crunch, but his inner hippie couldn't do it. And whole wheat. I know I can imagine swapping that bread for a crusty French bagette, but I couldn't.

Definitely among the top though. Saucy as hell.

The Hot Pepper said:
Looked at it closely and would have been a fan if he breaded and fried the shrimp for a crunch, but his inner hippie couldn't do it. And whole wheat. I know I can imagine swapping that bread for a crusty French bagette, but I couldn't.

Definitely among the top though. Saucy as hell.

THP is correct.

I'd previously eaten fried oysters twice and was not wanting to do fried again.

However here's the Catch -22.

I reckoned also with crispy fried shrimp buried under a shit-ton(official SoFlo Measurement) of queso that it would just be soggy wheelbarrow load of glop.

Not only that but with breading on the shrimps and all that queso, it might cover up the shrimp too much for the pic.

I rolled the dice.

Oh well.

But damn.

Eating wise it was pert' near dang awesome and tasty.

Haha "oh well" my ass you are in the lead! Maybe it was a good call.

:)

Did anyone realize that KbKid did Oysters 3-ways??? (Fried oysters, oyster gumbo, oysters bienville)

Dude, that sandwich looked awesome, with the crunch from the fried, the gumbo making it good and sloppy, and the delicious flavors from the bienville. 

Well done. I hope everyone double-checks how awesome your entry is, you hit all of the notes perfectly!!

KeybirdKid gets my vote!!

FD, this one's great because there's something for everyone. Loving how the voting is going. Shows how good they all were.

Phil takes the lead. Keep up the voting!

I did see KeybrdKid doing the oyster 3-way.  And I really have to give him props for really working it! 

Only problem is.....for voting.......I don't do oysters.......no way shape or form......which just sucks cuz the Kid really did do an awesome job!!!!!!     I haven't voted yet...

All the entries were excellent.  But the one I want to eat right now is TBs.  Great work buddy!  The crunchy traditional shrimp is killer.  But sometimes doing the non-traditional thing is more exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back