• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper Severe Mosiac Virus?

sick-cayennes.jpg

I'm fairly certain my 2nd largest Cayenne plant has become infected with something.. For the longest time the pods were looking great - perfectly healthy - but then after a bout where the red aphids got out of control many of the pods just seem to drop off the plant when they're half grown or full-grown & still green. And those that do mature end up looking like in the picture above - often with the ends looking shriveled and darkened/blackened.

I started trying to look up what it could be and -so- far the best guess is Pepper Severe Mosiac Virus.

Any thoughts on whether this seems right or what it could be? AND, more importantly, - best suggestions on what to do?

Many of the newer pods, so far, appear to be quite healthy, and the leaves don't really appear sickly.

Thanks folks!

(* bit of info on this particular virus is at: http://203.64.245.61/fulltext_pdf/EB/1900-2000/eb0068.pdf - page 26)

When I first noticed the issue I was using this:

xeOxslm.jpg

In the past week or two I started using a homemade spray of Canola oil, dish soap and water.

Super Hots Canada said:

Would trimming back the areas that appear infected help the plant itself or is it something that'll be permanent?

Ahhh i'm not sure.. I just know you don't want that to spread to other plants if it can possibly do so.

Yeah there are lots of articles on it. can be ph problem or just lack of nutrients.
I'm guessing your growing indoors or something since your from Canada.
Dunno how you would just get a plant virus out of nowhere in middle of winter?

OKGrowin said:

Yeah there are lots of articles on it. can be ph problem or just lack of nutrients.
I'm guessing your growing indoors or something since your from Canada.
Dunno how you would just get a plant virus out of nowhere in middle of winter?

Yeah, the idea seemed funny to me as well.. especially since the description said it occurs down in South America.. but it was a guess. The blossom end rot seems much more likely - and yup, all indoors.

Noah Yates said:
Yes... it definitely looks like blossom end rot to me.  Get em some calcium, reduce the nitrogen, and water a little less. 

It only has a few young pods at this point (all look healthy) - the last unhealthy looking one just came off today - and doesn't appear to producing anymore flowers just yet so I'll just give it a rest for a while and see about adding some calcium. :)

Thanks for the advice guys! *crosses fingers*

Looks like blossom end rot to me as well. I've had it happen over the years with any variety of peppers, grown in ground, from sweet to hot.

Agree - BER. And yes, calcium is your best friend. I use CalMag Plus, and my plants love it. You can use any fertilizer with high calcium though - often mixes made for tomatoes have enough. Once my plants move from growth stage to production, I start using CalMag with every watering - though in lower quantity than listed on the label.

Back