• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help Identify This Pepper Plant

I bought these from Home Depot, they are Bonnie grown peppers. Two of the three plans were picked up at the same location, the third at a different Home Depot a few weeks ago.

The pot advertisement states Chiltepin, as does the little plant tag embedded in the dirt.

The three look identical but one has large non-tepin sized peppers. Tepins are round and tiny, the two peppers on this plant however are about an inch long.

I suspect these are not Chiltepins, perhaps a mix-up at the nursery.

The leaves look wrong for a Chiltepin. Most are rounded-off and long and narrow like these.

Please help me identify these plants. I have my suspicions but will keep them until others chime in.
pepper_1.jpg

--
pepper_2.jpg

---
pepper_3.jpg

--
pepper_4.jpg

--
pepper_5.jpg

Do the leaves resemble those of a jalapeno? Is there a characteristic of the flower to make the determination?

I am surprised that a grower the size of Bonnie would mislabel so many plants.

I agree with JJJessee it looks like Jalapeno
I bought peppadews.....they turned out to be Jalapenos and cheyenne

I thought these may be Serrano but the leaves/stems aren't hairy (pubs). I too think these may be Jalapeno's. At $15 a pop, I am not happy with the purchase. Bonnie is aware of the problem and have these photos. We'll see what they do.

ultravista said:
I am surprised that a grower the size of Bonnie would mislabel so many plants.

I bought Bonnie orange habanero plants from Lowes or HD, 2 years ago, and they all turned out as yellow Fatallis. There was a thread on here where people in other states were saying it happened to them too. It was a good surprise but I'll never buy from them again. 
Oh, and if your flowers are purple by chance I would say you have a czech black? 

Mallory said:

I bought Bonnie orange habanero plants from Lowes or HD, 2 years ago, and they all turned out as yellow Fatallis. There was a thread on here where people in other states were saying it happened to them too. It was a good surprise but I'll never buy from them again. 
Damn, I bought orange habs from Lowes and all I got were orange habs lol! They were still delicious though.

By the looks of the pepper I would say is not a Jalapeno if the pod is full grown, I don't think its a tobasco, but the shape and size is about right for a Tobasco, kind of hard to say what it is.

Back