• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Noob here + sold different "same"

Im new to the chilli growing thing and being on the end of the world makes it hard to find local info regarding foreign plants. Ive been buying some plants from a nursery in South Africa. Now that these plants are starting to bear fruit im confused.

Either the gardner has mixed seeds up or she does not actually know the plants they are selling. They travel overseas regularly and source chillies which they then dry out, de-seed and grow plants to sell. I try to purchase at least 2 of each type so that I get some pollination between plants (no idea if this logic is correct but it just made sense to me). I have quite a few problems with different fruit identity but there is 1 particular problem im having.

I apparently bought 2 x "Dorset Naga" from this nursery at different times but they have completely different fruit. I know the fruit isnt ripe yet but can anyone identify them so that I can at least try source 2 x correct matching plants? Im also battling with the 1 as its clearly not requiring the same amount of sun/water so im still trying to figure out its ratio. Im guessing less water because the leaves are yellowish?

20140315_113549.jpg

20140315_113533.jpg

Ive also had an aphid problem ive been trying to deal with naturally so I assume the marks on the leaves in the above image are consequence of the aphids? Or is this a sign of something else?

I can't help you identify them, except to agree that they are certainly different. You don't need to worry about having two of the same type though. One is enough, peppers will self pollinate. For that matter, if you want to be sure that the seed from a pod will grow the same plant you have to isolate the plant, or at least the flower you plan to take seeds from.

Someone more knowledgeable than myself will hopefully be along to help with your other questions.

Dunno what the pods are. wait till they turn colors, then I can tell you. Those leaf marks though. They make me nervous. Get copper fungicide and mancozeb to spray them with, it looks like BLS rather than aphid damage to me. The mancozeb might help with aphids also. Not natural, but better than losing plants.

Sm1nts2escape said:
The bottom one looks like a habanero to me. I have no idea on the top one.
Ye thats what I was thinking... Looks habaneroish...
cruzzfish said:
Dunno what the pods are. wait till they turn colors, then I can tell you. Those leaf marks though. They make me nervous. Get copper fungicide and mancozeb to spray them with, it looks like BLS rather than aphid damage to me. The mancozeb might help with aphids also. Not natural, but better than losing plants.
Cool thanks will check it out. It may have been my doing now that ive read about BLS because I used a strong soap mixture to kill the aphids so I may have burnt the leaves? At the time I did it I did not know it had to be a mild solution.

Wancieho said:
Ye thats what I was thinking... Looks habaneroish...

Cool thanks will check it out. It may have been my doing now that ive read about BLS because I used a strong soap mixture to kill the aphids so I may have burnt the leaves? At the time I did it I did not know it had to be a mild solution.
Could be. Watch it if it gets any worse though.

Back