• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hot Pepper Varieties

So I'm looking for new kinds of hot peppers. I have been eating these spicy peppers for about a year now and love them. I've been hearing of new kinds and would love to get more news of these newer peppers. Also looking for seeds and wondering if anyone has any they can send me :)

Thanks guys! Andrew

welcome_zps56d47d4a.gif
from Califrnia

Also Sandia Seed has some less hot things like the "Hatch Chile" that's interesting and good prices

And checkout Meatfreak's(Stefan) website for looks of uncommon goodies.

After you've hung around awhile and get your posting content up you could get a ticket on a seed train.

Welcome, and any of the vendors mentioned above would be great to deal with, and help you with your pepper hunt.

Dieboldly, which hot peppers have you been eating and which new ones have you heard about?  Members can probably offer some recommendations on what to order and grow based on what you like.

Dieboldly, which hot peppers have you been eating and which new ones have you heard about?  Members can probably offer some recommendations on what to order and grow based on what you like.

Man what haven't I tried! Lol I grow all my plants from seeds FYI. Let's see, I have tried, naga morich, ghost, yellow scorpion, black cobra, orange Hab, petter pepper, cayenne, and others....right now I have growing, chocolate ghost and scorpion, red gohst, brown 7pod, original 7pod, original scorpion, scorpion butch t, scorpion Moruga, brown hab, and others i don't remember lol. How do I post pics?

So you have grown and have seeds for all the above? That is quite a list.  I am sure you can find someone to trade seeds with perhaps.  What are you after in particular?

Regarding posting pics here is the tutorial: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33270-posting-picture-tutorial/

Initially people are unlikely to give seeds as some people have joined just to ask for free stuff and don't contribute to the forum after they get what they are after.

Just to be clear I am not suggesting that hit and quit is what you are here for, I am explaining it has happened previously which is why some members are wary of new members.

That's a nice start there! Soon you'll be like a lot of us with 400 seedlings trying to get the sheriff to understand they really are peppers!

Welcome and let us know if you need any advice or help with growing! And if in question, just let your seedlings be for a bit, never assume!

So you have grown and have seeds for all the above? That is quite a list.  I am sure you can find someone to trade seeds with perhaps.  What are you after in particular?

Regarding posting pics here is the tutorial: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33270-posting-picture-tutorial/

Initially people are unlikely to give seeds as some people have joined just to ask for free stuff and don't contribute to the forum after they get what they are after.

Just to be clear I am not suggesting that hit and quit is what you are here for, I am explaining it has happened previously which is why some members are wary of new members.

Yea I wouldn't do that! I've tried to grow a lot but at times they just die on me and I don't know why lol i usually start them with a heat mat and grow lights but I guess I don't leave them under the grow light long enough?
I still don't get how to post a pic. I'm trying to use my phone to post pics

Essentially the pictures have to be uploaded to an image hosting website. You can't just upload to this site.  Once you have uploaded to a hosting site you can just post the URL here.  I also took awhile to figure out it wasn't possible to just 'hang' pictures off this website.

Regarding seedling death, so they die after they go outside?  Are you using a hardening off process?  How big are they when you put them outside and into what temp? What is your light set up? 

My unlucky seedlings died because of dampening off (only before 2nd set of true leaves) and some got set back by fungus gnats although I am not sure they can kill seedlings outright. That said I think about 90% made it.

Essentially the pictures have to be uploaded to an image hosting website. You can't just upload to this site.  Once you have uploaded to a hosting site you can just post the URL here.  I also took awhile to figure out it wasn't possible to just 'hang' pictures off this website.

Regarding seedling death, so they die after they go outside?  Are you using a hardening off process?  How big are they when you put them outside and into what temp? What is your light set up? 

My unlucky seedlings died because of dampening off (only before 2nd set of true leaves) and some got set back by fungus gnats although I am not sure they can kill seedlings outright. That said I think about 90% made it.

Let's see...when I start the seeds I start them on a heat mat with 4 6500k h5ho lights on top. So a grow light. Once the seedings pop up I take the plastic dome off and let them grow. I wait till the true leafs come up then I usually put them outside but a lot of times they did on me. I do not do the hardening off because I don't usually have time to do it but I should. I would usually stick them under my patio cover that gets some sun and mostly shade and they would grow for me there. After the first set of true leafs come up I feed them fish extract. I started seeds this year in Demeter so way too early! And then put them outside and they died cuz of the cold. I'm starting more now but already have about 16 different kind of pepper plants in my garden bed.

Back