• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Pickling Super hots?

My favorite is pickled mixed veggies with superhots to add heat. I usually do cauliflower, carrots, whole garlic cloves, celery, milder peppers etc. It's great, and you can make some mild and some hot by adding less or more peppers to each jar. I chop up the superhots smaller than everything else, and can tell about how hot it's going to be by looking at the jars before opening.

We make pickled pepper rings w/out seeds when we have time.  We like using every color we have to make it more colorful.  Usually we use all superhots with vinegar and a bit of sugar.

We also make pickled vegetables with lots of colors, too - the only red is the bhut or Trinidad scorpion sliced in rings.

This year we hope to make a hot and sweet mixture.

pickling superhots is no different than pickling jalapenos.  I like to include garlic, onion, garlic, etc like what Musky~  

THIS is a great link from an extension service. 

My mom grew a whole bunch of cukes, and I grew a whole bunch of supers last year, so I got her to add some supers to some batches of dills that she made for me.  One dorset naga in a jar of pickles makes a noticeable difference!

I like to make Giardiniera with super hots thrown in also use them in a lot for pickling. I like to pickle kielbasa with super hots and garlic even pickled eggs :drooling:

LUCKYDOG said:
I like to pickle kielbasa with super hots

You can not say something like that without giving a whole lot more details!
A whole thread with instructions and pictures would be nice.

Lol - I havent made any in a while and Im in the mood so very soon

I like to get a decent kielbasa and I boil it for a little bit to get a lot of the fat out of it, otherwise it congeals and looks nasty, take the keilbasa out of the water and lay it out flat, easier to cut decent lengths with out havin a "C" cut in one, Get a large jar one from a big thing of pickles or whatever, add hot pepper slices or whole with holes punched in, kielbasa sliced into one inch lengths or up to you, mustard seed, I like about a 40/60 water vinegar mix you can add what ever at this point ie. garlic, onions or even hard boiled eggs if you have space. Let it sit for about a week if you can stand it the longer the better and hotter.
I just found this while looking for pictures - I wonder what Chorizo would be like hmmmm....

MD3mwzo.jpg

salsalady said:
pickling superhots is no different than pickling jalapenos.  I like to include garlic, onion, garlic, etc like what Musky~  

THIS is a great link from an extension service. 

Every time I water bath peppers they come out like mush.  Still looking for a go to pickled pepper recipe that maintains crunch...

LUCKYDOG said:
Lol - I havent made any in a while and Im in the mood so very soon

I like to get a decent kielbasa and I boil it for a little bit to get a lot of the fat out of it, otherwise it congeals and looks nasty, take the keilbasa out of the water and lay it out flat, easier to cut decent lengths with out havin a "C" cut in one, Get a large jar one from a big thing of pickles or whatever, add hot pepper slices or whole with holes punched in, kielbasa sliced into one inch lengths or up to you, mustard seed, I like about a 40/60 water vinegar mix you can add what ever at this point ie. garlic, onions or even hard boiled eggs if you have space. Let it sit for about a week if you can stand it the longer the better and hotter.
I just found this while looking for pictures - I wonder what Chorizo would be like hmmmm....

Pickled-Eggs.JPG
Does that have to be refrigerated?  About how much mustard seed would you add to a 1 gallon jar?

Back