• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Look what I found by my house today!!

I found some oyster mushrooms and black morels up north this weekend as well. However, I found these two dryads, and these morels just a few minutes from my house today. Morels sell for about 50 bucks a lb sometimes and I find mine for free I had some today with deep fried bluegills that I caught last week messing around fishing. Also, I eat hot food 95% of the time, but I don't add spices to good earthy mushrooms.

05-12-08_1835.jpg

05-12-08_1834.jpg

Then some oysters from up north and just a couple black morels.
05-11-08_2200.jpg

Frying in the pan.
05-11-08_2224.jpg

Ok since I'm at it a couple pics of another mushroom I love to eat in the fall. Hen of the woods. These are off of ONE mushroom!!
09-23-07_1631.jpg

09-23-07_1221.jpg

Just sharing another food that I love. It's fun to get out in the fresh air, get exercise and have something unique for cooking. I have a couple pepper plants popping up by the way too...WHOOHOO!!

WOOHOO!!! I agree with ya, free morels...Yummy! I love frying them and the bluegill in a beer batter with garlic......No ya did it :) got my mouth all watering...lol

Pepperfreak said:
WOOHOO!!! I agree with ya, free morels...Yummy! I love frying them and the bluegill in a beer batter with garlic......No ya did it :) got my mouth all watering...lol

I think I just motivated you to go out for a nature walk, with a fishing trip.:lol: Someone else can relate with the flavor on here though. :cool: Morels, are the only mushroom that I've eaten that actually has a nice earthy beefy flavor...YUM!!...oh and bluegills deepfried. My favorite fish in the whole world. It takes a few with the fillets, but worth every bit of work!

To be honest, I have no idea what kind of mushrooms those are. never seen them here. :shocked:
Are they any good?

Omri said:
To be honest, I have no idea what kind of mushrooms those are. never seen them here. :shocked:
Are they any good?

OUTSTANDING!!!!:D The morels are very difficult to find and can't be cultivated. Not only this,but they have a VERY small window that they grow. The season is only about a month in the spring around here, with a couple weeks being the peak. Right now is the peak. I'll be looking again soon. Oyster mushrooms you can actually buy as well if you look. Those ones can be cultivated. They use those in certain chinese dishes on occasion. They are both VERY flavorful and much better than the standard button caps you find in the store. The hen of the woods isn't as well known around here for mushroom hunters and honestly I'm glad because those are absolutely delicious as well. They pick those in the wild in Japan as well. Over there they are called Maitake mushrooms. Now for summer to come so I can pick black trumpets, and chanterelles!!

rabbit said:
OUTSTANDING!!!!:D The morels are very difficult to find and can't be cultivated. Not only this,but they have a VERY small window that they grow. The season is only about a month in the spring around here, with a couple weeks being the peak. Right now is the peak. I'll be looking again soon. Oyster mushrooms you can actually buy as well if you look. Those ones can be cultivated. They use those in certain chinese dishes on occasion. They are both VERY flavorful and much better than the standard button caps you find in the store. The hen of the woods isn't as well known around here for mushroom hunters and honestly I'm glad because those are absolutely delicious as well. They pick those in the wild in Japan as well. Over there they are called Maitake mushrooms. Now for summer to come so I can pick black trumpets, and chanterelles!!

:onfire: Yup...The best darn mushroom out there!!! They can be quite allusive too, and about as much fun looking for them as it is fishing...LOL

One specialty store around here is getting $54.95 a pound for morels.

One woods near my house gave up almost 700 morels this year, and, we weren't the only ones in there.

WACOFlyer said:
One specialty store around here is getting $54.95 a pound for morels.

One woods near my house gave up almost 700 morels this year, and, we weren't the only ones in there.

That's ALOT of shrooms!! It seems like a bumper crop this year with all of the rain. :)

rainbowberry said:
I love eating mushrooms raw. I like the Oyster ones and Shiitake.

I like Shiitake mushrooms as well. That's one that I have to buy though because they don't grow around here.:( Oh well:lol:

Morels used to grow right beside my house but none this year yet. They say recent burn sites(forest fires) are great areas to find morels. Oyster mushrooms are very easy to grow compared to most. Here's some pics of ones I grew
9060473661644f617bcab2.jpg

King oyster(not quite as easy to grow but delicious)
2467006509d1c8e82244wx2.jpg

How can you eat mushrooms they are so gross. well I know how people eat them but for me I can't do it i can even taste it if you put in one mushroom then took it out after cooking I can taste it and its funny because I can cook with them I make a great stuffed shroom it was good enough to make it onto the appatizer list at the resturant but I have never eaten one and I never could. funny isn't it.

VtPepper said:
How can you eat mushrooms they are so gross. well I know how people eat them but for me I can't do it i can even taste it if you put in one mushroom then took it out after cooking I can taste it and its funny because I can cook with them I make a great stuffed shroom it was good enough to make it onto the appatizer list at the resturant but I have never eaten one and I never could. funny isn't it.

EVERYONE has there foods they don't like. I think shrooms are yours:lol: My wife used to hate them until she ate the wild shrooms. Now she eats them all of the time. They have a much more different flavor and texture than your standard button cap mushrooms. As for me.......I can't stand those little cherry tomatoe's. When they burst in my mouth I want to up chuck so there's mine:lol:

POTAWIE said:
Morels used to grow right beside my house but none this year yet. They say recent burn sites(forest fires) are great areas to find morels. Oyster mushrooms are very easy to grow compared to most. Here's some pics of ones I grew
9060473661644f617bcab2.jpg

King oyster(not quite as easy to grow but delicious)
2467006509d1c8e82244wx2.jpg

Nice shrooms you've got growing there. I've heard of the kind oyster before, but never had one. That and I think those ones are native overseas. Now about the morels, oddly I found mine next to an old rustic camping sight where all of the ashes were on the ground. They weren't fires that were in the tall pits, and the ashes kind of spread out near the water. That and it was under poplar, beach, and maples to top it off. Perfect conditions for those. I have a funny feeling I'll find a bunch there next year as well. I know of a few areas where controlled burns were done in good habitat as well this year. Those spots will be my PRIME looking spots next year!!:D Certain trees are good hosts for morels. (Like dying elms.) However, I honestly think old fires with the right trees are best.

Rabbit you damn show off ppfffttttttttttttttt :lol:
now you gotta get you some Ramps (wild leeks) to go with the Morels!!:)And you have to let me know when you are going to the Shelter and Battle Papa Doc lol

HotPeppersFlyFishing said:
now you gotta get you some Ramps (wild leeks) to go with the Morels!!:)And you have to let me know when you are going to the Shelter and Battle Papa Doc lol

Ramps?

I got a patch "transplanted" in my back yard. VERY unique flavor/taste!

HotPeppersFlyFishing said:

I actually thought I found a batch of wild leeks the other day and they were just lilly of the valley. There was enough to feed and army and I got all excited. I pulled up the leaf and it was all Rhizome. No bulb on the end. I thought I was in heaven for a moment:lol:

Back