• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

How do you fill a 5 oz. woozy bottle?

Buzz said:
I use a fast food joint style ketchup bottle
putting the sauce into a plastic bottle and then squirting into the glass bottles probably won't maintain the proper heat needed for a Hot Fill/Hold type process.  If the pH of the sauce is known to be below 3.0, then temperature of the sauce when capped is probably not an issue.  If the pH of the sauce is unknown or above 3.0.... the Hot Fill/Hold method is the safest.  I'm not a process authority, and I haven't tested temps in a squirt bottle of sauce....it's just my opinion and a cautionary comment.   

edit- I have to admit, my first response to the question "How do you fill a 5 oz woozy?" ...was ......  Very Carefully!

sorry, just a little smartaxx moment...  Back to your regularly scheduled browsing~~~~~~~

PexPeppers said:
Seems like these could be made really easily... Looking at McMaster, you could probably build this system for under $100 if you already have access to the machining equipment. If you were feeling really fancy, you could get plastic resistant to temperatures over 100C so you could sterilize it but even that's not necessary if you used a chemical sterilizer and air dried it.

salsalady said:
putting the sauce into a plastic bottle and then squirting into the glass bottles probably won't maintain the proper heat needed for a Hot Fill/Hold type process.  If the pH of the sauce is known to be below 3.0, then temperature of the sauce when capped is probably not an issue.  If the pH of the sauce is unknown or above 3.0.... the Hot Fill/Hold method is the safest.  I'm not a process authority, and I haven't tested temps in a squirt bottle of sauce....it's just my opinion and a cautionary comment.   

edit- I have to admit, my first response to the question "How do you fill a 5 oz woozy?" ...was ......  Very Carefully!

sorry, just a little smartaxx moment...  Back to your regularly scheduled browsing~~~~~~~

I bring them back up to proper temp in a hot water bath after filling, just to be cautious for this very reason.

SciurusDoomus said:
Seems like these could be made really easily... Looking at McMaster, you could probably build this system for under $100 if you already have access to the machining equipment. If you were feeling really fancy, you could get plastic resistant to temperatures over 100C so you could sterilize it but even that's not necessary if you used a chemical sterilizer and air dried it.

definitely, but it works wonders. i can take it all apart and show you the insides 

HandyFiller has non-food fillers and food product fillers with FDA approved materials.  Please keep that in mind when trying to make your own.

Have fun and as always....post pics!   :lol:

Thanks everyone for your responses, I was thinking of just using a funnel but thought it would get air locked and fill to slow. I'll try the funnel method since I'm only doing a small batch maybe 6 or 8 bottles, Thanks again for all the ideas.  

Trickster, you will get an airlock for most smooth round funnels.  I found a SS one that has a notch that eliminates the airlock but the size, shape and length of the spout doesn't really work for the bottles (the spout is too long, and the funnel top is fairly flat).  Otherwise you just have to hold the funnel up.  PITA~~~

Trickster said:
Thanks everyone for your responses, I was thinking of just using a funnel but thought it would get air locked and fill to slow. I'll try the funnel method since I'm only doing a small batch maybe 6 or 8 bottles, Thanks again for all the ideas.  
Take a screwdriver and just dent the nozzle of the funnel slightly. Should let enough air escape the bottle

Back