• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Lots of ripe pods! Things are about to get serious in the kitchen!!

Islander said:
Hello fellow chile heads! Please tag along for my 2014 grow! This is my first attempt at growing chiles, but i am determined! This will be an organic raised bed grow. My garden will consist of a raised bed 4x8x12". Maybe a few containers..... Here is a list of some things i have in seed trays at the moment.

Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Carolina Reaper
White Habanero
Cayenne
Jalapeno
Firecracker
Red Peter
Prik Chi Fa
Thai Red
Takanatsume
Mulato Isleno
Pasilla Bajio

Feb. 14th 2014 is the day I started my seeds by soaking for 24 hours in room temp water on top of my refrigerator (approx 75 F)
I am using a 72 cell seed tray that I replaced the pellets with organic Jiffy mix. Alot had hooked with first week or two. Some still have not hooked..... I also planted a few in styrofoam cups to compare... After the first few hooks i moved the seedtray from the refrigerator top to a south facing window. Things seemed to slowly do what they are supposed to.

On March 18 I moved them to my garage on a workbench and mounted a Lumenbright reflector with a 4200k 400 Watt MH 24" above plants. Started photoperiod at 18 hrs on 6 off, but they started to turn purple so i reduced time quite a bit down to 9hrs on 15 off. I will continue to monitor and adjust as needed.

There is a tray in the back that is full of herbs(parsley, cilantro, oregano, thyme) incase anyone is wondering.... lol I think i started them way too early....

Picked up a few goodies at The Farmers Market in Nashville the other day.

Look like a good start. Wish you the best for your 2014 grow. BTW, I started early on my culinary herbs as we'll and then they got thinned out with peppers having light priority. Will be starting my 2014 Glog soon. I plan on doing a SCROP (screen of peppers) with Fresno or Tabasco.

Lol. Smart phone corrected.... it should have said started turning "Pale" .... But i do have a cayenne blend turning purple :)

Thanks!

Throughout the week i plan to start prepping my grow area outside. I will take measurements and start marking the layout of my beds and leveling the ground as needed. The plan is for (3) 4x8's, but I may try to do (4). Still havent decided what I will use for my bed sides. Its either going to be painted plywood, Stained PT 1x6's, or Trex......

Had a little issue with the leaves wilting...... So i started repotting into large styrofoam cups with Fox Farm Ocean Forest.

Cant forget the mess in progress shot.... lol

Its been a while and quite a bit has taken place. Here are some photos of progress.

Had a small aphid problem.....until the boss showed up!

Getting the bed ready.

Finally finished planting at dark! Then came a nice healthy rain to give them a good drink!

Freshly topped off with some Hardwood Mulch

Potted Jolokia with some nice pods

Before and after pics

May 3rd
June 21st

The 3 Plants on the end are Red Bhut Jolokia. The potted Jolokia was planted several weeks before the ones in raised bed.

Back