• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Need a cool little houseplant

I need to get a new fly trap. I had one but I killed it before I realized you couldn't put it in nutrient rich soil. It was really young thankfully

I think the most unusual and rare houseplants that would useful would be a rare wild bonsai great way to ver winter or just good house plant I will be doing this with a few of my rare wilds. great conversation piece and if it tastes good great way to get fresh winter pods. a lot of of wilds do better than domesticated species in lowlight conditions. great flowers too

+1 on carnivorous and there is an excellent hobbyist forum out there to research the really strange/weird ones on , I like cacti as well , and bonsai trees can be interesting projects

bromiliads are cool
cycad ferns a cool too

i once had Sangria ornamental pepper plants that i gave my late niece Amanda as a gift, i got them back after her death and they did excellent under some natural ligt but mostly artificial, i was surprised at how many peppers those two plants kept turning out, they were very beautuful

pitcherplant-RL_zpsc9cb2794.jpg

Had to look it up but that's a freakin cool looking plant. This gets my vote "pitcher plant"

millworkman said:
Grow as big of a pepper plant as you possibly can, or get one from someone here.  Grow a bonchi pepper.  They are pretty sweet.

My last few bonchis have died but I do want to try again

Look into Trichocereus (aka Echinopsis) cacti. They're a medium-sized cactus native to the mountains in Peru and Bolivia. They're pretty hardy and grow really fast, especially when you feed them right and let them live outdoors every summer. 

IMG_0028_zpsc2cc634d.jpg

The big bluish ones are T. macrogonus, the big dark green ones are T. pachanoi and the small one on the far right is T. bridgesii. 

I really hope I can coax mine into flowering one of these years. I guess it's a real challenge to do in (temperate) captivity. The flowers are huge and open for only one night and apparently smell really good. I'm hoping mine flower in the next few years - probably not this year since they'll be recovering from a much needed transplanting.

I'm growing a Thai pepper bonchi indoors so that I can pick the peppers to eat in the kitchen.

A carnivorous plant sounds useful in the house too.  

Back