• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

King Taco Red Sauce Recipe

Not sure how many people from this forum live in southern California and are familiar with King Taco. This place has the best red hot sauce I have ever tasted. Its has an incredible addicting taste that I would love to be able to make at home. It sucks that I live like 3 hours away from the nearest KT. It is not the hottest sauce, I would give it a 6-7 in a scale to 10 but I would give it a 10 on taste. Just wondering if any other forum hot sause afficionado has tasted this sauce before.

I have, must mean I'm special.
I hate the place, but like you and a bunch of other people, they love it.
are you serious!! I've eaten A LOT of tacos in my time and the KT meat at salsa are some of the best tacos I've ever had. Only the tacos I grill at home compare and thats becuase I buy the best Aranchera meat by Harris Ranch. The salsa is also very unique. So you also don't care for the red salsa? Where have you tasted the best tacos? Maybe i'm missing out of a secret place.

One more question I got to ask. Are you hispanic or anglo? I ask because some anglos don't know what real authentic Mexican food should taste like. A while back I saw a show on that guy "Man vs Food" he went to a place in Santa Barbara called la Super Rica Tacos. It happened that after we saw that show we were in that town for a tournament and we decided to give it a try. We got there and there was a line wrapped around the little shack of a restaurant. We must of waited for over 30 minutes to place our order. As we waited in line te smell from the grilling meat was incredible. We finally got to the counter and man were the prices high. Then we get the food and it was not good at all. The portions were small, the meat was not that good and the salsas were terrible. I ordered a tri tip taco and the meat was hard and rough. I also ordered a watermelon fruit juice and they gave me big chucks of watermelon in a cup.

I would say that 90% of the people eating in that place were anglo or non-hispanic. Thus they don't know what real authentic Mexican food should taste like. a few weeks ago I ate at Chipotles for the first time and I was very disappointed. That is not real Mexican food.

Like they say if you want to eat real Mexican food go to a place where Mexicans are eat.

are you serious!! I've eaten A LOT of tacos in my time and the KT meat at salsa are some of the best tacos I've ever had. Only the tacos I grill at home compare and thats becuase I buy the best Aranchera meat by Harris Ranch. The salsa is also very unique. So you also don't care for the red salsa? Where have you tasted the best tacos? Maybe i'm missing out of a secret place.

One more question I got to ask. Are you hispanic or anglo? I ask because some anglos don't know what real authentic Mexican food should taste like. A while back I saw a show on that guy "Man vs Food" he went to a place in Santa Barbara called la Super Rica Tacos. It happened that after we saw that show we were in that town for a tournament and we decided to give it a try. We got there and there was a line wrapped around the little shack of a restaurant. We must of waited for over 30 minutes to place our order. As we waited in line te smell from the grilling meat was incredible. We finally got to the counter and man were the prices high. Then we get the food and it was not good at all. The portions were small, the meat was not that good and the salsas were terrible. I ordered a tri tip taco and the meat was hard and rough. I also ordered a watermelon fruit juice and they gave me big chucks of watermelon in a cup.

I would say that 90% of the people eating in that place were anglo or non-hispanic. Thus they don't know what real authentic Mexican food should taste like. a few weeks ago I ate at Chipotles for the first time and I was very disappointed. That is not real Mexican food.

Like they say if you want to eat real Mexican food go to a place where Mexicans are eat.

Anglo's.

I much prefer to be called gabacho or huero.

Throw the word pinche in front of either word to make it authentic.

You need to come to Texas.

We've got real deal Mexican here as well as heaps of great Tex-Mex joints.

Fajita's originated in the Rio Grande Valley.

Nacho's came from just the other side of the river from Eagle Pass in Piedras Negras. We didn't invent 'em but we made 'em famous.

Queso. Not like queso fundido but better!

Salsa. Our shit doesn't come from NYC.

Jalapeno. Our official state pepper.

Wild Tepin. Our official state wild pepper.

Chili, no beans. So good queens have been known to make it.

Tamales. Texans love tamales. I make my own.

Man vs. Food.

That guys a hack.

Anglo's.

I much prefer to be called gabacho or huero.

Throw the word pinche in front of either word to make it authentic.

You need to come to Texas.

We've got real deal Mexican here as well as heaps of great Tex-Mex joints.

Fajita's originated in the Rio Grande Valley.

Nacho's came from just the other side of the river from Eagle Pass in Piedras Negras. We didn't invent 'em but we made 'em famous.

Queso. Not like queso fundido but better!

Salsa. Our shit doesn't come from NYC.

Jalapeno. Our official state pepper.

Wild Tepin. Our official state wild pepper.

Chili, no beans. So good queens have been known to make it.

Tamales. Texans love tamales. I make my own.

Man vs. Food.

That guys a hack.
Being that Texas used to be Mexico,there's no doubt that you guys have a lot of great "Mexican" food there,but I believe he is right when referring to the fact that most don't know what true authentic Mexican food is,simply because they've never had the pleasure of trying it regardless of there ethnicity. Been awhile since I stopped by a King taco myself. Going to have to do some investigating for you and see what I can come up with. Good thing is that I have one about 15 min. away!

I'm intrigued by this sauce.
I tried to read the link Boss sent, but I got bored.
Here's what I learned, though.
Looks like it has peppers (duh), lime, a bunch of other shit, and PUMPKIN SEEDS!

Wow. I gosta try this!

Someone figure it out. I don't care how good the tacos are.
To me, that's a bean/no-bean chili argument.

Authentic tacos to me are crunchy and come in a Old El Paso box and have to be re-heated in the oven.
Screw the haters, that shit's good!
And anyone who says otherwise is full of manatee crap.

But this specific red sauce has me captivated!

anyone that lives in so. California and has not eaten at King Taco I would encourage you to give it a try. The ones in East LA are always jammed packed. Last weekend we went to one really close to dodger stadium and it wasn't that busy. I recommend tacos de asada and tacos al pastor. Tacos are only $1.25 each and tortas and burritos are like $5.50. They are very stingy with their sauces but I hear they do sell side orders of salsa.

FD, you go by Billy now?

G1, on behalf of all of us that don't live in SoCal, I DEMAND PICTURES!!!!!
Scoville I don't live in so. cal and I don't think pictures would do much. I try to visit KT every time I go down to the LA area. Hopefully some other members that live in SoCal will chime in and give us more info. I

here are some yelp reviews

http://www.yelp.com/biz/king-taco-los-angeles-3
http://www.yelp.com/biz/king-taco-long-beach

menu.jpg

300px-King_Taco.jpg

I may take a trip for you guys,but to be honest there not the best tacos I ever had,consistent...yes! But there's so many taco trucks out here that put out even better tacos,so long as you know where to go.I agree w/ scrufy on the sauce,but it's been awhile and is a good excuse to grab some tacos!To be continued.....

Back