• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Amir's 2014 rookie year

Hi All,

I have to start by saying that I am really enjoying this forum, the knowledge and general atmoshphere is great
The combination of growing info + hot food is awsome.

Going over threads here I got my mind set on a few varieties and made my first order from pepper Joe.
ordered myself:

CAROLINA REAPER PEPPER AKA HP22B

BUTCH "T" TRINIDAD SCORPION

CHOCOLATE HABANERO

CORNO DI TORO

Figured it's a nice start for my rookie year.
Well... time passed by, i was reading more and more and all of a sudden i felt my order was inadequate.
So i sent a mail to Peter at La Semillas and ordered myself:

7pot Primo              
7pot Brainstrain Yellow 
Jalapeño                
Foodorama Scotch Bonnet 
Scotch Bonnet Brown      

Peter shipped extremly fast (i got the seeds within a few days) and that really spiked my appetite, plus the seeds from PJ did not arrive yet, so i went online again and ordered:

Cayenne                   
HP22B Selected            
7pot Brainstrain Red      
Naga Viper                
7pot Barrackpore          
JAFSH Red                 
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T 
Bhut jolokia Strain I     
Black Naga                
Trinidad Douglah          
Devil´s Tongue Red        
Devil´s Tongue Yellow     
Fatalii                   
Bishops Crown             
Serrano                    
Madre de Rios             
California Wonder         
Corno Di Torro            
Sweet Hungarian           
Boldog                     

a few days after i got the seeds from Peter, i finally recieved my order fom PJ and it was time to start.
Well, almost time.   I made another small order from La Semillas, and my final grow list for 2014 is:

CAROLINA REAPER PEPPER AKA HP22B
HP22B Selected             
BUTCH "T" TRINIDAD SCORPION
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T  
7pot Brainstrain Yellow
Brainstrain Red       
7 pot Jonah
Naga Viper                 
7 pot Barrackpore           
JAFSH Red                  
Trinidad Douglah           
7pot Primo
Bhut jolokia Strain I      
Black Naga                 
Fatalii                    
Foodorama Scotch Bonnet
Scotch Bonnet Brown
CHOCOLATE HABANERO
Devil´s Tongue Red         
Devil´s Tongue Yellow      
Thai burapa
Thai Hot
Thai Orange hot
Large Orange thai
Cayenne                    
Serrano                    
Madre de Rios              
Bishops Crown              
Hot banana 
 Jalapeño
Jalapeno TAM
aji cacho de cabra (goat's horn)
Santa Fe Grande
CORNO DI TORO
Corno Di Torro             
Sweet Hungarian            
Boldog                     
California Wonder          
antalya dan
kapia paprika

I personally come with no knowledge, but my wife's family is in the growing business.  They have a wholesale nursery (meaning they grow flowering pots of both perrenials and annuals and sell to other nurseries) so I'm using their knowledge and facility to give my seedlings a good start.

Feb 14th

I had my boys and nephew  fill the trays with seeding mix
01c_zps214f1aaf.jpg

I was counting on them to help with the seeding process, but two took off immediatly.
My oldest (8) did a whole tray by himself.  the rest were done by brother in law
In fact i had my brother in law deal with the growing bit while i was busy labeling and taking pictures.
Here he is spreading vermiculite over the seeds

01e_zpsdef84750.jpg

Give them good watering, and into a humidity controled room.  Covered for the first couple of days and then left uncovered for another few days

01f_zpsb8c989b7.jpg

After a few days, moved it into the Seed starting area 

IMG_6203_zps9091e4c5.jpg

March 1st, seeds are popping
IMG_6219_zps44b74558.jpg

Overall I'm geting great germination, some are still not showing up (Fatalii is giving me problems)

March 13

IMG_6261_zps81d22db2.jpg

IMG_6262_zps6317e594.jpg

I think i'll transplant them over the weekend into 4" pots.

What a setup! You lucky lucky man! I like how you casually mention "another small order" before you drop that grow list on us.

All the best for your 2014 grow. I'm going to be watching your posts closely. What are you going to do with all the peppers once you harvest?

Welcome, and I have to say that I love the space that you`ve got there :woohoo: .....amazing!! Always nice to see little helpers too. ;)

Things are looking good! I like the nursery setup, when i was a kid my parents had a nursery and it was alot of fun! Best of luck for your 2014 season! :)

Well, for a rookie, you've really jumped in the deep end! But with the facilities and expertise that are available to you, why not. Please keep us all posted on your progress.

And yes, welcome to the forum.

Tom

That's quite an impressive list of peppers - but then again so are the facilities available to you for your grow. Very best of luck.

Prazzie said:
What a setup! You lucky lucky man! I like how you casually mention "another small order" before you drop that grow list on us.

All the best for your 2014 grow. I'm going to be watching your posts closely. What are you going to do with all the peppers once you harvest?

Thanks Mandie, i honestly don't know what i will do with all the peppers.  It's probably bad karma to plan ahead too much, so i mostly stick with the now.  I will probably dehydrate and powder them.  can't even estimate what the output will be to properly plan.  We'll see, hope for the best

Penny said:
Welcome, and I have to say that I love the space that you`ve got there :woohoo: .....amazing!! Always nice to see little helpers too. ;)

Little helpers are a lot of fun, i will pay for it with some mislabled seeds but I wanted them to get involved from the seeding stage so they will appreciate the fruits even more.  (I also did tomatoes and sweet peppers, i don't think my sons will enjoy a super hot just yet)

Islander said:
Things are looking good! I like the nursery setup, when i was a kid my parents had a nursery and it was alot of fun! Best of luck for your 2014 season! :)

Nurseries, especially flowering pot nurseries are a beutiful thing.  it's been about 10 years that I've been with my wife and around nurseries and i still love walking down the aisles and enjoying the colors.  The site of 40k cyclamens flowring in season is breath taking.

kentishman said:
Well, for a rookie, you've really jumped in the deep end! But with the facilities and expertise that are available to you, why not. Please keep us all posted on your progress.

And yes, welcome to the forum.

Tom
Thanks for the welcome.  I did jump into the deep end, but with a serious life jacket and an experienced swimmer near me so things should be OK.
Once i get the seedlings into a decent size i'll move them to my place and then we'll see how i do.  The more i think about it the more i believe i'll keep half of my plants in the nursery to make sure the year will be a success.

OKGrowin said:
you are lucky to be using that space, looks great.

Whats the yellow / white stuff you sprinkle on top?

Thanks, i do feel lucky for getting so much assistance.
The white/yellow stuff is vemiculite.  

Welcome.....it's nice to see another type of grow on a larger extreme.
The boys appear to be having fun "in the dirt".....they can think back on that moment.......while they're helping you harvest all the peppers.
I agree with Penny..keep the photos flowing...and enjoy your stay here...

PIC 1 said:
Welcome.....it's nice to see another type of grow on a larger extreme.
The boys appear to be having fun "in the dirt".....they can think back on that moment.......while they're helping you harvest all the peppers.
I agree with Penny..keep the photos flowing...and enjoy your stay here...
Thank you.
My wife's parents grew cucumbers when she was a little girl. They keep going over the story of how the girls were helping picking cucumbers and eating more then they put in the boxes.
This is one harvest story that will probably not work as well with super hots.
In fact, I can see several ways this can end horribly wrong.

Make sure you save some seeds of all the ones you have started, and you will no doubt be a popular guy coming trading time. :dance:

Hi Everyone,  I got the whole family involved in the pepper operation over the weekend.
It was time for some transplanting.
(My wife wanted to get home so bad, she realized if she didn't help we will be stuck for a while)
So my boys were in charge of the pot filling machine
potfilling_zps567d06da.jpg

And my wife was responsible for writing the name on each pot, and i did the transplanting.
it took us a couple of hours to do nearly 400 plants.  Good progress in my books.

plants waiting in boxes to be placed in the rows.
14_zpsed078695.jpg

16_zpsd2a37de1.jpg

And the great part about family in the growing business is that some of the back breaking jobs are done by others...
i came back the next day to find my peppers hooked up to irrigation and in a good position between rosemary and Kalanchoe plants
18_zps869a1736.jpg

a few pepper shots
8_zps704181f7.jpg

5_zpsd312a798.jpg

3_zpse8a1785e.jpg

Till next time

I am watching your thread with great interest.I worked for 7 years in the Red Oak greenhouses as warehouse supervisor.Unloading,loading peat and plant trucks.Also shading all the glass and hoop houses,that sucked on windy days.Seeing your planting machine brought back some good memories.You can plant loads of plants in a short amount of time.Good luck this year.

randyp said:
     I am watching your thread with great interest.I worked for 7 years in the Red Oak greenhouses as warehouse supervisor.Unloading,loading peat and plant trucks.Also shading all the glass and hoop houses,that sucked on windy days.Seeing your planting machine brought back some good memories.You can plant loads of plants in a short amount of time.Good luck this year.
Wow, 7 years in a greenhouse.  on the one hand, you've got the beutiful plants all around on the other you are out there in the elements doing some hard labor.  Not as easy and fun as some may think.  I prefer doing a walk about and just enjoy the flowers.

capsidadburn said:
Looking pretty amazing Amir! Everybody needs a pot filling machine I think!

Very nice!

Everybody needs a pot filling machine indeed...  saves so much work.
Here's a little video i took of it in action
[media]http://youtu.be/dchzCyzS450[/media]
Penny said:
Love that set up and that potting machine.....Nice!! :dance:

Thanks, as you can see it's not perfect, but it saves a ton of time and it was fun enough for my kids to consider it a game and look after it

Anything that gets kids outdoors, and into a garden is a plus in my books. ;)  Seeing all of those plants, you will all be soooooo busy this summer!!

Back