• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

seed question please

Do I need to do anything special if I want to harvest seeds. There have been a few really good peppers that have crossed my plate lately that would be awesome to grow. Can I just scoop and plant? Do I need to dry a pod?

Newbe needs help AGAIN.

Thanks,

Rymerpt

actually you can take fresh seeds and plant them for the most part i have notices fast germ rate
i think some warn about fungus but i never seen it happen every time i did it

thanks your friend joe

The pepper has to be ripe. For example, a friend gave me seeds saved from a green poblano. As I expected, they did not germinate.

If you want to store the seeds to plant later, make sure they have thoroughly dried.

kentishman said:
The pepper has to be ripe. For example, a friend gave me seeds saved from a green poblano. As I expected, they did not germinate.

If you want to store the seeds to plant later, make sure they have thoroughly dried.
Umm.. What about green capsicum? Does that mean their technically unripe?

Yeah, the green capsicums you buy are just ones that haven't turned red yet.

I have been wondering if there are any secrets to seed collection too. I bought some plants with what looked like ripe pods on and planted the seeds, some like the serrano I had almost 100% success, other things like the yellow wax was dismal. The yellow wax one looked yellow and waxy enough but I am starting to wonder if it might have gone some other colour and been riper if I had left it alone for a while.

Oh noooo. I harvested and planted seeds from the green capsicum i bought at the supermarket. Sigh. Time to throw them out then. =(

Kyox89 said:
Oh noooo. I harvested and planted seeds from the green capsicum i bought at the supermarket. Sigh. Time to throw them out then. =(
Plant others, but the mother nature may through you a curve ball with those first ones.

This is my first year and I wait and I wait and I wait. Finally I see my first two hooks. I hurry up and build a mini grow box. The dang grow light was to hot and fried them. Sooo pissed. Live and learn I guess, but still sucks.

Live and learn is right :) We all make mistakes. I just sacrificed half a dozen seed starts (first time on peppers/maters) to FG larvae hehehe. There is a spider in the starter tray now though, he keeps a watch on things for me.

This is my first year and I wait and I wait and I wait. Finally I see my first two hooks. I hurry up and build a mini grow box. The dang grow light was to hot and fried them. Sooo pissed. Live and learn I guess, but still sucks.

I feel you brother, did exactly the same with 8. But I started over with a regular flourescent cool white bulb and so far so good now;)

Jonquill said:
Yeah, the green capsicums you buy are just ones that haven't turned red yet.

I have been wondering if there are any secrets to seed collection too. I bought some plants with what looked like ripe pods on and planted the seeds, some like the serrano I had almost 100% success, other things like the yellow wax was dismal. The yellow wax one looked yellow and waxy enough but I am starting to wonder if it might have gone some other colour and been riper if I had left it alone for a while.

Yes, a yellow wax will turn deep orange when ripe and some almost reach red..  Leave it on the plant until at a bare minimum it is blushing an orange color.

Back