• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chilli Salt

I made some smoked salt last year. I poured kosher salt onto a cookie sheet with a couple of jalapenos and put it on my smoker until the peppers were dried. Then I put it all in the food processor and whirred it all around until the peppers were effectively powdered. Came out pretty good!

And the ordinary chili salt I made was a lot of salt and peppers put in my blender and then dried in the oven/the dehydrator.

I've made it by blending chilies until they were a smooth consistency,  then adding it to some sea salt.  Mixed it all up together and poured it onto a glass baking pan and waited for it to dry out.  

Still working on methods.

Tried blended salt, smoked peppers and water.
Too long to evaporate.

Tried smoked peppers dry mixed into salt.
Worked well except for the sneezing when used-----some pepper ground to dust and gets airborn.

Current project.

Smoked peppers powdered and mixed 2 parts salt to one part peppers 5 parts water, left to blend and meld in a container for 3 days then into the freezer.

When I am ready, that aprox 1 cup of frozen hell will go into a bowl with 2 standard containers of non-iodized salt and slowly stirred till it is all melted in.

A day or 2 in the sun and wind to dry out and I hope it will be ready.

This batch is Reapers, BS Red, TSMB, and unidentified supers in equal amounts, hickory smoked till dry and ground to powder. Aprox 4 tbsp of powder.

I just put salt in a big jar (about 0,8 liter), cut different pepers I had, and mixed. It is true, when I made this with some fleshy peppers, the salt was sticky (wet), but who cares as long as is hot? :fireball:

Hmm..

Wonder if there'd be a way to do it and infuse flavour and heat from the peppers but avoid the actual peppers being in the salt. I feel like just mixing the peppers in makes more of a spice melody than a salt.

Like say you blend up fresh peppers and warm water and a load of salt, then let it sit for a day or two or whatever, then strain into a pot through a coffee filter to remove the plant material, boil the water off and gently bake until the salt crystallizes and there you go - flavoured salt.

I have not done this with chilies but I have made my own sea salt. Think I will give it a go this summer.

There was an article on making salt infusions in the South African Food & Home Entertaining (November 2013). I remember it, because I wanted to try it once my chillies ripened. Here is the recipe for chilli salt. Adjust the quantities as needed.

6 roughly chopped red chillies
100g fine salt

Mix and allow to mingle for at least 2 days in a sealed container for complete infusion. Remove lid and leave to dry for 3 more days.

The trick is to dry the chillies really well so that they crumble in your hand, this will stop the mix looking wet.

I put mine in a metal pot on top of a woodburning stove for a few weeks.

When really dry i put the peppers through a spice grinder and then add to salt.(I dont grind the salt) 

Another thing I found out the hard way is that the salt chilli mix must be stored in a really dry place or it will pick out the moisture in the air and wont shake easily.

Here is a couple ideas for you.....

A while back a member (djinn) sent me some mystery seeds and some hot salt, I tried to recreate. Mine was ok his was better. I have been meaning to contact him to ask his methods but he mentiones he just evaporated some sea salt, added some pepper powder and let it evaporate. I did the same thing but i think mine is a little to concentrated. Needs more water next time. And spread out a little thinner to dry. A cookie sheet would be a good idea. Mine took about a week to complete

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/43709-mixed-seeds-and-pepper-salt/#entry915533

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45605-my-1st-attempt-at-infused-salt/

I just threw course sea salt, a mix of herbs and spices from the cupboard, and yellow moruga powder I got from pepperlover in a molcajete and ground it all up. It was the bomb! I use it to season everything which reminds me I need to make some more.

I would like to share how I made my. Salt beerbreath81

The recipe is like this

Pepper powder what ever pepper/heat you want course good sea salt.
Portions are all in how much you want to make. ..
Just remember you are going to get almost all what you put into it
Heat water to boiling add finely ground peppers into water reduce heat to low.
Steeping the peppers like tea is the key. Add salt once you have your tea made
Let the water evaporate you have a great flavoured salt.

I use Pyrex cake pans to dehydrate my salts

I forgot to add once you have the tea steeped you want enough heat to dissolve the salt.
And if making a big batch I would often put the Pyrex in the oven after making dinner etc. If doing that make sure you leave door open as to let as much water evaporate and leave the area.

Hope this helps

Djinn

Back