• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Sweet PeriPeri sauce

Hey guys,so its the KKNK (small karoo national arts festival) here in Oudtshoorn South Africa,literaly THOUSANDS of people. Today my girlfriend and I was walking through the places where everyone is selling stuff,and,amazingly we saw one guy selling home made peri peri sauces.
We tasted them all,and man oh man,they were AMAZING,there was one sauce that was very sweet and hot. So PLEASE,if anyone has a recipe for a sweet periperi sauce,please let me know (: thanks

J

Dear J,

I offer my own humble recipe for Peri Peri (or Piri Piri as I first learned it, though I can't be sure which is correct.  I've seen it both ways.)

1 lb fresh red chile - stemmed and cut in half.  Can be red jalas, fresnos, hungarian finger hots all work though my favorite are fresnos.
1-2 habaneros - stemmed and cut in half. Sub in any other hot pepper you want, only a couple to spike heat to taste.
4 cloves garlic - peeled.
1/4 cup fresh cilantro - stems removed.
1/4 cup fresh parsley - stems removed.
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp honey (I use clover)
1 tsp ground paprika (I use a smoked spanish paprika).
1 tsp ground ancho or allepo chili powder
1 tsp kosher salt (or more to taste).
1/2 - 2/3 cup olive oil 

1. Prep the peppers and fresh herbs.  
2. Throw the peppers, garlic, herbs and lemon juice into a blender or food processor.  
3. Pulse to combine, then let the motor run until everything is chopped down and well mixed.  
4. Open bowl and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
5. Add dry spices and salt.
6. Turn motor back on and drizzle first the honey and then the olive oil into the bowl.  
7. Open and taste - what does it need?  

f it's too salty counter with more lemon juice and/or honey.  
If it's too thick try thinning with a bit of water or more oil
If its too thin add more peppers!

This recipe will make a pretty thick 'paste' like peri peri.  It's great as a marinade (make extra to brush on at the end) but also wonderful as a dipping sauce.  I hope you like it.

SmokenFire said:
Dear J,

I offer my own humble recipe for Peri Peri (or Piri Piri as I first learned it, though I can't be sure which is correct.  I've seen it both ways.)

1 lb fresh red chile - stemmed and cut in half.  Can be red jalas, fresnos, hungarian finger hots all work though my favorite are fresnos.
1-2 habaneros - stemmed and cut in half. Sub in any other hot pepper you want, only a couple to spike heat to taste.
4 cloves garlic - peeled.
1/4 cup fresh cilantro - stems removed.
1/4 cup fresh parsley - stems removed.
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp honey (I use clover)
1 tsp ground paprika (I use a smoked spanish paprika).
1 tsp ground ancho or allepo chili powder
1 tsp kosher salt (or more to taste).
1/2 - 2/3 cup olive oil 

1. Prep the peppers and fresh herbs.  
2. Throw the peppers, garlic, herbs and lemon juice into a blender or food processor.  
3. Pulse to combine, then let the motor run until everything is chopped down and well mixed.  
4. Open bowl and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
5. Add dry spices and salt.
6. Turn motor back on and drizzle first the honey and then the olive oil into the bowl.  
7. Open and taste - what does it need?  

f it's too salty counter with more lemon juice and/or honey.  
If it's too thick try thinning with a bit of water or more oil
If its too thin add more peppers!

This recipe will make a pretty thick 'paste' like peri peri.  It's great as a marinade (make extra to brush on at the end) but also wonderful as a dipping sauce.  I hope you like it.
Thanks a million! :P deffinitely going to try this one! :) sounds realy good :p

SmokenFire, you realize piri piri is a pepper right? So piri piri sauce should have... piri piris. ;). AKA African birdseye.

EDIT: Okay in Portuguese piri piri means pepper pepper and the sauce can have any pepper.

In Africa, the African birdseye pepper is used for piri piri sauce, so it is called the pipi piri pepper.

Learn something new every day! However, since he is in Africa, I'd go with the piri piri pepper for your recipe. :)

Nice!

And try dark agave syrup to sweeten your sauce. It's not a refined sugar and tastes great. It's doesn't have the distinct taste of honey, it just sweetens with minimal impartment.

chilli whisperer said:
Agave syrup? Never heard of it,but I'm going to town today,so I'll have a look! ;)

Spar should stock it. It's called agave nectar and the brand name is Maguey. It comes in the same bottle as honey and it's usually in the health foods section.

Did you buy any of the sweet peri-peri sauce? Who makes it, does he have a label and contact details?

I don't have a recipe for sweet peri-peri sauce, but my uncle is visiting us during Easter and I'm going to ask him to show me how to make his hot Durban chilli sauce.

2UEF4LO.jpg

I only get one bottle per year, I need more!

The Hot Pepper said:
SmokenFire, you realize piri piri is a pepper right? So piri piri sauce should have... piri piris. ;). AKA African birdseye.

I did not know that THP!  Thanks for the info.  I was taught the rough version of the above recipe using dried kashmir chiles and have experimented with different peppers over the years.  Learn something new everyday indeed :)

SmokenFire said:
I did not know that THP!  Thanks for the info.  I was taught the rough version of the above recipe using dried kashmir chiles and have experimented with different peppers over the years.  Learn something new everyday indeed :)

We were both right! It's a pepper, and it's a sauce. The pepper is just named it because it's common to use that pepper in the sauce. Like if there was a salsa pepper. Salsa doesn't have to be made with the salsa pepper.

So... you never knew it was a pepper, and I never knew it was a sauce with any pepper! :lol:

Nice recipe.

wtyqom.jpg

I was at my local "Firehouse Subs" shop last night and tried this Piri-Piri sauce, it was amazing!  The flavor profile was like nothing I ever had before.  Savory with just a hint of sweetness, you could taste the roasted vegetables. 

Just awesome

Prazzie said:

Spar should stock it. It's called agave nectar and the brand name is Maguey. It comes in the same bottle as honey and it's usually in the health foods section.

Did you buy any of the sweet peri-peri sauce? Who makes it, does he have a label and contact details?

I don't have a recipe for sweet peri-peri sauce, but my uncle is visiting us during Easter and I'm going to ask him to show me how to make his hot Durban chilli sauce.

2UEF4LO.jpg

I only get one bottle per year, I need more!

I'll take a look for it. Hmmm,that does look good....any luck with asking your uncle on how to make it?

chilli whisperer said:
I'll take a look for it. Hmmm,that does look good....any luck with asking your uncle on how to make it?

Yes, he's going to email me the recipe once he gets back home. They're leaving on Monday (5 May), so I'll send him a reminder once they get back and then share the recipe here. He told me the ingredients (very easy), but couldn't remember quantities. Can't wait to try it!

Back