• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

music Guitar- how many of you can read sheet music

A little history. I'm 40 now and have been playing with my guitar on and off since I was 15 (mostly off through my mid 20s through late 30s, but within the last few years I have picked it up again. In the books I had over the years, it was all tab and chords. No sheet music.

I have a son who plays violin and has for 4 years now and is actually very good. He reads sheet music fluently. Very fluently.

I decided a couple of weeks ago that I was limited in my guitar playing because I couldn't read the stuff, So I headed to the store and picked up a Hal Leonard books 1-3 and started working on it.

This stuff sucks. How in the world can it be harder to play " when the Saints go marchin in" Than "Master of Puppets"? How is "Stairway to heaven" easier than "Minuet in G"? This is ridiculous. But I am making progress.

Just moved to the 2nd position and now I am totally confused again. I can play up and down the scales with ease, but not reading it off of a sheet of paper.

Judging by my progress, I'd say this will take several months to get up to the 12th fret, and many more before I am fluid a it, but I would like to think that I will be a better player because of it.

So, of the guitar players on this board, who can actually read sheet music fluently?

I feel your pain, Jeff. Sheet music just burns my brain. If I was going to be a professional musician, I'd put some effort into it, but I'm 40 also.... and I ain't planning on going on tour or gigging with a band any time soon. So EFF IT! I know enough to rock out my living room.... enuf's enuf! My daughter is like your son. She plays sax, and she can read the music. Matter of fact, her school band just went to district "playoffs" yesterday, and they won and they're going to state finals! They had to play a piece of music they've never seen before as a group, and I guess they managed well!

Shit just boggles my mind. I'll stick with tabs

I hear you Jeff. I have been meaning to get into this Guitar Theory book for a long time now but I lose interest so fast in it as it reminds me of mathamatics. :lol:
I can read 5-string banjo sheet music if that counts. ;)

This week's lesson. Try to learn (memorize) sheet music while playing in the 5th position.

I tried it last night and it was incredibly difficult. I was just getting familiar with how sheet music looked while in the 1st position, but move it up 5 frets and this is a whole new ball game. Daily practice for a couple of weeks and I should have the 5th position in good shape.

Once I get this all figured out ( read: a long time before I can do this fluently), I think I should buy myself a new guitar just for the accomplishment. Eying a 2014 Les Paul Studio in Black. Opinions?

Proud Marine Dad said:
I hear you Jeff. I have been meaning to get into this Guitar Theory book for a long time now but I lose interest so fast in it as it reminds me of mathamatics. :lol:
I can read 5-string banjo sheet music if that counts. ;)

The problem is that I know the theory in concept, but reading the treble clef and translating it to guitar strings baffles me.

So you can read sheet music for the banjo, but not guitar? Interesting.

I showed my son a piece of music the other day and asked him to play it on his violin. He had never seen it before in the key it was written in. He played it very nicely with no practice, the first time. That kind of skill will take me a while to master.

Jeff H said:
I think I should buy myself a new guitar just for the accomplishment. Eying a 2014 Les Paul Studio in Black. Opinions?
Gibson's are nice but they are overpriced. Have you looked at Carvin guitars? Incredible instruments and far less money.

So you can read sheet music for the banjo, but not guitar? Interesting.
Banjo tablature is easy as the fret number is written on which string you pluck. ;)

I can't read sheet music, either. Just give me tabs. It is easier and more accessible these days. Sheet music is outdated.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Gibson's are nice but they are overpriced. Have you looked at Carvin guitars? Incredible instruments and far less money.

Agreed! Look into ESP/LTD as well. Their EC is a Les Paul body style. You can get similar features and quality for a fraction of the price.

Back in the day of the caveman and troglodyte I played piano and clarinet. Learned the old fashion way on clarinet in school reading sheet music. I was very good at clarinet but it was boring as hell. Taught myself how to play piano reading off of sheet music which the pros refer to as "charts" or "chart reading". The thang with chart reading is you are restricted to what is written down. Another issue especially in guitar based music is many of the inferred and tone/timbre aspects are unwritable. Any riff or progression can be written down to be sure however often it is also required to know the secret handshake to actually be able to play the damn 'thang.

Example: Here's Luther Dickinson playing this absolutely sick bend @2:45 in the vid. One can write it out with all the musical symbols you want but you'll never play it correctly because this shit just cannot be transposed.
Here's another example: Here's a riff that Billy Gibbons has played probably more than anyone I know and Luther rips the livin' sheeit out of it! It's a double cross string trill which can be transposed well enough, but what cannot be transposed is how to play this kick ass mofo'. Here's the riff @3:15. Doesn't sound that difficult right? That is until you try to do it. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, Luther ain't using a pic, Thumb and fingers only. Now try it. What is the musical symbol for tucking your pic under you ring finger and hold it and playing this riff with only your thumb and index finger. There is none.

Charts do have their place. Classical music. Jazz. Be-Bop. Studio/Commercial/Bandstand/Jingle music. But it just doesn't translate to modern rock and blues. Sure you can write that stuff out. You can write out every thang for Muddy Water's Rollin' Stone but you fo' sho' won't learn how to play it correctly or the way Muddy did by playing it off of a chart.

It would be like going to the grocery store and picking up a box of some kind of food you have never had. You can read all the ingredients that it has but that won't tell you how its supposed to taste.

Jeff I think its great that you are learning to read charts and play guitar. You're doing something differnt' that keeps it interesting because its a challenge and its a great tool to keep you in the drivers seat and while results come slowly oftentimes you WILL see results. It can only help to make you a better guitar player and give you a better understanding how music comes about.

One tip I would also give is that more often than not, music that has been transcribed for guitar is more often than not done so by a keyboard player. This is merely evident by the many thousands and thousands of error filled and false transcriptions found in modern guitar sheet music. For many years the opening riff to Stairway to Heaven was written out based on the open Am chord. Which is too bad because Page played it at the 5th fret with 2 fingers and only a partial Am. Which also raises another minor question. How did Page get that awesome fat tone on Black Dog? God only knows how much money people dumped on pedals and gear to sound like that. Too bad Page didn't. He doubled it to another track but only after playing it exactly the same way and then combined both tracks. Pretty unf**kingbelievable.

As per guitars. If you want a Les Paul then buy a Les Paul. Studio's are excellent guitars for the money. If buying via GC or Sam Ash play it first. Some can be all over the place playing wise. Play enough of 'em and you'll find a winner. They come set up poorly from the factory. That's not necessarily a knock on Gibson though. Some folks like high action, others low, and also differn't string gauge's. You can't accommodate ever body with a single set up so they do a simple generic "slap some .10's on it and ship it. Note also that fret ends can be a little sharp and need some tweeking and most notoriously nuts are often cut a tad tight and string binding is an issue. You'll hear notable pings when tuning up and sometimes down and have tuning issues. Most people falsely attribute this to slipping tuners. Nope. I've literally played thousands of guitars and not once experienced tuners that slipped. Its the nut and a simple fix. A pass or two of fine sandpaper is all that is needed in 90% of the cases where it is an issue. At worst, the nut needs to be recut or replaced. Its not a big deal and not exclusive to Gibson. Plenty of Fender's and other brands come poorly set up and make it to the showroom floor.

I can play any style music I want on any guitar no matter how much it costs. I play Les Pauls, LP Jrs. Flying V's, and also currently a cheapass Squier Tele that I bought years ago in Alaska as a throw away guitar. That guitar is a monster and it plays and sounds like sex. I replaced the cheap pots and caps in it recently and changed out the malfuctive 3 way switch to a 4 way in series. Absolutely killer tone. Does it compare to my '07 '54 RI LP Goldtop? NO. Because its not the same guitar. The Goldtop I bought used in '09 from Cowtown in Las Vegas from Jesse Amoroso. Name sound familiar? He's the guitar dude on "Pawn Stars". Jackass still owes me money on a guitar I have on consignment. :rofl:Kidding. Jesse is A-1 coolcat! The guitar had just hit the rack when I strolled in, played it for 10 minutes and then went and transferred money in my bank accounts. I paid $2,200 and change plus tax. Is it a great guitar because I paid that much? NO. Is it a great guitar because it says Gibson Les Paul on the headstock? NO. Its just a great guitar and whereas the tele I mentioned plays and sounds like sex, play the Goldtop and you will think you actually ARE HAVING SEX! How much is that worth?

Buy the guitar you want knowing what you like in guitars whether it be baseball bat necks or slim 60's or whatever pickups you like. Whatever guitar you get, play the sheeit out of it!

Jeff, your playing history is somewhat similar to mine. I'm now 44 and have a long history of on-and-off playing. I've taken up classical a few times and worked up to basic/intermediate sight reading several times. Alas, I always fall back to my roots - electric guitar by ear and tab! I recommend a good teacher if that's the path you wish to take. I studied with a prominent local classical guitarist for a short while, and he got me further along than I could alone. Even us "old dogs" need help outside our comfort zone. 

Oh man, reading Sheet Music, naw, I can follow it for vocal. I have sung with several choirs and could hold my own but not playing. Chord Charts and Tab only there. Oh, and now I've gone and completely changed up by putting down the six string for Bass. Playing 6 I had to get in line with all the other players. Playing Bass though I could gig every night and playing it is a lot different than playing a six. The bass is all about patterns. Learn the pattern and it doesn't matter what key they're playing in you just move it up and down the fret board, same pattern. What did mess me up was playing with a Cuban combo where I had to hit the base note of the chord followed by the 3rd and the 5th. doesn't sound hard but doing it to a Cuban rhythm for the first time, forget it :doh:  

texas blues said:
Back in the day of the caveman and troglodyte I played piano and clarinet. Learned the old fashion way on clarinet in school reading sheet music. I was very good at clarinet but it was boring as hell. Taught myself how to play piano reading off of sheet music which the pros refer to as "charts" or "chart reading". The thang with chart reading is you are restricted to what is written down. Another issue especially in guitar based music is many of the inferred and tone/timbre aspects are unwritable. Any riff or progression can be written down to be sure however often it is also required to know the secret handshake to actually be able to play the damn 'thang.

Example: Here's Luther Dickinson playing this absolutely sick bend @2:45 in the vid. One can write it out with all the musical symbols you want but you'll never play it correctly because this shit just cannot be transposed.
Here's another example: Here's a riff that Billy Gibbons has played probably more than anyone I know and Luther rips the livin' sheeit out of it! It's a double cross string trill which can be transposed well enough, but what cannot be transposed is how to play this kick ass mofo'. Here's the riff @3:15. Doesn't sound that difficult right? That is until you try to do it. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, Luther ain't using a pic, Thumb and fingers only. Now try it. What is the musical symbol for tucking your pic under you ring finger and hold it and playing this riff with only your thumb and index finger. There is none.

Charts do have their place. Classical music. Jazz. Be-Bop. Studio/Commercial/Bandstand/Jingle music. But it just doesn't translate to modern rock and blues. Sure you can write that stuff out. You can write out every thang for Muddy Water's Rollin' Stone but you fo' sho' won't learn how to play it correctly or the way Muddy did by playing it off of a chart.

It would be like going to the grocery store and picking up a box of some kind of food you have never had. You can read all the ingredients that it has but that won't tell you how its supposed to taste.

Jeff I think its great that you are learning to read charts and play guitar. You're doing something differnt' that keeps it interesting because its a challenge and its a great tool to keep you in the drivers seat and while results come slowly oftentimes you WILL see results. It can only help to make you a better guitar player and give you a better understanding how music comes about.

One tip I would also give is that more often than not, music that has been transcribed for guitar is more often than not done so by a keyboard player. This is merely evident by the many thousands and thousands of error filled and false transcriptions found in modern guitar sheet music. For many years the opening riff to Stairway to Heaven was written out based on the open Am chord. Which is too bad because Page played it at the 5th fret with 2 fingers and only a partial Am. Which also raises another minor question. How did Page get that awesome fat tone on Black Dog? God only knows how much money people dumped on pedals and gear to sound like that. Too bad Page didn't. He doubled it to another track but only after playing it exactly the same way and then combined both tracks. Pretty unf**kingbelievable.

As per guitars. If you want a Les Paul then buy a Les Paul. Studio's are excellent guitars for the money. If buying via GC or Sam Ash play it first. Some can be all over the place playing wise. Play enough of 'em and you'll find a winner. They come set up poorly from the factory. That's not necessarily a knock on Gibson though. Some folks like high action, others low, and also differn't string gauge's. You can't accommodate ever body with a single set up so they do a simple generic "slap some .10's on it and ship it. Note also that fret ends can be a little sharp and need some tweeking and most notoriously nuts are often cut a tad tight and string binding is an issue. You'll hear notable pings when tuning up and sometimes down and have tuning issues. Most people falsely attribute this to slipping tuners. Nope. I've literally played thousands of guitars and not once experienced tuners that slipped. Its the nut and a simple fix. A pass or two of fine sandpaper is all that is needed in 90% of the cases where it is an issue. At worst, the nut needs to be recut or replaced. Its not a big deal and not exclusive to Gibson. Plenty of Fender's and other brands come poorly set up and make it to the showroom floor.

I can play any style music I want on any guitar no matter how much it costs. I play Les Pauls, LP Jrs. Flying V's, and also currently a cheapass Squier Tele that I bought years ago in Alaska as a throw away guitar. That guitar is a monster and it plays and sounds like sex. I replaced the cheap pots and caps in it recently and changed out the malfuctive 3 way switch to a 4 way in series. Absolutely killer tone. Does it compare to my '07 '54 RI LP Goldtop? NO. Because its not the same guitar. The Goldtop I bought used in '09 from Cowtown in Las Vegas from Jesse Amoroso. Name sound familiar? He's the guitar dude on "Pawn Stars". Jackass still owes me money on a guitar I have on consignment. :rofl:Kidding. Jesse is A-1 coolcat! The guitar had just hit the rack when I strolled in, played it for 10 minutes and then went and transferred money in my bank accounts. I paid $2,200 and change plus tax. Is it a great guitar because I paid that much? NO. Is it a great guitar because it says Gibson Les Paul on the headstock? NO. Its just a great guitar and whereas the tele I mentioned plays and sounds like sex, play the Goldtop and you will think you actually ARE HAVING SEX! How much is that worth?

Buy the guitar you want knowing what you like in guitars whether it be baseball bat necks or slim 60's or whatever pickups you like. Whatever guitar you get, play the sheeit out of it!

Very well thought out response TB. I appreciate it.

I started out with piano, several years of lessons through grade school, so I had the reading music down early.  Played piano for all the HS choirs, jazz group, jazz band, musicals...you name it.  And because I had that base, I was "recruited" to play things like xylophone, chimes, etc in various concert bands.  After HS, I moved on to other instruments.  Played bass guitar in the garage band for a while, picked up a little sax and flute cuz it was needed for some song or other....

The 'Kid's had music lessons of various instruments since 3rd grade.  3 years violin, played 1 year clarinet and 2 years bass clarinet in school band, taught himself bass guitar, and now he's taking private lessons for guitar and (as a freshman) is playing bass guitar for the school jazz band.  His favorite music genre?  Classic Rock!  Led, AC/DC, some RHCP, yesterday he started to learn the intro to Freebird.  :)

Jeff H- I can't imagine trying to learn on your own to read music.  If you can, it might be worth it to spring for a few lessons to have someone help you get going.  They probably know some tricks for learning, especially since you do have the basics, just need to correlate to the dots-n-dashes on the page.  :lol:

Good Luck!  I think it is worth the effort for you to learn.  It will give you a ton more options for playing.

I learned to read basic sheet music when I was very little because I wouldn't leave my sister alone when she was practicing what she learned at her piano lessons.  My parents were adamantly against me playing the drums in the elementary school band so I picked up the trumpet (my arms were too short for the trombone!).  I learned more and more about sheet music from there, and we even had exercises where we had to write our own mini pieces.  

When I was 11 I had saved up my pennies  and birthday money to buy a $100 Silvertone guitar.  I had 1 book of sheet music for the guitar, but my brother looked at it and told me about tabs and I never really bothered with sheet music for the guitar after that.  I'm glad I can read sheet music, because I can go in blind with just that piece of paper and know what to do, where as a tab doesn't have things like the lengths of the notes… but if I am looking up a tab, its usually for a song I'm already familiar with.  You can find some stuff on the internet that is both the tab and sheet music on one piece, and even if the songs are not what you want to be learning, it might help you get the hang of the sheet music. www.musicnotes.com  has the tab and sheet music and a terrible keyboard sound track to go with it… they give you the first page free, but usually you have to pay for the whole song, but if you are just learning, even that one page might be helpful.  

Did y'all know they even have sheet music for drums?

i cant read sheet music. started to learn when i was 6 and 7 "guitar lessons for two years",only thing i remember is how pissed i was the first day that i couldnt play "you aint nothing but a hounddog" b ut boy could i jump between couches with my guitar at my house most excellent.    with that being said i  cant remember anything,if i every learned anything. ill stick with tab at this point.

rawk: there is sheet music for everything.  you should see the scribes for zappa,"done by steve vai."  there is sheet music for the kazoo,spoons,and other strange things on the joes garage transcribe.

what you saying t.b./ drummers are just naturally to loud and fast?   hay look if you only knew the skill it took to slow down and quiet down so you bitching guitarist will shut up you would be amazed :rofl:

can you imagine transcribing this show?      :shocked:

Vienna-Vegetable-Orchestr-001.jpg

yes thats lettuce. and yes dude has some lettuce hooked up to a pedal.

TrueNorthReptiles said:
I can't read sheet music, either. Just give me tabs. It is easier and more accessible these days. Sheet music is outdated.

Agreed! Look into ESP/LTD as well. Their EC is a Les Paul body style. You can get similar features and quality for a fraction of the price.
sheet music is not out dated. pro studio/session players better still be able to play on the fly.  also think orchestras. these dudes have to learn at practices by sheet music for score : plays,movies,soundtracks ect ect.  for us garage,cheesy bar/club dudes there is no need.. you dont need to read even to make it big,as i would imagine 90 percent of "rock stars" cant. . but if you are cutting teeth on and in the scene of big music depots, nashville for example. and you want a permant gig at a recording studio. better know your sight. 

the bass player in my band can read,and the diffrence between him learning a cover song and the guitarist is night and day.

most tab players still have to rote " i do"  if you can read and understand your instrument its on the fly

sicman said:

sheet music is not out dated. pro studio/session players better still be able to play on the fly.  also think orchestras. these dudes have to learn at practices by sheet music for score : plays,movies,soundtracks ect ect.  for us garage,cheesy bar/club dudes there is no need.. you dont need to read even to make it big,as i would imagine 90 percent of "rock stars" cant. . but if you are cutting teeth on and in the scene of big music depots, nashville for example. and you want a permant gig at a recording studio. better know your sight. 

There are different types of tabs out there, ya know? ProTab? GuitarPro? Etc. They can do everything and more than sheet music, but are usually easier to read and interpret for most players. Learning sheet is good, but there are other options that are just as good or better nowadays.

Just did some quick looking at guitar tab examples. 
I've never read or played with tabs.  Tabs seem to be a graph of "place X finger on Y string on the Z fret"= a chord.  I can see how that is a simple way of playing rhythm guitar, but it does not teach the person to read music, treble and bass clef, keys, reading a melody line, basic chord progressions, 1-4-5, minor 7th, diminished 9ths, playing a vocal line when the vocalist need some help or playing a harmony to the vocalist or soloist, where's the solo...

Back-in-the-day....high school talent shows etc....a singer would bring a song to me that they wanted to perform, but the key wasn't right.  Too high or too low...I could transpose the song on the fly using the sheet music and basically sight reading it to the new key.  Move everything from an Eflat key to C key...

(hypothetical question here) But what happens when you're jamming with some guys, and they say "let's do Dixie Chicken in Eflat" and you'd learned it in G.... could you do it?

Not all musicians need that kind of on-the-fly skill.  And a lot of it was that I had a LOT of time in the seat (or piano bench as it was... lol)...   I think that being able to read sheet music gives the musician a better overall understanding of music, keys, and chords than just matching fingers to a grid pattern on a page.  If they can learn to read music, they'll be better for it.     

texas blues said:

By "transposed", did you mean write it out as sheet music?  

pssssst... transpose means to change key.

The word you are looking for is "transcribe".

And by the way, that "sick bend" would be easy to transcribe. So would the fingerpicked part. It would involve just an instructional word over the staff that says "pluck", followed by numeral notification over each transcribed note that noted T, 1, 2, 3 or 4 as to which corresponding finger to use while plucking.

Also not trying to be pedantic but need to say, charts are not sheet music. Charts involve the chord changes, and some minor instruction. It's an overview of the tune. Most times the chord voicings are left up to the player, but sometimes they are noted.

Sheet music has every detail. 

To Jeff: As far as reading sheet music, I played guitar professionally over a 20 year career. I did a bit of everything from studio work to national tours to working a night gig in a Waikiki showroom. Not always full time, but it has sporadically been a full time deal for a few stretches. I also taught guitar for years. I'm not sure that reading sheet music is going to give you either the inspiration to continue, or the results you are looking for. I could read sheet music fluently at one time. Anything from classical pieces to Spike Jones, to Zappa. I didn't use it much, but needed it occasionally. Unfortunately, it's not like riding a bike. If you don't use it, you lose it quick. Above all the pro stuff, the most rewarding time of playing guitar happened after I stopped the gigging stuff, and just did my own thing. I sat up a little home studio in '04, and had a blast for a few years. I've done collaborations with friends over the net, and a ton of tunes that served no commercial purpose. It was just fun to do whatever I chose, and not have some producer, or band director telling me what they wanted.

The best thing for you to do is just learn songs. Forget the sheet music or tab and sit out on the back porch with some tunes on and a beer close. Just noodle around to what you hear on the radio. Getting that ear involved will help you loads more than trying to stumble through some mundane, forgettable, and thoroughly uninspiring transcribed version of "When the Saints Go Marching In". 

It's music brutha!  Not remedial math :) Have fun with it!

Cheers!

salsa lady not sure what you looked at but decent tab,"since computer has gotten popular lots of half ass jobs"     has notation for timing and vibrato and all that jive.   i remember in the old guitar magazines the tab would also have all the song scribed out. it was groovy.    either way you are right on about it not being close to being able to read.

TrueNorthReptiles said:

There are different types of tabs out there, ya know? ProTab? GuitarPro? Etc. They can do everything and more than sheet music, but are usually easier to read and interpret for most players. Learning sheet is good, but there are other options that are just as good or better nowadays.
ya i know? ive been around before and during the invention of all that jive.   that has no bearing on your statment about outdated.   reading is not out dated. you will never be able to convince me of that.  

anyways peace and love to all ;)

Back