• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Roasted Pineapple Habanero Salsa (Knockoff)

15s7k7t.jpg

This is not my recipe but I use it quite frequently, I am including the link below where I obtained the recipe.  The recipe in my opinion uses to much sugar, when I make this salsa I scale back the sugar to 1 cup and I use raw Organic sugar.   For those people who will try the recipe Warning: do not roast the Habanero peppers inside the house, I do it outside on the grill !  

Link:  http://ourforeverhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/pineapple-habanero-sauce-knock-off.html

[SIZE=large]Pineapple Habanero Sauce[/SIZE]

Ingredients:
4 cups sugar     <------  I use one cup of sugar only! 
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup pineapple juice
3 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp cornstarch (mixed with a bit of water to create slurry)
1 medium to large pineapple, roasted, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1 yellow pepper, finely chopped
1 mango, finely chopped
5-6 habanero peppers, roasted, finely chopped

Create a simple syrup in a large pot by whisking the sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice and lemon juice over medium high heat until the sugar dissolves. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil for 2 minutes.  Turn off the heat and let sit while you prep the remaining ingredients.

Roasting the pineapple and habaneros will bring out their inherent sweetness and richness.  This can be done on your grill outside or using a grill pan on your cook-top.  (I chose to use my George Foreman since it was pouring rain outside when I was working on this recipe.)  Slice the pineapple in rings and grill until the sugars begin to caramelize and creates grill marks on both sides.

Note:  Before finely chopping my pineapple I trimmed away the outer rind.

Lightly char the skins of the habanero peppers over an open flame or on a searing hot grill pan.  Do not grill your red and yellow bell peppers in order to maintain some crunch and texture in the sauce.

Make sure the habaneros are super finely chopped. If you want to tone down the heat slightly carefully remove the seeds.  (I used my chopper so that I would not have to touch the peppers - I have a habit of getting hot pepper oils on my fingers and touching my eyes.  The pepper oils not only make your hand tingle but burns like crazy on your face.  NOT FUN! Additionally, the chopper allowed me to make sure the peppers were in super tiny pieces so no one bites into a large piece of super hot pepper.)

Next, finely chop all fruit, peppers and onion into 1/4" pieces (or smaller).  Stir the remaining ingredients into the simple syrup you prepared earlier.  Stir in the cornstarch (mixing with a few tablespoons of water first to create a slurry).  Bring the mixture to a boil and the turn down the heat to simmer for 5-10 minutes.  The consistency should be syrupy and chunky.

This recipe makes 4-5 pints of sauce.  The sauce may be canned using a water bath for 15 minutes. Or placed in jars and frozen.  Sauce should remain fresh in the fridge for approximately 2-3 weeks (if it lasts that long).

As with the store bought sauce, it is the perfect pairing with so many things including chicken, pork, fish and seafood.  It makes a great appetizer when partnered with cream cheese or goat cheese and used as a dip or a topping on crackers or croutons.  We love it to just dip tortilla chips (alongside a margarita and life is good).

Enjoy! 

Jem936 said:
sounds good, slow roasting dried habaneros inside the house is fine to me, I have never tried roasting fresh ones.....yet.

First time I ever made this sauce I roasted the habanero's in a very hot stainless steel skillet on stove, we had to air the house out the fumes were so bad.  The wife was not very happy with me, I suggest doing them on the grill outside. 

7potquezada said:
Sounds delicious. I love the hab smoke though lol...been toasting them for years indoors lol.

THis salsa is delicious.  The recipe is not mine and as I said in original post the amount of sugar used in recipe is way overboard.  Cut it back to 1 cup of sugar and it will be perfect, or even less if you dont like it that sweet.  On my next batch I may add carmelized onions to the recipe to kick the recipe up a notch. 

Looks yummy, thanks for sharing! I'll roast outside and will also reduce the sugar as per your recommendation. My habs are still green, but getting to a nice size now, so hopefully I can make this soon.

Buzzman19 said:

THis salsa is delicious.  The recipe is not mine and as I said in original post the amount of sugar used in recipe is way overboard.  Cut it back to 1 cup of sugar and it will be perfect, or even less if you dont like it that sweet.  On my next batch I may add carmelized onions to the recipe to kick the recipe up a notch. 
Those onions!!! Making my mouth water man.

LOL - I found this exact recipe a month ago and saved in my "stuff to make" file - Do you use it as a salsa? The Op had originally used it on a lot of stuff - I wanted to try it as a bbq sauce and brie topped with it looked tasty as well

LUCKYDOG said:
LOL - I found this exact recipe a month ago and saved in my "stuff to make" file - Do you use it as a salsa? The Op had originally used it on a lot of stuff - I wanted to try it as a bbq sauce and brie topped with it looked tasty as well

I use it mainly as a Salsa, but if I grill chicken or porkchops I serve this on top of that.  With everything roasted in this salsa you dont really have to go any further by using it as a BBQ sauce.  When you taste it you get that sweet smokey flavor blast right away, it will satisfy your BBQ craving for sure. 

Have you had the Rothschild Farm version? I am curious if its close, needless to say, if it isn't, the recipe still piqued my interest. I just edited my saved copy to cut back the sugar 

LUCKYDOG said:
Have you had the Rothschild Farm version? I am curious if its close, needless to say, if it isn't, the recipe still piqued my interest. I just edited my saved copy to cut back the sugar 

Yes I have had the Rothschild version and to be honest its a dissapointment compared to home made.  The Rothchild is barely hot at all and you can barely make out a very faint Habanero taste.  I guess for the casual person who thinks Jalapenos are blazing hot the Rothchild is great for that crowd and thats who they are probably marketing it for. 

For the crowd here I would say skip the Rothchild and make your own. 

I made this this weekend and am very pleased. Went ahead and used the full 4 cups of sugar, since I like sweet/hot, and it probably is a bit too sweet even for my tastes. But I still love it!

There were a couple changes made. My habs aren't ripe yet so I substituted 10 red ripe serranos. Perfect!

I hickory smoke/grilled the red and orange bell peppers along with the pineapple.

Also added a quarter sized chunk of fresh ginger finely ground with the peppers, just because I like ginger in my sauces.

This sauce will work great with stir-fry, chicken nuggets, egg rolls, even just on a plain saltine cracker. I had thrown a slab of salmon on the grill after the fruit and veggies came off just to take advantage of the fire. Once finished it was - forget about the tarter sauce, this goes on instead!
:dance:

Thanks for sharing.

i made this last night and didn't really like the cooked pineapple. fresh pineapple is so sweet, fresh, acidic but when you cook it it increases the sweetness but removes some of the sour / acidity it seems.

Next time i would like to just try this with raw ingredients and use only halfcup or no sugar.

i had this sauce on eggs, quesedillas, enchiladas, and just plain. It doesn't really go well with any of those. I think it's more made for a grilled fish / maybe chicken taco.. anything kinda citrusy not rich and savory.

Back