• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

grow box HELP please

Made a grow box yesterday. One 60w 120v grow n sho bulb.

1514174_10201688501042879_592627883_n_zps552b7e60.jpg

One rubbermade plstic storage box..

Foil glued on with elmers glue and some doubled over duct tape.

Hole cut inlid to alow bulb in.

Sealed with small fan on low inside.
10003228_10201680809610598_769349718_n_zps05e98b93.jpg
983645_10201681388345066_885719728_n_zps1c896d96.jpg

10169222_10201680162714426_13086471_n_zps925987c9.jpg

1458530_10201680161634399_131462266_n_zps0e1453ce.jpg

Yesterday you could see growth. Today I checked them and the peach hook seems gone and the chocolate scorpian is nearly gone.

I then checked soil temp and found 98/100f

Now I have propped the lid so as not to have the "easy bake oven effect.

QUESTIONS= can't afford a nice grow light rig. Will this grow bulb work?

Fried them right? Should I toss these two?

Will propping up the lid serve effective?

1375875_10201688244796473_1837495460_n_zps013feb22.jpg

THANKS for your help,

Rymerpt

If they died then yes toss them. Yes leave the top off or propped open. I would use a bigger CFL (an actual 30-40w not "replacement" watts) instead of the grow n sho (incandescent sucks) and i would take that fan out and have it blowing across the top instead of inside. You prolly dried them out with the fan. Oscilating fans work best because its not constant, but I guess you cant get one inside that box.

Yea think there toast, but gonna prop the lid take the fan out and toss them only when I have new sprouts to replace them with. Couldn't hurt to wait a day or three to throw thm.

What were your intentions for the grow box?  Its rather shallow and it places the 60w bulb really close to the sprouts when they emerge. If it was intended for sprouting seeds, go with a heating pad on low with the cover on. Once sprouted remove cover and place under a suitable cfl bulb. If the grow box was intended for actually growing plants long term you will probably need to go much larger and maybe even have to construct something vs off the shelf. a cfl bulb only costs a few bucks and can be obtained in daylight spectrum.

HP22BH said:
What were your intentions for the grow box?  Its rather shallow and it places the 60w bulb really close to the sprouts when they emerge. If it was intended for sprouting seeds, go with a heating pad on low with the cover on. Once sprouted remove cover and place under a suitable cfl bulb. If the grow box was intended for actually growing plants long term you will probably need to go much larger and maybe even have to construct something vs off the shelf. a cfl bulb only costs a few bucks and can be obtained in daylight spectrum.
I have the heat mat for the seeds to germinate ( with dome).
I saw growth so I put them in the home made box for the "next step" I felt that this "grow light bulb" would work untill the seedlings got a few real leaves then I was gonna put them in the true California sun.

It seems that I may/did kill these two. Please advise so that I don't kill more. I could pop for a different "costs a few bucks" bulb, but not a 65 buck rig with tubes like I have seen. Thought I did things right and am crushed that I may have killed my first from seed babies. I wait and wait,..........
Fuxx this sucks.

I noticed this year that when I germinated in an environment with high humidity and took the sprouts out right away and into warmer or cooler dry air they would wilt within about 30 min, and if not acclimatized slowly they'd die. Started with a couple 10-15 minute at a time then an hour then two then they seemed good (over a few days to a week).

I'm no expert by any means but I'd forget the box altogether and just pop the light over the dome and forget about the mat since the light seems plenty warm. Then, once the sprouts are up I'd harden them off to the dry air slowly and there you go. Doubt the tin foil will make a huge difference.

This is just what worked well for me ymmv.

Also, if you want a cooler temp light just grab a cheap screw-in fluorescent bulb from home depot or walmart -- 6500k (daylight) is what you're looking for. About $4-$5.

where in California are you, or what are the temps you are averaging day and night?
You may not even have to go to lights at all.

HP22BH said:
where in California are you, or what are the temps you are averaging day and night?
You may not even have to go to lights at all.
Sacramento.
Average temps are good low 45 high 80
We have had a storm for about a week with wimpy rain, but off and on sun is expected

I would used the box for germination and then, move them outside. keep the sprouts covered at night just in case of a frost (didn't check your grow zone so I don't know your last frost date is). Or like I said, keep the cover off after germination and place a CFL light over them. With the aluminum foil they should do pretty good and you'll be moving them outside before you know it. But with the cover and that incandescent gro lite bulb, I think you will continue to bake your sprouts.

HP22BH said:
I would used the box for germination and then, move them outside. keep the sprouts covered at night just in case of a frost (didn't check your grow zone so I don't know your last frost date is). Or like I said, keep the cover off after germination and place a CFL light over them. With the aluminum foil they should do pretty good and you'll be moving them outside before you know it. But with the cover and that incandescent gro lite bulb, I think you will continue to bake your sprouts.
Yea the heat needs to be able to escape. The way I see it is heatmat until a good solid hook is seen. Then on to the grow box ( lid propped open) . After a few leaves form put out side in real sun. RIGHT ?

Back