• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Jalapenos from Mexico

I know everyone that reads this has grown, bought and or eaten jalapenos. and everyone could probably paint a pretty good picture in their mind. Color, shape, size. and are probably right now recalling the heat and taste.

What is it they do in Mexico to get these huge delicious jalapenos?

here, let me paint a picture.

JALAPENOS MEXICO.jpg

these are really great tasting peppers and would probably taste even better right from my garden. Definitely saving some seeds!

Environment helps somewhat.

Genetics I reckon is also a factor.

Several years ago I saved seeds from store bought Mexican xalapa's.

They grew out exactly the same as what I had bought.

And same size as shown in the above pic.

If its a jalapeno, no matter where its grown, its still a real deal jalapeno.

They're the most popular and most widely distributed chile on the planet.

Real xalapas have an amazing flavour - something that has been mostly lost in all the watered down variations in commercial agriculture.  I know the Numex Chili Institute has been digging up the old cultivars again to address the lack of flavour in the modern stuff - any of their products with Heritage in the name are the result of this.

If you grew the seeds from those xalapa they would taste the same as the real deal - TB is right - it will still be the real deal.  But the real xalapa comes from............as Willard said: Xalapa. 

My poinrt was that so much is called a xalapa but they just don't have the flavour anymore. 

Jamison said:
I can almost guarantee you those seeds won't sprout.

Why not? Irradiated?

Also does anyone know if the giant jalapeno seeds from Judy are anything like the 'huge delicious jalapenos' from Xalapa?

Jeff H said:

Fruit not ripe so the seeds aren't mature. Seeds from Red jals will have a much better chance of sprouting.

Not sure I believe this. In fact, I have a jalapeno plant growing from a green pod I collected last year. took the seeds out. I think it may depend on how close it is to being ripe, but doesnt necessarily have to be?

mx5inpa said:

Not sure I believe this. In fact, I have a jalapeno plant growing from a green pod I collected last year. took the seeds out. I think it may depend on how close it is to being ripe, but doesnt necessarily have to be?
I think it is more of a statistical chance of success. Your chance of success goes up the closer the pod is to being ripe. Most green pods have a low chance of success, but it is certainly possible. I've germinated a seed from a green poblano before, but I planted a ton of seeds only to get one to pop.

Hmm,

texas blues said:
Environment helps somewhat.

Genetics I reckon is also a factor.

Several years ago I saved seeds from store bought Mexican xalapa's.

They grew out exactly the same as what I had bought.

And same size as shown in the above pic.

If its a jalapeno, no matter where its grown, its still a real deal jalapeno.

They're the most popular and most widely distributed chile on the planet.
Cool fun facts there, while it is a fact that regardless of where it is grown, the genetics stay the same making it (whatever variety is it), how would environment be a minor issue though? I'm sure its far easier to grow trinidadian, asian, latin american varieties in their native environments or one similar, than it would be to grow outdoors (given that these are commercially grown) in an environment not fully suited to the cultivar....

I'm just saying man...kinda why people use greenhouses as well. Helps control or even mimick certain climates....

but hey Idk anyone who doesnt love jalanpenos....so delicious....now I want to stuff a few with cream cheese and hab chunks and bake em!!

:cheers:

. . . amazing flavour - something that has been mostly lost in all the watered down variations in commercial agriculture.

I'd like to think our personal grows are in part, rebellions against the blandness, the dumbing-down, the homogeneity.

. . . decades of breeding practices that emphasized the traits of plant yield and disease resistance have caused several green chile varieties to lose their signature taste and aroma.  — Paul Bosland in http://researchmag.nmsu.edu/2010_SP/feature_muy_delicioso.html

Is there a Heritage-named jalapeño?  A couple of searches have turned up Heritage green chiles, New Mexico varieties, but not jalapeños, so far.

Jamison said:
I can almost guarantee you those seeds won't sprout.
maybe not, but a seed never sown definitely will not.
besides, I only need one plant to mature for seed stock.

btw, I had a large one with lunch today, its a two meal pepper. they have some really good heat for a jalapeno or xalapas.

HP22BH said:
maybe not, but a seed never sown definitely will not.
besides, I only need one plant to mature for seed stock.

btw, I had a large one with lunch today, its a two meal pepper. they have some really good heat for a jalapeno or xalapas.
That x or j in the peppers name is tricky....on one hand you have the j which was imposed by the spanish...then the x which is prounounced "sh" in nahautl the original mexican language, though nowadays even x's are pronounced as j's making the h sound, which is what makes mexican spanish different from others, lots of indigenous words are still used to this day. lol...sorry didn't mean to change the subject but that just comes to mind whenever I read or see any x's in Mexican spanish words lol...

kudos on the jumbo pepper...so damn classic.

mx5inpa said:
Why not? Irradiated?
Also does anyone know if the giant jalapeno seeds from Judy are anything like the 'huge delicious jalapenos' from Xalapa?
Giant plant for an annuum,almost seems like the name is for the plant and not the pods. I was expecting larger pods,and the flavor an heat were ehhhh.

Back