• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Getting varieties from Jamaica

My sister is going on her honeymoon in a week or so and will be staying in Negril, Jamaica. She asked me if I wanted her to bring anything back for me and the first thing I thought of was chili seeds. She loves doing market shopping so she said she will try and bring back as much as she could (so long as customs doesn't snag all of it before).

I was wondering if there were any varieties in particular that were "must haves" that might be more difficult to get by normal means. I'm interested in growing any and all varieties. BTW I already have 4 Jamaican Scotch Bonnet MoA plants growing from isolated seeds I received from KingDenniz :P. Don't get me wrong though, the more SB the better.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation on how to bring these back, as far as storing for seed safety as well as secrecy?

I would also be interested in growing anything else that might be noteworthy to grow other than chilies (i.e. herbs, vegetables), if anyone knows something good please let me know about it. Chilies come first hopefully, if she is able to bring it back.

Thanks a lot,
Chris

I brought some seeds back from the Virgin Islands. Like you, I had a concern that the seeds might be found and confiscated. So, I put loose seeds in a compartment in my carry on bag. They were loose, so I could just say "Beats me, I didn't know they were there, They must have fallen out of a seed pack sometime!" The seeds came home just fine. Trouble was, I had a spare handkerchief in the compartment. When I used it I went into a coughing and sneezing fit!

Most of the peppers sold at the markets can be bought here now, except for occasional mixed varieties, your sister would need to know what the different varieties looked like, so that she wouldn't get fooled by the locals, better to find a guid that knew what all the different peppers looked liked, so he or she could just take her to where she could buy whatever you are looking for.
It would be a lot easier though, just to ask around here about all the different varieties and you could get lucky and find some seeds of some of the rarer peppers, safer too. She would have to dry the seeds and put them in baggies that had the names on them or you would know which ones were which.  Also US customs might have a fit if they thought she might be smuggling contraband which could lead to a full body search, I don't think your sister would like that.   :pray:  :shocked:
You could try looking at some of the better seed companies Like Pepperlover.com, Buckeye pepper CO. or Rainbow Chili Seeds as they have some of the best varieties around. :P

You could have your sister mail them from Jamaica. That way she doesn't get searched or have to deal with customs. I think you should ask her to take pics of the peppers and grab them for you. I know the Jamaicans like to mix their peppers all up. If I was you, I would want seeds from there too.

Back