• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Magic Mushrooms Can Create New Brain Cells

http://www.hightimes.com/read/technicolor-medicine-magic-mushrooms-can-create-new-brain-cells

By Mike Adams · Mon Mar 31, 2014

Hardcore trip enthusiasts have been using psilocybin mushrooms for years in an attempt to gain access to the Technicolor trap door into the unknown in hopes that God may meet them somewhere along the way and explain what all this life business is actually about. Of course, there are also those who just want to watch their friends’ faces melt off and listen for subliminal messages on all their favorite records.
The scientific community, however, says there is more to the “magic mushroom” than just an emotional glimpse inside the looking glass of the universe, but similar to our friend marijuana, it also has medicinal properties that could one day be used to cure a myriad of mental afflictions.
Researchers from the University of Florida recently published a study in the journal Experimental Brain Research that suggests specific components of psilocybin mushrooms have the ability to create new brain cells. The discovery can be used to develop ground breaking new treatments for severe mental conditions…even improve learning.
In fact, researchers suggest that when given to mice, psilocybin mushrooms proved successful in restoring crippled brain cells as well as easing the symptoms of conditions like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and depression -- sometimes even working as a cure.
To establish these results, lead researcher Dr. Juan R. Sanchez-Ramos conditioned laboratory mice to be fearful of an electro shock, and then monitored the animals after a dose of psilocybin. What he found was the mice on “shrooms” became more relaxed and less likely to react to fear than those left untreated.
“The proposition that psilocybin impacts cognition and stimulates hippocampal neurogenesis is based on extensive evidence that serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT) acting on specific 5-HT receptor sub-types (most likely the 5-HT2A receptor) is involved in the regulation of neurogenesis in hippocampus,” said Dr. Sanchez-Ramos. “The in vitro and in vivo animal data is compelling enough to explore whether psilocybin will enhance neurogenesis and result in measurable improvements in learning.”
Dr. Sanchez-Ramos adds that psilocybin has a way of infiltrating the hippocampus portion of the brain, which can assist in improving memory and overall brain function.
Two UK studies published earlier this year corroborate Dr. Sanchez-Ramos’ latest findings, concurring that psilocybin has the potential for alleviating depression and other psychiatric disorders.

queequeg152 said:
nope.

drugs r bad.

I don't use any drugs these days, but I was a pothead back in my younger years as well as having my fair share of experience with psilocybin mushrooms. I am all for medical research of any and all potentially beneficial drugs. You'd be amazed at the sources of some of our most common medicines. Some of the nastiest substances known to man (think venom from deadly snakes and spiders) are used to treat illnesses such as diabetes, MS, Alzheimers, etc. And to be fair, most approved medicines are faaaaaar worse for you than other "illicit drugs". Case in point being most pain pills. Hydrocodone, oxycodone, etc, etc. Horrible for your body. I know several people who have gotten off the pills and onto marijuana for pain relief and the harm done to their bodies and side effects with pot is much less than the socially accepted pills. I don't even feel I need to bring up the risks associated with alcohol and tobacco, both of which are the social norm.

So I say keep at it, folks! With some more research and testing, you just may unlock a new cure.

Surely there is a spectrum of grey between the phrases "drugs are bad" and "drugs are good"? What drugs? Taken in what circumstances?

Smoking crack cocaine is, by all accounts, very bad. Same for crystal meth. I haven`t used either, so I don`t know, but I do believe they are stupid things to do. 

Taking 12 Hydrocodone to get high is flat out dumb and extremely dangerous because of the acetaminophen content, not the hydrocodone. Taking 2 to control bad pain, not dumb at all. 

There are any number of scientifically proven beneficial effects of smoking Cannabis, although smoking anything can`t be good for the lungs. It that 100% bad, 100% of the time? 

Same for hallucinogens. At some point, all that music you love, books you read or poetry you adore was influenced by artists that were taking LSD or similar hallucinogens. Or drinking Absinthe, which amounted to the same thing 100 years ago.

I am not advocating taking illegal drugs, just saying that there are shades of grey in life.

While I wouldn't call alcohol and tobacco "social norms", I have no problems with the source of a drug if it can be proven to be safe and effective while eliminating the side-effects that are not needed or even dangerous, such as hallucinations. If they can extract some element of the source to create the medically-necessary component while leaving the rest, I say go for it.

At the same time, I would be wary of researchers' personal bias in this kind of research - could possibly be that they are really just trying to justify use and have injected that bias into their results. "To establish these results, lead researcher Dr. Juan R. Sanchez-Ramos conditioned laboratory mice to be fearful of an electro shock, and then monitored the animals after a dose of psilocybin. What he found was the mice on “shrooms” became more relaxed and less likely to react to fear than those left untreated." Of course they became more relaxed and less fearful - that's a known possible side-effect of psylocybin; anyone who has used them can tell you that, no researchers needed. Tell us what happens after the dose wears off....

There`s a gigantic difference between anecdotal evidence "everyone knows that" and scientifically determined evidence "500 mice were taken and split into groups, some given X in differing concentrations and some given none. Experiments were then conducted to answer a specific question" 

Researcher bias? Really? Trials like this are done blind, meaning nobody who analyses the data produced know which mice were given what. If the experiments are not done that way the data could`t ever be subjected to peer-review and published. 

geeme said:
While I wouldn't call alcohol and tobacco "social norms", I have no problems with the source of a drug if it can be proven to be safe and effective while eliminating the side-effects that are not needed or even dangerous, such as hallucinations. If they can extract some element of the source to create the medically-necessary component while leaving the rest, I say go for it.

At the same time, I would be wary of researchers' personal bias in this kind of research - could possibly be that they are really just trying to justify use and have injected that bias into their results. "To establish these results, lead researcher Dr. Juan R. Sanchez-Ramos conditioned laboratory mice to be fearful of an electro shock, and then monitored the animals after a dose of psilocybin. What he found was the mice on “shrooms” became more relaxed and less likely to react to fear than those left untreated." Of course they became more relaxed and less fearful - that's a known possible side-effect of psylocybin; anyone who has used them can tell you that, no researchers needed. Tell us what happens after the dose wears off....

How many people a day do you see smoking a cigarette or chewing? How many folks come home from work to an nice cold beer or margarita? I would consider their usage to be a VERY normal occurrence here in the USA and most countries around around the world. And as a whole, they are socially acceptable drugs.

You do raise some good points, though. Like I said as well, far more testing needs done. Eating a bag of shrooms probably isn't the answer, but a refined medicine made from their active ingredients, might be. Remember, the contents in this article is just step one in a whole heap of testing and tweaking needed, but since there is evidence that it may be beneficial, they need to press on.

Drugs people are addicted to: love (oxytocin), excitement (adrenalin), exercise and capsaicin (both release endorphins).

Literally everything in the world is some kind of drug.

Even trying to tell other people that drugs are bad probably releases some feel good chemicals in your brain when you think you're doing good.

Cannabis has also been shown to grown new brain cells in the hippocampus. The study that showed it killed brain cells in the 60's was conducted in such a way that the actual culprit was carbon monoxide.

geeme said:

The side effects of mushrooms are eliminated through tiny dosages which I believe is what they used in a psilocybin study of treatment for PTSD.

Mushrooms are being used by some to prevent cluster headaches. It is a horribly crippling disorder and past treatment only involved breathing pure oxygen and rolling around in agony till they stop. So this does not surprise me one bit.

I don't consider myself to be any kind of a druggie but I have eaten psychedelic mushrooms and I have to say it was a pleasant experience that gave me a new outlook on reality. It can take you places in your own mind that you have never been so I can see it propagating the process of neurogenesis. Research into how it can possibly help us is a good thing in my book.

It could maybe even be looked at as a gift from god if you are into that kind of thing :P

I dont know if any of you have seehen Jill Bolte Taylor's TED talk. She was a brain neuroscientist who had a left hemisphere stroke. Her left brain shut down or was turned down as a result of the stroke, what she describes is in essence a LSD, mushroom, or peyote trip, whether she knows it or not.

I have come to the conclusion that this is what most hallucinogenics do, they turn off or turn down the left brain and allow you to see what the right brain is doing.
Pepperjack91 said:
Mushrooms are being used by some to prevent cluster headaches. It is a horribly crippling disorder and past treatment only involved breathing pure oxygen and rolling around in agony till they stop. So this does not surprise me one bit.

I don't consider myself to be any kind of a druggie but I have eaten psychedelic mushrooms and I have to say it was a pleasant experience that gave me a new outlook on reality. It can take you places in your own mind that you have never been so I can see it propagating the process of neurogenesis. Research into how it can possibly help us is a good thing in my book.

It could maybe even be looked at as a gift from god if you are into that kind of thing :P

I know there was a study on DMT or mushrooms and even the religious people some 10 years later considered it one of the most spiritual experiences of their lives.
There are even some theories that the concept of "god" came about because of people use of hallucinogens early in our history.

mx5inpa said:
I know there was a study on DMT or mushrooms and even the religious people some 10 years later considered it one of the most spiritual experiences of their lives.There are even some theories that the concept of "god" came about because of people use of hallucinogens early in our history.
I think I watched that about DMT as well. There was also a machine they put on people's head that simulated the experience of some higher power being present. Electromagnetic waves or something.

Be careful with that stuff.... it can make you stupid, with all them extra brain cells, and stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4PfW41bX-4

Be careful living in Louisiana, it also can make you stupid.

duck-dynasty-1070256-flash.jpg

mx5inpa said:
Be careful living in Louisiana, it also can make you stupid.

duck-dynasty-1070256-flash.jpg

Really? Are insults really necessary? Sheesh.... completely uncalled for. I posted a video of a dude acting like a complete mental invalid because of shrooms, and this is your proper response?!?!?! Wow. Just, wow.

Not that Jim and Them isn't a good source for information, but that looks more like something along the lines of cocaine psychosis. Taking one's clothes off because they perceive themselves to be very hot. Going into a fit of rage. It reminds me of people who are out of control on substances similar to PCP.

Back