Hello from Edinburgh, Scotland!

Just wanted to say Hello as I just joined the site today,

I've been a reader for a couple of weeks and appreciate everyone's knowledge so much, you've really helped me kickstart my hot sauce production!

I'm currently 3 weeks into a fermentation, Cayanne and Scotch Bonnets (3:1), which I'm going to continue for 90 days, this is subsequently going to be turned into a sauce with a tabasco-esque consistency (hopefully...) and barrel aged for another 90 days in an old american oak barrel which previously held a combination of Caribbean rums.

The idea is that the sauce is going to be used as the house hot sauce for my restaurant as well as the sauce for our chicken wings.

I will endeavour to keep anyone interested up to date with my developments!

Regards,

Simon 

First off:  welcome!

Second off:  YOU ARE GONNA AGE HOME MADE SAUCE IN USED RUM BARRELS?!?!?  Oh my god that's awesome.  I can't tell you how awesome that is.  I'm so jealous.  You need to start a thread about this sauce with lots of pictures.

I've been wanting to do this bad enough that I've kicked around the idea of aging white whisky in a small 2 liter barrel, just so I can then age hot sauce in it.  I think rye whisky would be a fun medium.

Anyway, good luck!

@turbo I'll keep you in the loop as to what's happening, is it worth me starting a thread of my own to track the progress of this?? I've got loads of pictures, i like to studiously record what's going on with pics and a diary, I'm trying to upload pics but can't at the moment...

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

SimonDouglas87 said:
@turbo I'll keep you in the loop as to what's happening, is it worth me starting a thread of my own to track the progress of this?? I've got loads of pictures, i like to studiously record what's going on with pics and a diary, I'm trying to upload pics but can't at the moment...

Absolutely.  Threads have been started for way less important reasons :) 

. . . barrel aged for another 90 days in an old American oak barrel which previously held a combination of Caribbean rums.

Yes . . . I just finished an enjoyable bottle of Spiced Sailor Jerry.  [Note to self: next time, order a barrel.]

Absolutely.  Threads have been started for way less important reasons :) 
Haha that's reassuring, I'll get on that in the next few days, work permitting!I'm VERY excited about the effect the barrel will have, the rums were mixed and barrel aged for 6 months to give us a 'Zombie' cocktail mix.

The mix contained Bacardi 8, Appleton white, Goslings 151, Grand Marnier, green chartreuse and a grapefruit and rhubarb based bitters that I created and aged for a year in an a small ex Whisky barrel. Think it will add a touch of depth...

welcome_zps56d47d4a.gif
from Calfornia

Back