• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Question about the Carolina Reaper

Considering that Mr.Currie has patented his creation, and it has to come from him or one of his registered "vendors", (for lack of a better word) does that mean that you would have to be authorized by him to sell any at farmers markets,etc? Or how would this work? Sounds like anything other than hobby growing this plant could potentially lead to a lawsuit. As far as growing these to sell the fruits is concerned...just a question.

HP22BH said:
I will try to get you an answer to that in the next day or two. as well as some additional pertinent info.
Thanks a ton man! I seriously appreciate it. It's been on my mind, especially since I'm working on getting a growers,vendors,etc cert or license and all that.

As far as I know only "Smokin Ed's Carolina Reaper" is all that is trademarked, so simply Carolina Reaper is fine. Though those more knowledgeable than me should be able to help out.

probably not the best idea to advertise on line for something you are going to sell at a local farmers market.
I would go with Lucifer's advice

I am not an official person, or know any inside information, but I can give you my best guess.
Ed has a trademark on the name, Smoking Ed's Carolina Reaper. Because of that, nobody can sell a product with that exact name unless they have a deal with Ed. I am assuming that just Carolina Reaper is alright. The second problem is where your seeds come from. Last time I saw Ed's website he said that his seeds are too be used for noncommercial purposes. This would mean that if you buy his seeds you have a verbal contract not to sell products that come from those seeds. He mentions the same for his official vendors, but I would think there is a loophole if those vendors don't mention the same rule on their website. Nobody can assume that when you buy a product from one website that you saw what was mentioned in another website.
Bottom line is that if you bought seeds from Ed, I would say you can't sell anything. Buy them from a source like Refining Chile's, you haven't agreed not to sell a product. But in any case you can't use the formal name of the pepper.
There again, I can be wrong. Tom

cycadjungle said:
I am not an official person, or know any inside information, but I can give you my best guess.
Ed has a trademark on the name, Smoking Ed's Carolina Reaper. Because of that, nobody can sell a product with that exact name unless they have a deal with Ed. I am assuming that just Carolina Reaper is alright. The second problem is where your seeds come from. Last time I saw Ed's website he said that his seeds are too be used for noncommercial purposes. This would mean that if you buy his seeds you have a verbal contract not to sell products that come from those seeds. He mentions the same for his official vendors, but I would think there is a loophole if those vendors don't mention the same rule on their website. Nobody can assume that when you buy a product from one website that you saw what was mentioned in another website.
Bottom line is that if you bought seeds from Ed, I would say you can't sell anything. Buy them from a source like Refining Chile's, you haven't agreed not to sell a product. But in any case you can't use the formal name of the pepper.
There again, I can be wrong. Tom
if you take those 10 seeds you buy, grow 10 plants save seeds then grow 100 plants then save seeds from those second gen plants you broken away from the contract from the original seeds bought from ed.

Nightshade said:
if you take those 10 seeds you buy, grow 10 plants save seeds then grow 100 plants then save seeds from those second gen plants you broken away from the contract from the original seeds bought from ed.
Hmm I see, the seeds I bought are from RFC, so that means its all good to grow for seed and call them what they are? Carolina reapers....damn this technicality dilemma lol

insted of calling them Carolina Reapers you could call them just "Reapers" to distant them even farther, if they grow true, you could call them Refine Reapers as they are true to discription, Just a thought anyways. :whistle:

OK, I just talked to Ed and he basically put it this way, plain and simple. He is not the least bit concerned about hobbyist or small time growers wanting to make a little extra cash at the farmers marker etc etc selling seeds, pods or products made from them. The protections and registrations that are in place are there to protect the name and product from large for profit growers and companies that have not been granted permission to market the Carolina Reaper.

As far as I am aware the above statements are correct, he only owns the name. Apparently there is a separate way to "own" a strain of a type of plant, but Ed hasn't completed that aspect of it so it's my understanding that you can sell the peppers just not using "smokin eds Carolina reaper" ... However I have heard of him threaten growers that ended up ripping out their plants in fear of a lawsuit, but it doesn't appear that it would of held up in court...so sad, all those plants (hundreds) slaughtered :(

Xo nicole

Nicole said:
As far as I am aware the above statements are correct, he only owns the name. Apparently there is a separate way to "own" a strain of a type of plant, but Ed hasn't completed that aspect of it so it's my understanding that you can sell the peppers just not using "smokin eds Carolina reaper" ... However I have heard of him threaten growers that ended up ripping out their plants in fear of a lawsuit, but it doesn't appear that it would of held up in court...so sad, all those plants (hundreds) slaughtered :(

Xo nicole
If this were in fact the case and the alleged threat had no teeth, I don't believe they would be ripping out their crops.

HP22BH said:
If this were in fact the case and the alleged threat had no teeth, I don't believe they would not be ripping out their crops.

They were scared and did it out of fear of losing their farm if they were sued, they didn't do their research . It's truly unfortunate.
sicman said:
no plants were harmed in the making of this lie :rofl:
. Are you saying that I'm lying? Because I'm just relaying information that has been shared with me, take it how you want I was just responding to whoever was interested in what exactly ed had patented

Or maybe they did do the research after the fact and that is why they pulled the crop. That truly makes more sense.

But this is getting off topic. The bottom line is, if your not a big business, you are not going to be targeted.

HP22BH said:
OK, I just talked to Ed and he basically put it this way, plain and simple. He is not the least bit concerned about hobbyist or small time growers wanting to make a little extra cash at the farmers marker etc etc selling seeds, pods or products made from them. The protections and registrations that are in place are there to protect the name and product from large for profit growers and companies that have not been granted permission to market the Carolina Reaper.
Thanks a bunch man. I seriously appreciate it. That's awesome though,from the looks of it seems like Mr. Currie is protecting the reaper from falling into the hands of big business. Looking out for the little guys...love that man. Can't thank you enough, that seriously cleared a lot up for me.

Btw wow...this thread has seriously flamed a bit lol.

Back