• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pimenta de Neyde are so freakin` cool!!!

Nigel,
Here are flowers on mine with a pod below.
13968286865300.jpg

Such a beautiful plant alround!
:)

AjiJoe mentioned that he didn't care much for the flavor.  I wonder if that was because it had a bitter taste, as I have found that some purple ornamental peppers have a distinct bitter taste to them. The plant is quite cool looking though,  I'll have to try and get some seed of it for next year.

wildseed57 said:
AjiJoe mentioned that he didn't care much for the flavor.  I wonder if that was because it had a bitter taste, as I have found that some purple ornamental peppers have a distinct bitter taste to them. The plant is quite cool looking though,  I'll have to try and get some seed of it for next year.
I wonder if that may be why there are sooo many pimenta du neyde X *****.    To add flavor profiles while removing the bitterness.
While mine don't look nearly as nice as Nigel's, it is starting to turn purple. just moved it to a #1 pot.

I disagree on flavor(I think it's good). They have a unique and complex flavor that has very long lasting aftertaste that I enjoy. I crossed them with the Jonah (best tasting 7 pot imo) for their unique flavor and purpling. The offspring of that cross tasted awesome to me (strong pimenta de Neyde flavor with Jonah undercurrent). I can't wait to see Nigel and others' opinion on the F2s. I'm not good at describing flavors, but it's a unique flavor. It doesn't taste like the ornamental peppers.

Paulmtonkin does a review that talks about the flavor of the Pimenta de Neyde about 2 mins into this video, but he doesn't say whether he liked it or not:
About 2:50 Bill Moore's Hot & Spicy Reviews eats and then describes the pimenta de Neyde flavor and gives his opinion that it tastes good:
These two describe it better than I could (really wish I could!). I can't wait to see Nigel's review of this awesome pepper either!

I'm very interested in other people's opinions on the flavor of the pimenta de Neyde. The F1 Jonah cross was even more complex. I could taste the whole pimenta de Neyde flavor with an undertone of Jonah.

HP22BH said:
I wonder if that may be why there are sooo many pimenta du neyde X *****.    To add flavor profiles while removing the bitterness.
While mine don't look nearly as nice as Nigel's, it is starting to turn purple. just moved it to a #1 pot.

My main reason was due to the poor production of the pimenta da Neyde. I also liked how the plant looked and I loved the flavor, but it's a lanky plant. The cross I did so far improved the flavor and production. The bitterness didn't bother me. It's very slight.

Back