• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How do you make peppers stronger?

Some peppers are just naturally atomic in the first place, and if you were to cross them with another very hot pepper you might come up with a hybrid cross that is even hotter. If I remember right the Bhut Jolokia was bred to be very hot by the government of India because they needed something that was highly irritant that could be used much like tear gas for crowd and riot control, but could also be used close up on people where as tear gas could only be used at a distance and would often blow back on the police or soldiers.
Don't take this as Gospel as I could be wrong, but pepper spray is quite effective against people and some Animals although it is ineffective if the people have conditioned themselves against it.  Also I would not try using it on a Elephant or Grizzly Bear.

All in all,  its all in the genetics of the species of pepper used. Frankly I would rather eat a pepper that had a lot of flavor over one that was so hot that you couldn't tell what it tasted like.  Also I don't care much for the aftermath that some of the super hots cause like cramps and that Fiery time on the toilet the next day.

wildseed57 said:
Also I don't care much for the aftermath that some of the super hots cause like cramps and that Fiery time on the toilet the next day.

I fell in to a burning ring of fire, I went down down down, the flames went higher,

That's the best part, second only to eating :D

Interesting things from Wisconsin! (yeah I know, surprised me too)

Link Lunk

I'd use pepper spray on elephants. They're scared sh*tless by bhuts. 

Peppers become stronger when crossed because sometimes only superhot genes are passed on instead of mild ones. Take it as A=superhot a=mildly hot. Mixing could cause AA instead of Aa or aa.

I'd use pepper spray on elephants. They're scared sh*tless by bhuts. 

Peppers become stronger when crossed because sometimes only superhot genes are passed on instead of mild ones. Take it as A=superhot a=mildly hot. Mixing could cause AA instead of Aa or aa.
This makes sense! Thanks!

Plant genes often will surprise us by throwing us something new and exciting every once in a while, take a look at what some of the gurus here are up to,  really very interesting,
Oh by the way if Grizzly comes near you and you hear what sounds like cans bumping into each other, that is the sounds of mace cans and whistles,  they are just appetizers, before the main course. Mace and whistles just work on black bears mostly although that is debatable, on Grizzles it just adds to the nuance of the meal.

Any time you start a new plant from seed, you don't know exactly what your going to get, even if you just pollinate a plant. Cross two different types and you increase the genetic diversity of your seedlings. You have to take sometimes 100s of plants and check them for the attributes your looking to create. Of your looking for heat, pick out your plants. Or pod shape,if this is what your looking for.
Then there are ways t to make hotter peppers using cultivation techniques, but I'm thinking you aren't looking for this in this thread. Tom

Back