•  

The 10th Annual Hot Pepper Awards Winners Announced!

Photo

The Pest Guide

Aphids white fly gnats

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Poll: Broad Mites (44 member(s) have cast votes)

What Threat Level would you rate Broad Mites 1-10? Concider damage, control, prevention, and how annoying.

1. 4 (2 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

2. 5 (1 votes [2.27%])

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

3. 6 (5 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

4. 7 (9 votes [20.45%])

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

5. 8 (12 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

6. 9 (15 votes [34.09%])

Percentage of vote: 34.09%

What Threat Level would you rate Fungus Gnats 1-10? Concider damage, control, prevention, and how annoying.

1. 1 (4 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. 2 (5 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

3. 3 (11 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. 4 (6 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

5. 5 (7 votes [15.91%])

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

6. 6 (2 votes [4.55%])

7. 7 (2 votes [4.55%])

8. 8 (7 votes [15.91%])

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 GhostPepperz

GhostPepperz

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:45 AM

I really need to study up on pests. Its something I have put off while fiddling with just a few plants per year. Now I am thinking bigger, and have seen too many stories about a grow being wiped out, or hit hard with something they were caught off guard by. 

Keep up the fire  

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#142 Fieryguitarist

Fieryguitarist

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:06 PM

Aphid IMG
Threat level: 5
Control: Water with dish soap, 1 Tbsp of soap per gallon (avoid run off in to soil if possible)
Biological Control: Ladybugs and other beneficial insects.
Prevention:
Damage caused: Chewed up leaves, damaged new growth.

Just tried the dish soap method for aphid control, wishing for the best!!!

#143 Jacobt

Jacobt

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

What would eat green peppers? I have two Hungarian hot wax plants. The peppers get about 2-3 inches long then disappear. No leaf damage. Pants are in the backyard so no one else has access to them. The pepper stem is still there. Just no peppers. Any ideas?

#144 Pepper-Guru

Pepper-Guru

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts
  • Location:In the Soil Food Web or performing cunnilingus on a Yellow 7 Pod

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:07 PM

What would eat green peppers? I have two Hungarian hot wax plants. The peppers get about 2-3 inches long then disappear. No leaf damage. Pants are in the backyard so no one else has access to them. The pepper stem is still there. Just no peppers. Any ideas?

Tomato HornWorms eat peppers. Could be many little animals. 

Feed the Soil

#145 mrgrowguy

mrgrowguy

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • aka:mrgg*, aka Brian Dade

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:48 PM

Also, other types of caterpillars eat peppers. I have found some tiny brown and green ones literally inside the peppers chompin away a few times.

And, don't forget about slugs and snails. I'm pretty sure they just eat the leaves, but they love pepper plants. I had leaves missing each morning and only figured it out when I saw the trail leading to/from the trunk.

Edited by mrgrowguy, 25 May 2016 - 04:59 PM.

That's right, I grow!!!    :hot:     instagram.com/mrgrowguy/      Don't be afraid to like people's posts! It costs you nothing and it encourages people to post more!

#146 twiasp

twiasp

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:53 PM

Not sure if this works or not, but find it curious that I have now heard it from 2 old farmers to prevent cutworms.  They said take some small, maybe 8 penny nails, non galvanized or coated, and just put 3-4 of them around the base of the plant in the ground.  They said cutworms will not bother your plants anymore and just till them into the soil at the end of the year and they rust out giving iron to the plants. 

Like stated, not sure if this is superstition or something that works.

Edited by twiasp, 25 May 2016 - 06:54 PM.

#147 mrgrowguy

mrgrowguy

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:26 PM

From Home Depot

http://www.homedepot...OQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

c6738004-367e-4446-b0c0-51c8a1b51df4_400

This should work in much the same way

That's right, I grow!!!    :hot:     instagram.com/mrgrowguy/      Don't be afraid to like people's posts! It costs you nothing and it encourages people to post more!

#148 mrgrowguy

mrgrowguy

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:14 AM

• Pics from Google Search
  • 7656590272_c7f6e62371_b.jpg
  • whiteflycol_1000.jpg
  • Look at all those mating pairs (above)
  • Whitefly_Indoors1603.jpg
  • Whiteflies

Threat level: 3

Control: Azamax; neem; foggers; hot shot pest strip

Biological Control: ladybugs; lacewing larva (eat larval whiteflies before they can fly)

Prevention:

Damage caused: The larva and nymphs suck sap from the leaves; can cause discoloration and loss of leaves; can spread viruses and bacteria

I just wanted to add this because I had been battling a whitefly problem for weeks now. I have a large Olive Tree which is infested and while I work on fixing that, many of the whiteflies have found their way into my grow room (garage).

After trying a few things, including Doktor Doom fogger (which helped but didn't eradicate), I tried just sticking one of those Hot Shot strips inside the vent (literally shoving it down the pipe) that feeds into my grow tent. Within 2-3 days, they were all gone!

recommended  for indoor/tent (not for you strict organic people, try giving the plant a hug instead. Singing may increase the effectiveness of hugs)

51X7oqbFlBL._AC_UL320_SR164,320_.jpg

UPDATE: I have since found a few white flies in the tent, this did not eradicate them, but it did make a serious dent in the population.

Edited by mrgrowguy, 17 June 2016 - 11:35 AM.

#149 Neel

Neel

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:56 AM

My plants have had fungus gnats for some time, I keep the soil as dry as possible but they seem to return after every watering. They haven't done any noticeable damage but they're bugging me. My local garden store sells a product against soil fungus and one against soil insects. Is my assumption that by getting the anti fungal one the gnats will leave when there is no more food left correct or would I be safer getting the insect killer?

#150 Hybrid_Mode_01

Hybrid_Mode_01

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts
  • aka:Shonas
  • Location:A pepper patch in the middle of a cornfield (Western Illinois)
  • (x1)

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

My plants have had fungus gnats for some time, I keep the soil as dry as possible but they seem to return after every watering. They haven't done any noticeable damage but they're bugging me. My local garden store sells a product against soil fungus and one against soil insects. Is my assumption that by getting the anti fungal one the gnats will leave when there is no more food left correct or would I be safer getting the insect killer?

Fungus gnats eat plant roots. Killing soil fungus won't help anything. I found an water dispersable Bt product on Amazon that works really well against fungus gnats. Pretty cheap, too.

"Shut the f**k up, Donny!" -Walter Sobchak

#151 solid7

solid7

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:20 PM

Fungus gnats eat plant roots. Killing soil fungus won't help anything. I found an water dispersable Bt product on Amazon that works really well against fungus gnats. Pretty cheap, too.

Fungus gnat larvae only eat the soft young roots of immature plants. They won't harm a plant of any size.

If you really want to keep fungus gnats at bay, top dress your containers with a product called "growstones". Works like a champ. Otherwise, the gnats are harmless, and will actually benefit if you have an organic grow.

Edited by solid7, 02 August 2016 - 08:20 PM.

Dave2000 - "Problem is, you happened upon the REAL DEAL."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users