• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Already thinking about next season's peppers...

So, I don't even have any mature plants yet other than my overwinters and I'm already thinking about seeds for next year :P (I'm assuming this is normal around here)

Some of the varieties I'm considering so far, if any of you have any experience or reviews of them...I'm picking most of my collection additions because they seem unusual or "out of the box" so to speak.  I'm sure this will change drastically by the time NEXT year's seeding comes around but as an idea of what I'm looking at so far

Safi:
Apparently the western African version of a 7 pot
41FGXIa9HQL._SS270_.jpg

Sangria (probably an F1, not sure)
d71da4a5754c74cf299b64163f8d0f52.jpg

Filius blue:
filius%20pepper3.jpg

Malaysian Goronong
photo_019.jpg

I'm also always on the hunt for unusual dwarf ornamentals :mouthonfire:

Looking good.  I was actually doing the same thing in my head last night for next year as well.  I thought I was the only one with a problem, and this is my first year! :dance:

I really like those Sangria Peppers, I think they would be a nice decorative in the front flowerbed.

Last year I grew almost exclusively peppers in my garden.  Had everything from jalapenos up to scorpions.  I still have quite a few bags of them in my freezer.  I think this year, I am going to tone down the number of pepper plants I have... maybe just grow a few japs, cayenne, scotch bonnet, and fatalii.  I think I am going to focus more on some vegetables that I can use for meals.  I just have a small raised garden, so space is limited.  Time will tell though.  :)

westin said:
Last year I grew almost exclusively peppers in my garden.  Had everything from jalapenos up to scorpions.  I still have quite a few bags of them in my freezer.  I think this year, I am going to tone down the number of pepper plants I have... maybe just grow a few japs, cayenne, scotch bonnet, and fatalii.  I think I am going to focus more on some vegetables that I can use for meals.  I just have a small raised garden, so space is limited.  Time will tell though.   :)
Tune down the number of peppers plants?  Are you sure you're on the right website? ;)
I do use peppers for meals, my pepper with the most slots in my garden is NuMex Big Jim for stuffing with venison mixtures. :)

obchili said:
Looking good.  I was actually doing the same thing in my head last night for next year as well.  I thought I was the only one with a problem, and this is my first year! :dance:

I really like those Sangria Peppers, I think they would be a nice decorative in the front flowerbed.
I have a soft spot for skinny upright peppers, and those look amazing

Spicegeist said:
So you're into unusual peppers?  I may have a few for you to try...
I've been watching your glog a bit, it's kind of intimidating :D  I'd be willing to try some freak peppers though, especially knowing they'll do fine in Virginia :)  I may even have some unusual crosses myself this year, One I'm aiming for is 7 pot white X Bhut white when the time comes

ikeepfish said:
Tune down the number of peppers plants?  Are you sure you're on the right website? ;)
I do use peppers for meals, my pepper with the most slots in my garden is NuMex Big Jim for stuffing with venison mixtures. :)

Haha... I figured I would get a reply like that.  :)  I use peppers for meals too, but I would like to have room for squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.  The peppers I have been growing don't necessarily lend themselves to being a big part of a meal.  If I brought my wife a plate of sauteed red savinas, I would probably be sleeping on the couch.  :D   My garden is about 7'x4.5', so it fills up pretty quickly.  I have been thinking about expanding it, but haven't gotten around to it.  I did some growing out of 5 gallon buckets last year, and that seemed to work well, as long as I remembered to water them often enough.  ;)

westin said:

Haha... I figured I would get a reply like that.   :)  I use peppers for meals too, but I would like to have room for squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.  The peppers I have been growing don't necessarily lend themselves to being a big part of a meal.  If I brought my wife a plate of sauteed red savinas, I would probably be sleeping on the couch.   :D   My garden is about 7'x4.5', so it fills up pretty quickly.  I have been thinking about expanding it, but haven't gotten around to it.  I did some growing out of 5 gallon buckets last year, and that seemed to work well, as long as I remembered to water them often enough.   ;)
I'm not much of a container person, partly on the watering requirement, but I recently made a few SIP buckets using globalbuckets.org design. 
If these test buckets show promise, I hope to have accumulated several recycle  5 gals and enough home-made container soil to make the 2015 season interesting.

I know nothing about any of those peppers, ikeep, but I'm looking to grow the Naga King and Cumari do Para for 2015.

Though not a hot pepper, this year I'm most looking forward to re-growing Padrons to skillet blister as fresh, young green peppers. They start to pick up a little heat as they mature, but they are a true late summer treat. Hoping for this year the Nu-Mex 6-4 will live up to a similar profile.

Happy Pepper Hunting.

P.S. I'd recommend looking at several of Nigel's Youtube pepper reviews to help with pepper selection.

Back