• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chillies suitable for Indian Cuisine

Hi

I would be very grateful if anyone could advise me if they know of any varieties of chilli specifically suited to Indian Cuisine.
I know many restaurants like to use their chillies green, which chillies are good to pick green?

Thanks (again!)

Well Kashmiri is only used fully ripen. the bright red color is one of the reasons of using it. :shocked:
Yep I like Kashmiri, but many other chiles are just as good. try some of the African chiles, they're actually pretty good. some of the Cayenne types especially.

Hi Tori,

Any type of long cayenne, picked green should be fine for Indian cousine. Make sure, the green chilli has already matured before picking, so it is not too green.

Other chillies that works for indian cooking is any Thai Variety, PC-1, and Lousiana Cayenne. Here is my LA cayenne from last year. THey work great making stuffed potato paratha...yumm.
Happy growing..

IMG_0007.jpg

Yep, I also like the cayennes and Thai chillies in my cooking to add some heat....
Tori, you should also look in the recipe section here, there's some really great stuff.....[I'm definitely going try to make that fish recipe with the Kashmiri chillies that you posted Omri]

Nice looking looking plants Sanjay!

Sanj said:
Hi Tori,

Any type of long cayenne, picked green should be fine for Indian cousine. Make sure, the green chilli has already matured before picking, so it is not too green.

Other chillies that works for indian cooking is any Thai Variety, PC-1, and Lousiana Cayenne. Here is my LA cayenne from last year. THey work great making stuffed potato paratha...yumm.
Happy growing..

IMG_0007.jpg

S:mouthonfire:tuffed potatoe who?Recipie please!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I have checked out those really helpful links thanks and the picture of the Louisiana Cayenne was wonderful. I get so carried away reading al the threads in the gardening i never thought to look in recipes!
Thanks again

Back