How to mail LIVE plants

Not sure if this is right area...MODS please move if needed

I recently sent some live plants from Colorado to Florida.  They spent about four days in the dark and arrived healthy and undamaged. I thought I would share how I sent them for other members who are thinking of sending plants through the mail but are unsure on the process. I used the 4" square containers but i think i have an idea for those that use the solo cups too. I will post that a little later. My thought process was I need to wrap these in a way that the plants will not move freely in the box, even when the box was tipped on its side, upside down, shaken, etc.

Start by giving the plant a good soaking
1.jpg

then pack the soil down on the sides
2.jpg

take two damp papertowels and wrap around the plant
3.jpg

taping--start at base of the plant and work out
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

you will need four cardboard peices that are at the same hieght as your shipping box
7.jpg

and the same width as your plant container
8.jpg

when you have them all cut lay them out and tape the backside
9.jpg

wrap cardboard around the plant container and tightly tape the top and bottom
10.jpg

11.jpg

Once your done you should be able to pick the plant up by the cardboard and it not fall through, this will help if the box gets turned upside down
12.jpg

Almost done
13.jpg

Place in the box and stuff empty space full of newspaper
14.jpg

write "LIVE PLANTS THIS SIDE UP" on the box and poke about 8 holes around the box for the plant to breathe.

You can make a piece of cardboard tht covers the pot and tapes to your inner box, so if it gets dropped upsidedown your plant doesnt crush.
honestly I wouldnt write "LIVE PLANTS THIS SIDE UP". shipping to any state. might work this week but next week you might encounter a postal worker who goes by the books and takes your plants. I think california and hawaii are the most strict. or when shipping from florida

I'll confirm that the plants did arrive in great shape and after a week hardening off are out having fun in the sun, though I think the Marzano might have to go into a shady area when the full on Florida Sun comes out in another month or so. I received the plants direct form the hands of the postal worker and she even looked at me and said, Iknow you've been waiting on these plant to get here. So there's no problems with live plants in FL.

Thanks again BB81 and that salt is killer!

As a Fl resident I can confirm I also received a package recently labeled "Fragile! Live Plants" with no issues. They were packaged very similar except the shipper used the kind of paper you put in gift bags. They shipped much better than the other time I received plants in the mail.

RocketMan said:
I'll confirm that the plants did arrive in great shape and after a week hardening off are out having fun in the sun, though I think the Marzano might have to go into a shady area when the full on Florida Sun comes out in another month or so. I received the plants direct form the hands of the postal worker and she even looked at me and said, Iknow you've been waiting on these plant to get here. So there's no problems with live plants in FL.

Thanks again BB81 and that salt is killer!
Plants from colorado...she may have mistook them for the medicinal type? :rofl:

Back