• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

question about leaves

99.99% of the time it's from overwatering, whether it be from rain,  your watering efforts, or both. The leaves that have yellowed won't typically return to green, but new growth coming in should come in greener if you can back off on the water somehow. If it's all from rain, that can be hard to do, though putting a tarp up may help. 

geeme said:
99.99% of the time it's from overwatering, whether it be from rain,  your watering efforts, or both. The leaves that have yellowed won't typically return to green, but new growth coming in should come in greener if you can back off on the water somehow. If it's all from rain, that can be hard to do, though putting a tarp up may help. 
thanks i really have to stop but i cant help myself somtimes since the top dries out 

newpeppergrower1105 said:
thanks i really have to stop but i cant help myself somtimes since the top dries out 
It is difficult to not water i know but wait until the leaves start to droop a bit then u know watering is needed 

Same thing here. The top dries out daily and I tend to water daily.

Some of my youngest are suffering from the lower leaves yellowing.

I held off watering one day/ day in half because I heard that may help reduce the gnat population and they suffered serious wilt but they all came back.

How big are they?
Can you take and post some pictures?

Try getting a $5 box of Miracle Grow for tomatoes, or similar fertilizer.  (I mention it specifically simply because it's easy to find and supposedly well balanced for peppers.)  You might add a dash of epsom salt for magnesium.  Apply a 50% strength spray as a foliar feed every other day.  If they are nutritionally challenged, this should perk them up within a matter of days.  If not - STOP WATERING THEM!  :fireball:

If your plants still have their cotyledons they don't need any fertilizer, and even after dropping their cotyledons they don't need much - mix at 1/10 strength to start, and don't use it every watering. No pictures so we can't tell how old your plants are, but if still very young I wouldn't worry about ferts - the overwatering habit is the first thing to focus on, and yes, if you are watering every day it is too much. The surface of the soil being dry does not mean all of the soil is dry. As said above, let the leaves droop just a tad between waterings and you'll start to notice a difference.

jojo said:
what up neighbor, what part of the LBC are u from?
the north
geeme said:
If your plants still have their cotyledons they don't need any fertilizer, and even after dropping their cotyledons they don't need much - mix at 1/10 strength to start, and don't use it every watering. No pictures so we can't tell how old your plants are, but if still very young I wouldn't worry about ferts - the overwatering habit is the first thing to focus on, and yes, if you are watering every day it is too much. The surface of the soil being dry does not mean all of the soil is dry. As said above, let the leaves droop just a tad between waterings and you'll start to notice a difference.
thanks for the info, what are cotyledons? 

Cotyledons are also called "seed leaves", and are not true leaves. Like islander said, they are "born" with these - some plants have one cotyledon (monocots), many have two (dicots), and a few have three. Three can also occur occasionally in dicots. Chile pepper plants are dicots, so most of the time they come out with two cotyledons. The purpose of the cotyledons is to feed the plant during its initial stages of development, and are critical for it.

You'll find many posts on this site regarding "helmet head" - when the seed casing remains stuck to the cotyledons after they emerge from the seed. The plant can die if the cotyledons are too encased, so people want to remove the seed casing. This can be difficult to do and if the cotyledons are inadvertently removed from the plant it will die. To remove a seed casing, wet it then pinch along the seam to make the hole wider, then tug gently. Leave it alone if it doesn't easily come off and try again later. 

geeme said:
Cotyledons are also called "seed leaves", and are not true leaves. Like islander said, they are "born" with these - some plants have one cotyledon (monocots), many have two (dicots), and a few have three. Three can also occur occasionally in dicots. Chile pepper plants are dicots, so most of the time they come out with two cotyledons. The purpose of the cotyledons is to feed the plant during its initial stages of development, and are critical for it.

You'll find many posts on this site regarding "helmet head" - when the seed casing remains stuck to the cotyledons after they emerge from the seed. The plant can die if the cotyledons are too encased, so people want to remove the seed casing. This can be difficult to do and if the cotyledons are inadvertently removed from the plant it will die. To remove a seed casing, wet it then pinch along the seam to make the hole wider, then tug gently. Leave it alone if it doesn't easily come off and try again later. 
you sure know your peppers, thanks

Back