• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

tomatillo habanero grilled salsa & carne asada

Mesquite grilled with the brother in law tonight, who is a grill master with the "carne asada" norhtern Mexican style bbq. We're both from Torre[SIZE=11pt]ón[/SIZE]. We went economical today and for the meat we grilled some adobo marinated chicken quarters and pork ribeye's along with some asparagus. The grilled salsa turned out really great with a nice kick.

It was 5 tomatillos, 2 roma tomatoes, 2 jalape[SIZE=11pt]ños, 2 habaneros, half red onion, 1 garlic clove. All grilled with some chopped cilantro and 1 cubed avocado added after the salsa was crushed in the molcajete, seasoned with salt. We make fresh salsa/picos almost on a daily basis with whatever [/SIZE][SIZE=14.999999046325684px]ingredients[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] we have or whatever looks fresh in the market. Off course we all have our favorite salsas we grew up with that our grandmas made with their secret recipes, lol. IMO that's the great thing about fresh salsas, they can be made differently every day and in Mexico vary so much from region to region, with different chiles, climates and cultures.[/SIZE]
296gaon.jpg

c5lht.jpg

30arzm0.jpg

Sorry guys, I'm still getting the hang of it and didn't get a pick of the finished taco. But today we mesquite grilled pollo al achiote, Opa's jalapeño sausage,  new potatoes and a chopped salsa made with sweet peppers, hab, jalapeño, onion, roma tomatoes, cilantro, diced avocado and some lime juice that was delicious but not as hot as the last salsa with the molcajete. The chicken was special with my brother in laws achiote.
t8vuap.jpg

the salsa ingredients
ifyeyt.jpg

chopping the salsa,
20q1grn.jpg

el taco
2z9fpr6.jpg

Sure looks delicious!  I bought 2 tomatillo verde plants couple days ago.  If they produce for me I'll be making tomatillo salsa too.  About a month ago I 
found a Molcajete at a thrift store, but it doesn't have the tejolote. I was very happy to find it.

I woke up with food cravings, so today was another carne asada mesquite day, lol. I was at the grocery store and saw some choice NY strips that looked prime so I picked them up along with some mollejas de res (beef sweetbreads), anaheim peppers stuffed w/ cheese, and some costilla cargada (Mexican short rib) I had brought back from Piedras and marinaded Mexican style. For the pico I changed it up today and made it Mediterranean style with a Mexican kick with tomato, hearts of palm, basil, radish, onion, hab, parsley, olive oil and lemon juice seasoned with jugo maggi, celery salt and pepper. The NY strip just needed salt and pepper, we made one coated with rock salt, it was the best one. The mollejas I marinaded with lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, garlic, paprika, knorr suiza, onion powder, apple cider vinegar and some of those canned Chinese peppers I like. The salsa was grilled malcajete style with manzanos, hab, tomatillo, cilantro, onion and cubed avocado, it came out delicious but not super hot.

hearts of palm pico,
34o8uv5.jpg

short ribs, steak and chilaca
20aare8.jpg

mollejas marinade,
eff2tw.jpg

once medium done, the mollejas are butterflied and coated in the marinade and finished of.
2jb734p.jpg

buffet,
2iig3yw.jpg

mesquite NY strip was better than I've had at Perry and Ruth Chris
ojqp06.jpg

How have I missed this thread so far???  Holy crap that stuff has me drooling.  I will be watching from now on.

Back